walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

beinn chabhair

beinn chabhair

Postby Derekgs » Mon May 23, 2011 6:22 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Chabhair

Date walked: 22/05/2011

Time taken: 5 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Wet n Windy day, planned to do 3 Munros from Derrydarroch up Beinn Chabhair and across to An Caisteal and Bienn a'Chhroin. Defeated by puny legs and the Allt a'Chuillinn which we had planned to jump across much lower down, it was swollen by 36hrs of rain and we didn't fancy a renactment of the Soldier's Leap. Therefore headed all the way up the Corrie and then up the NE side of Chabhair.

Great (brief) views from the summit, S along Loch Lomond, North towards Ben Oss but it was a wee bit blowy! Decided to get off asap and chickened out of heading over to Beinn a'Chroin and An Caisteal...although I'm sure they're not as demanding as they look from Beinn Chabhair.

Dead easy path back down NW side, wish we had come up this way. Wind was 'picking up' a bit!! Then tramped down the giant sponge to Glen Falloch.

Good day out, should have thought ahead a bit more about getting across the river! Glad for a beer in the Ardlui hotel and watching the rain sweep across the Loch...
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Derekgs
Munro compleatist

Munros:14   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:2

Re: beinn chabhair

Postby skuk007 » Wed May 25, 2011 8:18 pm

Derekgs wrote:...I'm sure they're not as demanding as they look from Beinn Chabhair...

Managed to bag these three in a long hot day last year. If you get the weather and are not in a rush then these three in a day are quite do-able. I remember the down and up between Chabhair and Beinn a'Chroin being particularly hard work.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby steven671 » Fri May 27, 2011 8:36 am

well done,i done these 3 on the 18th april,took 9 1/2 hour`s,found them quite easy
steven671
Mountaineer

Munros:26   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby monty » Fri May 27, 2011 9:41 am

Good effort on getting out derek. I done the three last year in great weather. It makes a difference :lol:
monty

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland