walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Pap of Glencoe

The Pap of Glencoe

Postby lomondwalkers » Tue May 24, 2011 3:44 pm

Route description: The Pap of Glencoe

Fionas included on this walk: Pap of Glencoe

Date walked: 19/05/2011

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 779m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having recently got my bestest bud Del Boy into this hill walking malarky, I decided it was time he got to see the stunning Glencoe for himself, fair to say he was gobsmacked and intimidated at the same time, but he needn't have worried, the wee pap was our hill of choice for today and hopefully we would enjoy some fine views. The journey up was an absolute joy, with the clouds lifting off the big Bookil just as we arrived
PICT0066.JPG

Parked in parking bay just before the bridge over the River Coe at the end of Glencoe Village. Followed the tarmac road for a short distance past an electricity substation then headed up through a gate on the left towards the waterworks. Shortly before the waterworks we headed over the bridge to the right and followed the fairly level path to the stream. Already views were starting to open up, unfortunately, so were the skies!! :evil:
PICT0088.JPG

Once over the stream the path began to steepen as we headed towards the col and was quite boggy in places, but before long the dome of The Pap was in sight, and it was looking as though we may get our hands dirty 8)
PICT0089.JPG

Once at the base of the summit dome the path then led up through rocks and boulders and I guess you could make the journey to the summit a few interesting ways, but following the path gave us no difficulties with just a few very minor scrambles
PICT0091.JPG
PICT0092.JPG

Fantastic views all around at the summit, with Del Boys first ever sight of The Ben. Absolute gem of a wee hill, and has certainly whetted the appetite to get back to Glencoe asap and get at the Munros. I shall leave you with a few of many summit pics and the "one day I'm going to scare the s*%t out of myself" Aonach Eagach Ridge :problem:
PICT0094.JPG
Del Boy admiring the views - NOT!!
PICT0099.JPG
PICT0100.JPG
PICT0103.JPG
PICT0104.JPG
PICT0105.JPG
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Re: The Pap of Glencoe

Postby ken reid » Tue May 24, 2011 5:01 pm

excelent report like you I can't waite to get back up to glen coe althogh I have dun all the munros here they are well worth a second and or third visit :D
ken reid
Mountain Walker

Munros:246   

Postby lomondwalkers » Tue May 24, 2011 9:29 pm

Cheers Ken, we can't wait to get at the Glencoe munros now. I'd go there every week if I could
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Postby rockhopper » Tue May 24, 2011 9:44 pm

Good stuff. Have seen it and photographed it often enough but never walked beyond the low level walks at the foot of it before. Really must try to get up there. :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Bod » Thu May 26, 2011 12:38 am

Great report on one of Scotland's finest Grahams. Only been next to it myself coming off Aonach Eagach, so must get back and pay due respect. Agree! Every week would be the biz.....
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby lomondwalkers » Thu May 26, 2011 7:53 pm

Its a great wee walk, definitely worth a visit
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland