walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

a, chailleach and sgurr breac

a, chailleach and sgurr breac

Postby mgmt! » Tue May 24, 2011 5:15 pm

Route description: Sgùrr Breac & A' Chailleach: Western Fannichs

Munros included on this walk: A' Chailleach (Fannichs), Sgùrr Breac

Date walked: 24/05/2011

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 1143m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

with the bad weather forcast i called off a visit to skye at the weekend, i decided to head up to ullapool to try some solo or doubles to keep momentum and fitness up. mountain thyme phoned me and as her planned trip to an teallach was also called off she decided to join me. after a really blowy night camping it was with reluctance we got up and eventually decided to give it a go. the tops were dusted with a little overnight snow as we set of down the track towards the boathouse at loch a, bhraoin.
P5210001.JPG
leitir fhearna from path towards the boathouse

as we approached the boathouse i noticed a path to the left which i remembered skipped out the very boggy path from the boathouse to the bridge. we crossed the bridge and headed up the leitir fhearna. there is a little path which zig zaggs up through the crags.
P5210003.JPG
little nest on the leitir fhearna

once on the ridge of the druim reidh the forcast wind soon got up and we headed south towards toman coinich. as we headed along i noticed a stalkers path to the right that looked as if it would take us to the bealach with a, chaillach. we took this and sure enough the path contoured the foot of some crags and a short ascent later we were at the bealach.
P5210004.JPG
sgurr breac from druim reidh
P5210007.JPG
a, chailleach from druim reidh

once at the bealach the wind got even worse, the clag came down and we took a battering as we ascended the ridge to the summit of a, chaillach. we didnt hang about and decended back to the bealach. with the high winds the rain and clag was coming and going. we then headed up to toman coinich. there was some deep drifts of snow on the bealach between toman coinich and the final munro sgurr breac.
P5210012.JPG
sgurr breac from toman coinich

we headed over the snow, past a little cain to the summit of sgurr breac.
P5210015.JPG
summit of sgurr breac

we returned by retracing our way back to toman coinich and decending back down the druim reidh and leitir fhearne to the car. with the bad weather forcast i wasnt looking foward to the walk but i had a fantastic day, wind snow, rain and sun, with lots of wind thrown in, when the cloud lifted we had some great views and everything was so crisp. we actually completed the walk in 5 hours 40 minutes, we headed off into ullapool ellated.
P5210013.JPG
mountain thyme in the snow
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

mgmt!
Mountaineer

Re: a, chailleach and sgurr breac

Postby monty » Wed May 25, 2011 11:07 am

Well done Mgmt and MT,
Good report in bad conditions. I was meant to be camping this week but decided against it with the bad weather forecast. Quite a bit of snow up there considering these are smaller munros :o Is that a fresh snowfall? You must have eagle eyes to spot that nest :lol:
monty

Postby mgmt! » Wed May 25, 2011 7:53 pm

thanks for taking the time to reply monty on what was a very poor weekend weather wise, the fact we completed 3 munros over the weekend was testamount to wee mountain thymes doggednesss and determination, most guys would have thrown the towel in once we hit the 1st ridge. i only spotted the nest because the little bird almost flew into me on exiting it, dont hink it heard us coming, yes it was fresh snow, there where some large drifts on the lee slopes, thanks again for posting monty
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby monty » Thu May 26, 2011 9:54 pm

No worries Mgmt,
I went up yesterday and wild camped. Also done these two in atrocious conditions hahaha. Report to follow. :D
monty

Postby weebookil » Thu May 26, 2011 10:14 pm

Well done MGMT and MT in getting out and walking 2 munros in those conditions.. Dont think a lot of people managed out last weekend!
weebookil
Mountaineer

Munros:245   Corbetts:1

Postby mgmt! » Thu May 26, 2011 11:45 pm

thanks weebookill, we also done ben wyvis in a gale on the sunday, so 3 munros was a good call seeing most folk opted to stay home.
well done monty, the weather has been crap all week and it seems to be the same this weekend high winds, low cloud, snow and rain. me and mountain thyme are heading out this weekend opting to bothy rather than camp, why dont you come join us ? email or txt mt and she will give you the plan of attack !!!
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby monty » Fri May 27, 2011 12:12 am

Thanks Mgmt. I would love to come along but my left knee is now swollen now. I bet it will be stiff and painful in the morning so dont think i will be out for a few weeks. :(
monty

Postby Johnny Corbett » Fri May 27, 2011 6:14 pm

Is that a bigger rucksack i spot on MT's back?
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby andyroog » Fri May 27, 2011 8:19 pm

Very Well done u2 thats some bad weather love the determination and some cracking phots as well :D
andyroog
Scrambler

Munros:21   
Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:15   

Postby Bod » Sun May 29, 2011 6:18 pm

Great report and well done. Getting out this weekend was not possible for us, so enjoyed reading your report very much. Share your feelings on keeping fit and just loving being just "out there". Must follow you lead on this walk sometime, cheers... :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby mgmt! » Sun May 29, 2011 8:06 pm

johnny, no its not a bigger rucksac, mt knows how to pose to make it look that way. how come womans rucksacs are a lower volume than mens ? :?

andyroog, cheers mate, i,ll always try to get out on the hills whatever the weather throws up, thats part of the draw for me picking my whits with mother nature, although there is only going to be one winner ! had a horrendous day today on fionn bhienn, a so called "easy" hill, well mother nature blew me about like a rag doll, snowed, hailed and rained on me, only gave me a glimce of her summit, 3 hours of slogging but i loved every minute ! honest !!!!

bod, cheers glad you enjoyed the report and hope the weather turns so you can get out, our return route misses the very boggy path up the east side of sgurr breac, if you dont believe me ask monty :lol:
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby mountain thyme » Sun May 29, 2011 9:26 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:Is that a bigger rucksack i spot on MT's back?

haha. johnny MGMT talks nonsense....women just know how to pack better!!
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue May 31, 2011 8:46 pm

Sorry MT but i have to agree with MGMT. When it comes to choosing a rucksack woman pick the smallest one they can get their hands on but when it comes to going on holiday they pick the biggest suitcase going :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby mountain thyme » Tue May 31, 2011 8:54 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:Sorry MT but i have to agree with MGMT. When it comes to choosing a rucksack woman pick the smallest one they can get their hands on but when it comes to going on holiday they pick the biggest suitcase going :D

hey JC...nonsense.. we both carry the same items MGMT just tries to plump his out a bit to make it look bigger!
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby mgmt! » Tue May 31, 2011 11:09 pm

hey JC...nonsense.. we both carry the same items MGMT just tries to plump his out a bit to make it look bigger![/quote]

heh mt, i totally refute those allegations :shock: , i dont no any guy who tries to make his look bigger :?

think you need to check your vocabulary, some people could read it and come to the wrong conclusions :lol:
mgmt!
Mountaineer

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland