walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Binnein Mor, no less.

Binnein Mor, no less.

Postby blanchie » Fri May 27, 2011 5:26 pm

Route description: Binnein Mòr and Na Gruagaichean, Mamores

Munros included on this walk: Binnein Mòr, Na Gruagaichean

Date walked: 27/05/2011

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 14.5 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With a small weather window I hit the trail at 8.30am from the Grey Mare's car park. It was dry! Rain coming in at lunch time, but was it an early or late lunch?

The track out of the woods is woeful and a testament to what the combination of neglect, water and trail bikes can do. It improves after 2km but is not a patch on the well made stalkers track that I took up Sgorr Eilde Beag. This section almost made up for the yob/yobbess who had peeled an orange on the main path for about 1/4 mile discarding bright orange bits all over, and then to top it all, twice spat out the inedible pith. Fortunately I was walking with my poles and used the points to pick the litter up, but I couldn't get over the attitude.

Anyway, back to the fun. I had tried to combine Sgurr Eilde Mor, Binnein Beag and Binnein Mor earlier in the year but pulled off the last hill due to poor weather. I had always reckoned the way I went today, branching left off the path before it reached the Lochan, was going to be better route and it turned out to be a peach. Once on the broad ridge to the subsidiary tops it was an easy stroll to the top of the Mor.

Also seen the now customary pair of ptarmigan, but unable to retrieve the new camera in time. I've taken some panoramic photos with it and will try and upload these. And by the way the rain turned up for an early lunch!

DSCF0055.JPG
Back to Loch Leven

DSCF0061.JPG
To Sgurr Eilde Mor

DSCF0064.JPG
Binnein Beag

DSCF0066.JPG
Sgurr Eilde Mor, Lochan and broad ridge

DSCF0068.JPG
Stitch of Na Gruagaichean etc

DSCF0070.JPG
To Binnein Beag
Last edited by blanchie on Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blanchie
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:13
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:72
Wainwrights:111   

Re: Binnein Mor, no less.

Postby ChrisW » Fri May 27, 2011 7:22 pm

Some great pics there blanchie - you did well to see anything this week. Love the panorama and the last shot, beauties :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby andyroog » Fri May 27, 2011 9:07 pm

Well done on your walk :D and Some of the best phots i have seen very very good its nice to get them views
andyroog
Scrambler

Munros:21   
Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:15   

Postby blanchie » Sun May 29, 2011 6:36 pm

Its amazing what a good, not expensive camera can do. I should have ditched my phone camera (a Blackberry) some time ago as I have stacks of fairly average photos from it. The Fuji's panoramic stitching is a joy to work and its got a great management tool on the computer which plays them back as if you are rotating your head!
blanchie
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:13
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:72
Wainwrights:111   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland