walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vorlich and Stuc a'Chroin

Ben Vorlich and Stuc a'Chroin

Postby Dunfie » Sat May 28, 2011 7:01 pm

Route description: Ben Vorlich and Stùc a' Chròin

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn), Stùc a' Chròin

Date walked: 28/05/2011

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 13.5 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I have been wanting to get up these two for a while now so it was good to finally get them in a real three season day (it didn't quite get wam enough for a 4 season day). My keen companion was my son Cameron who is genuinely enjoying the mountain experiences (and not grudgingly tagging along to be the subject of my many photos).

We were off before 7 and headed up to Crieff so that we would take the south Lochearn Road. I hadn't realised just how rough a road it was - if I had known we would have travelled up via Callander. I was also surprised at the number of campers along Loch Earn but considering how many camp along Loch Lubnaig i suppose it is just normal at this time of year.

We arrived at the back of 8 and sat in the car for a few minutes to let a heavy rain shower pass but after than it didn't take too long to get adequately dressed and on the road.

View From car looking up to Ben Vorlich

Cameron at the Entrance to Ardvorlich House

On the way up the farm track I noticed the black sheep and the tiny lambs that were obviously a few weeks behind the other lamb population on the hill.

We were making steady progress, over three styles, two fords and a bridge until it opened out into a thin path up towards the peak.

We also caught a really nice shot of Meall Corranaich, Bienn Ghlas and Ben Lawers looking a bit moody

The weather had been a bit changeable all morning but as we approached the summit of Ben Vorlich we were caught by a very heavy hail shower that lasted a good ten minutes (my real use was demonstrated as Cameron shielded behind me during the downpour). We almost thought it was going to curtail the day - we were definitely going up Vorlich but if it continued we might leave Stuc a Chroin for another day. However the hail stopped and we continued up to the summit. It wasn't very nice at the summit as the wind was extremely strong so we just stayed a couple of minutes.

The discussion was now about whether to continue or head back down. Fortunately the other chap in the photo was continuing so it made the decision easier. I thought that we could go on to the bealach between the peaks and decide from there.

Stuc a'Chroin as we descended from Ben Vorlich

Back to Ben Vorlich

As we had been caught in a bad shower with high wind we decided to nip around to the right instead of scrambling straight up. We spoke to a couple of walkers who had gone straight up and they reported that it was actually okay but I didn't want to take the risk. We still made good time made it to the top before lunch.

Cameron on Stuc a Chroin with Ben Vorlich in the background

I popped down to the other cairn and took this one of Ben Ledi

We dropped back down and found the going really hard as it was really boggy and claggy as we worked around the side of Ben Vorlich. It took us around 6 hours from car to car and we had a good time.

To finish the day I managed to catch Ardvorlich House looking very pretty in a bit of sun before jumping in the car and heading west towards Callander.
Dunfie
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:70
Wainwrights:132   Islands:5

Re: Ben Vorlich and Stuc a'Chroin

Postby andyroog » Sat May 28, 2011 7:38 pm

Smashing report that and some good phots well done had my eye on these two for a while this might just kick me into gear and get them done read somewhere its possible to camp in the bealach area between the two? :D
andyroog
Scrambler

Munros:21   
Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:15   

Postby pollyh33 » Sat May 28, 2011 8:52 pm

Fantastic report. Well done to the wee man for bagging another two munros :D

Glad to see that you got much better weather than I did a couple of weeks ago. Lovely clear photos- well done! :)
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sun May 29, 2011 11:46 am

Picture 2 your son looks unhappy, but on Stuc a' Chroin he's perked up. Just shows what mountain therapy does for you :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Dunfie » Sun May 29, 2011 2:51 pm

Picture 2 doesn't tell the whole story. We forgot to take the shot on the way up so we took it at the end when he was shattered. :lol:
Dunfie
Mountain Walker

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sun May 29, 2011 3:45 pm

Dunfie wrote:Picture 2 doesn't tell the whole story. We forgot to take the shot on the way up so we took it at the end when he was shattered. :lol:

No wonder he looks shattered, that was a good effort from the young lad. I hope it hasn't put him off.
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Dunfie » Sun May 29, 2011 4:22 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:No wonder he looks shattered, that was a good effort from the young lad. I hope it hasn't put him off.

He is fine - it was a long boggy walk out from Stuc a Chroin and round Ben Vorlich to meet the main path that did for him. He is now sitting on 9 munros so the plan is to move into double figures next weekend.
Dunfie
Mountain Walker

Postby Del246 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:22 pm

Good report. Was the bypass route on to Struc a Chroin easy enough to find ? This is on my to do list and I don't fancy the scramble !!
Del246
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   Corbetts:15
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland