walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Testing the New Hillberg at Culra with the Aonach Beag Ridge

Testing the New Hillberg at Culra with the Aonach Beag Ridge

Postby andrewdoggett » Sun May 15, 2011 8:47 pm

Route description: Aonach Beag: Four Munros from Culra

Munros included on this walk: Aonach Beag (Alder), Beinn Èibhinn, Càrn Dearg (Loch Pattack), Geal-chàrn (Alder)

Date walked: 22/04/2011

Time taken: 11.5 hours

Distance: 50.3 km

Ascent: 1998m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Whilst I'm in India I guess I can catch up on some of those reports that have gone astray; keep my years taly up to date in my walks diary and all... I think it's 40 munros for the year now...

So thanks to a long break for the Royal Wedding I got a chance to take my good lady; Victoria into the wilderness; and after my last post had me in trouble for putting the hills ahead of her I'd best redress the balance...

So a bit of grovelling; the gorgeous Victoria...

DSC_0010_CROP.jpg
My Good Lady; Victoria

The long 15 km walk into Culra was pleasant enough; a beautiful sunny evening and we made fairly short work of it along the track in around 2 1/2 hours.

I'd been after a new tent for a while; the requirements were:

- Lightweight
- 4 Season
- as spacious as possible
- Separate inner and outer

Those requirements pretty quickly led me to concluding on a Hilleberg; and not long after that I'd settled on the Nallo 3; at just 2 kg it's extremely light; met all of my requirements and was just a 100g more in weight than the Nallo 2; so I figured I may as well have the extra space; I mean what's 100g right?

Pitching the tent was simple and it was up in less than 5 minutes; even the normally fiddly guy ropes were simple to make taut. Everything about the tent oozed quality and good design - I wasn't disappointed...

And to cap it off; a perfect pitch; flat grass beside the river (come wine cooler); peat soil so the pegs went in like a knife through butter... And what a backdrop with Ben Alder.

DSC_0014.JPG
The New Hilleberg Nallo 3

I think the missus had probably earnt a drink; she was already changed into her pyjamas; one of the many things I couldn't believe she'd carried in... ;)

DSC_0025.JPG
Victoria enjoying a glass of red after the 15 km walk in to Culra

Another view of the pitch...

IMAG1051.jpg
The Chosen Campsite...

Then it was time for dinner; again the lightweight option with Jetboil Stove; and a dried spag bol provided the weight saving dinner... Less weight saving was the bottle of red; but that wasn't as heavy as the box of white wine cooling in the river... :) Oh yes, this was setting up to be a good weekend...

DSC_0030.JPG
A hearty dinner of Spag Bol and Red Wine

And I think I passed the cooking test... ;)

DSC_0042.JPG
Did I pass the cooking test...??

And as the sun set; with a herd of deer on the horizon; we drank; laughed; and just enjoyed being with each other; and not only that I won the cards... Woo hop :)

I love sleeping by running water; it's guaranteed to make me feel peaceful, but all too soon and morning came...

DSC_0065.JPG
Victoria waking up after a good nights sleep...

Of course the sunshine that went before had been replaced by morning with a touch of rain; but nothing too heavy... And I'd decided to do the Aonach Beag Ridge... Off we set...

Victoria was suffering from a blister (I'm so lucky not to get those; I'm dreading buying new boots) and she wasn't feeling great. Not sure she was that impressed with me as we arrived on top Carn Dearg...

DSC_0069.JPG
Vicky arriving at the summit of Geal Charn

As we walked along the ridge Victoria decided she would descend and head back not feeling up to the rest of the walk; like the good lady she is, she refused my offer to descend with her. On you go she said I'll be fine; you finish what you came here for...

So I did...

The ridge was enjoyable; all of it easy; with just the one steeper section on the ascent to Geal-Charn but nothing to cause to any worry and I'm sure had the weather been better the scenery would have been stunning. But I like weather like this where it's misty; a touch of drizzle; they used to be Whiskey's favourite conditions; kept her cool I guess; and she was a labrador so she loved water. I saw next to no one for the whole walk and just enjoyed some me time in the mountains...

DSC_0087.JPG
The ridge walk

More of the ridge...

DSC_0089.JPG

The Stats from the trusty Satmap... Paused for the overnight stop at Culra; so this walk over two days...

IMAG1078.jpg
The Stats...

And the Route...

2011 - 04 - 22 - Aonach Beag.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by andrewdoggett on Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   

Re: Testing the New Hillberg at Culra with the Aonach Beag Ridge

Postby ChrisW » Sun May 15, 2011 9:10 pm

Great stuff as always Andrew, cracking photo's - you old romantic you, carrying in a bottle of red and a box of white.......no wonder your good lady didn't feel so good the next morning :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby victoriajarrett » Sun May 15, 2011 9:58 pm

ChrisW wrote:Great stuff as always Andrew, cracking photo's - you old romantic you, carrying in a bottle of red and a box of white.......no wonder your good lady didn't feel so good the next morning :lol:

hmmm... who carried in the wine??? I think you'll find the good lady did ;)
victoriajarrett
Mountaineer

Munros:41   
Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:1   

Postby victoriajarrett » Sun May 15, 2011 10:00 pm

your idea of grovelling is calling me gorgeous and putting a large picture of me up on your report... really??? I think a better effort is required...
victoriajarrett
Mountaineer

Munros:41   
Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:1   

Postby kinley » Mon May 16, 2011 6:02 am

Amusing report 8)

But.....a Red Hilley? :shock:

Shocking behaviour

:lol: ;)
kinley

Postby Klaasloopt » Mon May 16, 2011 8:06 pm

Spring has arrived, and hormones in dangerous quantities. What's with these good looking blondes turning up in WH reports these days? Although I must admit: a red tent is the right signal, and the risk of stumbling and flying off into the corrie due to continuous staring in the same direction is much less on this hill than on the CMD-arrete. :mrgreen:
Klaasloopt
Hill Bagger

Munros:168   Corbetts:71
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:49
Islands:11

Postby iainwatson » Sun May 29, 2011 6:43 pm

nice report,quite fancy this nxt weekend if the weather is ok.......................do you reckon this walk could be done in one day without an overnight stop? (i would cycle to culra and back)
iainwatson
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   

Postby monty » Mon May 30, 2011 11:11 am

Excellent report Andrew.
Not sure you have posted on the correct forum. Shouldnt this report be in Tatler :lol: :lol:

Excellent photos.

Hey Tell Kinley there is nothing wrong with a red tent. :D

P.s. Hi Ian, Looks like the cycle into Culra is only 10 miles and is pretty flat. So the walk in one day looks ok to me. :D
monty

Postby andrewdoggett » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:54 pm

kinley wrote:Amusing report 8)

But.....a Red Hilley? :shock:

Shocking behaviour

:lol: ;)

My research concluded that green Hilley's were only ever used by fishermen ;)
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Postby kinley » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:13 pm

andrewdoggett wrote:My research concluded that green Hilley's were only ever used by fishermen ;)

Aye well - if you rely on wikipedia and that bloke down the pub as your definitive sources you can get some odd ideas :lol: ;)

kinley

Postby andrewdoggett » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:33 pm

Now that is a stunning pic!! Loch Coruisk per chance?

Maybe green is okay - mind you - must have had a long rod from up there... :lol: :lol:
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Postby kinley » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:02 pm

andrewdoggett wrote:Now that is a stunning pic!! Loch Coruisk per chance?

Maybe green is okay - mind you - must have had a long rod from up there... :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: Funny - I was going to say just that! :lol:

Aye Coruisk from Sgurr na Stri.
kinley

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland