walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Skye you having a laugh and its MAY ???????? Part 2

Skye you having a laugh and its MAY ???????? Part 2

Postby stomper » Sat May 28, 2011 8:43 pm

Route description: Southern Cuillin and Coire Ghrunnda

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr Dubh Mòr, Sgùrr nan Eag

Date walked: 28/05/2011

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The views from the top were not too bad but could be better on a clear day
081.JPG
Gars-bheinn I think???

Our next objective was Sgurr Dubh Mor. Once we returned to our rucksacks we followed just below the ridge till we came face to face with the next munro SDM i comented to our guide Bloody hell thats only a mound. Well believe me the mound had the last laugh as i struggled to reach the summit as a bit of scrambling was needed to reach the top. Sorry no photo's as this part of the walk was well i'll just say i can put a photo of a whit piece of paper on but need to save time. :lol: :lol:

Our 3rd Munro of the day was (Sgurr Alasdair) was a little bit more of a challenge tha the last 2. we walked again just below the ridge and passing the TDG on the right. After 100/200yrds we came to a hault. The next thing i knew we were scrambling up this very steep wall which i thought we would be roped up. But no no no we had to just follow our guide my heart going BOOM BOOM BOOM with every step i was making up this steepish headwall. Eventually we reached our 3rd munro SG. Don't worry here are some photo's from the top
090.JPG
you can just figure out the baggers walking on the ledge route to do Sgurr Connich Mor
091.JPG
a little bit closer
093.JPG
Looking back towards the route we came up from

Because we had bags of time our guide thought we could include SCMor to our final day's bagging
094.JPG
Heading down at the start of the stone shoot ( with the dreaded inn pinn just above centre of the photo)
After bagging SCM we retraced our steps to the stone shoot and headed down a long way down to our waiting cars in a time of 11.30 mins
Sorry white paper came into play no photo's
stomper
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Donalds:1
Hewitts:70
Wainwrights:140   

Re: Skye you having a laugh and its MAY ???????? Part 2

Postby foggieclimber » Mon May 30, 2011 11:24 am

Bit confused with references to Sgurr Choinnich Mor - do you mean Sgurr Mhic Choinnich?

Hard scrambling to go from Sgurr Alastair out to Sgurr Mhic Choinnich, via Sgurr Thearlaich.
Seems a bit mad to reverse that back to top of Great Stone Shoot when you could just have descended the An Stac screes much more easily?
foggieclimber

Postby stomper » Mon May 30, 2011 2:16 pm

foggieclimber wrote:Bit confused with references to Sgurr Choinnich Mor - do you mean Sgurr Mhic Choinnich?

Hard scrambling to go from Sgurr Alastair out to Sgurr Mhic Choinnich, via Sgurr Thearlaich.
Seems a bit mad to reverse that back to top of Great Stone Shoot when you could just have descended the An Stac screes much more easily?

Sorry yes i do mean SMC got a bit wrong there :( As for the route back we only headed back as far as the bottom end of stone shoot and turned right down the screes
stomper
Munro compleatist

Postby stomper » Mon May 30, 2011 2:20 pm

foggieclimber wrote:Bit confused with references to Sgurr Choinnich Mor - do you mean Sgurr Mhic Choinnich?

Its the way our guide took us but didn't find it all that difficult and time was also on our side
stomper
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland