walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Lomond - Our first Munro

Ben Lomond - Our first Munro

Postby MrsBeaver » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:35 pm

Route description: Ben Lomond

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 06/08/2009

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My first Munro and my first report, so please bear with me :)

Was dragged outta bed by my cat at 5am, so went downstairs to prepare the last bits and pieces to take along. Left home about 6.20am and made our way to Loch Lomond....for some strange and unknown reason Mr. B took a wrong turn somewhere and instead of turning around he went on, and it took us slightly longer to get there lol...Men :roll:

Anyway, it was overcast when we got there and slightly drizzling (that much for the forecast) but oh well...just after 8am we started our long climb up. The first bit was ok going up steadily and I thought to myself that if this keeps going like that, it'll be a piece of cake....oh how wrong I was lol :? . We passed over the wide path and kept on climbing, finally reaching the first gate.

Shortly after we met a nice chap on his way down. He told us it only took him 1 1/2 hours to get up to the top....I was very impressed I have to say, no way I was going to make it anywhere near that lol. But upwards and onwards we went. By that time I had taken my rainjacket out as it was raining more heavly, but quickly took it off again as it was just too hot.

As expected I had to stop and catch my breath quiet often and the higher we went the more often I had to stop. Poor Mr. B, he could have just walked up without stopping and I kept holding him back. But bless him for stopping all the time. Didn't take many pics on the way up as it was very cloudy and you could only see a few yards ahead at times. People started to catch up with us and of course overtaking us. At some point we were overtaken by a dad with his wee kid.....couldn't believe it, was rather annoyed with myself lol. However they didn't make it to the top, weren't exactly dress for the occasion :think:. We also came across a couple of guys running down the mountain? What's up with that? It's challenging enough walking down lol.

Eventually, after being overtaken by lots of different nationalities and me asking myself 'why am I doing this?' we made it to the top. Oh and how stunning it was. The bit just before the last climb, where it falls down on both sides is absolutely stunning. We made our last scramble to the busy summit, sat down for a bit, took some pics and then decided to have lunch at the nice bit below. We reached the summit at noon!

Had a spot of lunch, eventho I was surprisingly not hungry at all, but nontheless had half a sandwich and a cereal bar. We filled up my camelback which I emptied on the way up (2liters) and just then the cloud started to lift and we had a lovely view over the Loch and all the islands....absolutely stunning, pictures do not do justice to it unfortunately. I could have stayed up there forever, but it was absolutely freezing. So did a little Munro-Strip and put on a fleece instead which was nice and dry (and Mr B's jacket).

1pm we started our decent. Was a bit of a scramble and I was really glad we had our sticks with us, they did give a bit of stability....well sorta, Mr. B took a wee tumble lol...was quiet funny, as I'm usually getting an earful for being the clumsy one :lol: . After the first initial hard going bit we made it to the wider not so steep path and picked up speed a bit. My knees and feet, well actually everything below my hips started to get a bit sore. But what choice did I have but to push on. By then the clouds were gone and it became a nice sunny day. Getting to the gate I had to sit down a few minutes to adjust my toes :lol:. The last third of the journey down was really hard I have to say, I was exhausted and starting to get cranky :shifty:.

All in all we had a good laugh on the way down tho, met loads and loads of people and dogs. I still can't believe how busy this mountain is.....astonishing really. And a shame that so many people just don't pick up their rubbish :x .

Well, made it to the carpark just after 3.30pm. How glad I was to sit down and get out of my boots. Talked Mr B into driving home as well so I could just sit barefoot in the car and moan about my feet for a while lol. Of course we hit the M8 in rushhour, but eventually made it home and after crawling up the stairs I could soak in the bath.

Pheew, this turned out more to a diary entry than a walk report, but I hope you enjoyed it a bit. I don't want to put anyone off going up Ben Lomond. I must add that I'm on the heavier side and therefore not as fit as I want to be (eventho the skinny person inside of me is slowly winning the fight). It is definetely worth climbing up to the summit, it's beautiful and peaceful. I absolutely loved it and once my knees stop hurting I will be back to my cheerful self hehehe :crazy:
Last edited by MrsBeaver on Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrsBeaver

Munros:1   

Re: Ben Lomond - Our first Munro

Postby canisp » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:04 pm

Well done on summiting your first Munro, the first of many i’m sure. Enjoyed your report and photo’s :D :D especially the shot of Loch Lomond, any thoughts of which hill’s next :?:
canisp

Munros:281   Corbetts:191
Fionas:28   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:195
Wainwrights:213   

Postby MrsBeaver » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:31 am

Thanks....no thoughts yet on next Munro. I think I need a bit of a Munro Break for now lol....my legs will otherwise just decide to sabotage me :lol:. Might do a few other hillwalks tho....plenty of choice out there.
MrsBeaver

Postby kevsbald » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:26 pm

Well done.
I am sure the more hills you do, the more you'll be 'toned to the bone', as it were.
And if not, I think it's more important to be fit and slightly overweight than thin and unfit.

I'll shut up in case I'm deemed to be patronising but well done anyway.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby munrowalker » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:09 pm

MrsBeaver wrote: I think I need a bit of a Munro Break for now lol....my legs will otherwise just decide to sabotage me :lol:.

Trust me, you're first one is the hardest one (fitness wise) , my first one was Ben Lomond and I too was absolutely knackered, but after a few it gets a lot easier.
munrowalker

Munros:163   Corbetts:7
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby mountain tortoise » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:26 pm

Well done
Glad you made it. You did well to get down quicker than you went up. I usually take about the same time both ways. Worth remembering that Len Lomond starts near sea level so you climb the whole 3000 feet. Others are easier cos they can start from as much as 1000 feet up. I take it you live in Scotland since it did not take long to get there. Lucky you I live in North Wales so can not get up there as much as I would like.
Anyway start of a whole new adventure then :D :D :D
mountain tortoise
Scrambler

Munros:10   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:56

Postby Paul Webster » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:57 am

Congrats on that first summit - and yes, they do get easier! (as long as you do Schiehallion next :D )
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby MrsBeaver » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:54 am

Thanks kev, no, you're not patronising, you're quiet right. I'm surprisingly fit for my size, and I prefer it that way :).

MT, I think I need o change my name to MT II lol. Yeh, live up in Scotland, West Lothian. So happy to live here, with that much choice of different walks and climbs.

It is now day 2 after the climb and my bum muscles are back to normal. However my calves are still rather sore. Just went for a 3 mile walk tho....on fairly even ground that is :lol:

Well, off to check out that Schiehallion thingy now 8)
MrsBeaver

Postby mountain tortoise » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:17 pm

Tortoises Rule!!!
Remember when you go slower you see and notice more(thats my excuse. I regularly go out with friends and when we go to the pub at the end I say. 'Did you see this or that' and they usually say no.
mountain tortoise
Scrambler

Munros:10   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:56

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland