walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Mhanach

Beinn Mhanach

Postby bio-man » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:10 pm

Route description: Beinn Mhanach

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Mhanach

Date walked: 12/07/2008

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This one of my favourite hills in one of my favourite areas of Scotland. I've been on the summit 5 times, from different directions, but the last, in March 2008, was the most enjoyable and most emotional. It was my first Munro since my fall.

I'd asked the farmer about 3 years ago if I could park near the WHW, rather than by the side of the A82, and he said that it was not problem as long as people asked and parked where he told them too. it's an excellent walk-in. The steep sides of Beinn Dorain and Beinn a' Chaisteil dominate the start, but you get a clear view of Beinn Mhanach ahead. It's possible to stay on the east side of the river, but you need good waterproof boots. I always carry a small towel in case I need to ford a river and it proved useful here in the summer.

Just past the viaduct, I was caught up by a guy who joined me for the whole day. Turned out he used to be the navigator on board Rescue 177, the helicopter from HMS Gannet, that picked me up!! Small world.

I took in the top, Beinn a' Chuirn, from the same starting point as described. Worth doing, it's not much different from the Munro, just smaller!! Although it's claim to fame is the view down Auch Gleann to Beinn Laoigh.

The weather couldn't have been better. Windy, wind-chill -15, bright sunshine and frozen snow!! Crampons came out and were much needed. Muttley didn't seem to notice though, bounding about like a pup!! She's done over 100 Munros, countless other hills and walks and this was her first Munro since the fall as well. She definitely sensed the occasion!!

Straightforward ascent, descent to the col, then ascent to the Munro. Difficult in the conditions though.

I knew before that I would be able to see Beinn Achaladair from the summits. That was where I fell, but I wasn't fazed, just happy to be there.

Excellent views from both summits. Ben Alder, towards Glencoe, Ben More and Beinn Laoigh and Ben Oss.

A tired man and his dog on the long walk-out and an enjoyable post-walk pint at the Bridge of orchy Hotel.

An long enjoyable day on an overlooked Munro!!
Attachments
Beinn Achaladair and towards Glencoe2.jpg
The Auch Gleann2.jpg
Glen Lyon towards the Lawers Group2.jpg
Beinn Laoigh2.jpg
Beinn Laoigh from Beinn a'Chruin
bio-man
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   

Re: Beinn Mhanach

Postby canisp » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:42 am

Cracking photo’s, especially the last one with the clouds scudding over.
canisp

Munros:281   Corbetts:191
Fionas:28   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:195
Wainwrights:213   

Postby Paul Webster » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:02 pm

I was suprised to find that I really enjoyed this hill too. It might just be a big lump (or pair of lumps) but the approach up the glen is lovely and the hill feels really secluded compared to many in the Southern Highlands. Fantastic photos - amazing to see the contrast between the winter browns and the summer greens on the route description ones.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby bio-man » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:55 pm

Cheers guys.....one of my favourite areas and could walk there all the time!!
bio-man
Munro compleatist

Postby goth_angel » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:42 pm

Cracking photos. We quite fancy doing this one before too long. Though not in the snow! :shock:
goth_angel

Munros:101   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:84
Wainwrights:179   

Postby bio-man » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:47 am

It's a good one to do, especially for the walk in. An excellent alternative.....there are 5 Corbetts to the near south east of BM, their names escape me just now (check later). Although for a day for when you're feeling fit, you'll feel a great sense of achievement. The ascents are from just outside Tyndrum or from the first viaduct after the railway leaves Tyndrum. A classic
bio-man
Munro compleatist

Postby edmunro » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:16 pm

Really enjoyed this one. We were staying at the Auch holiday cottages so the choice to climb Beinn Mhanach was an easy one. We walked the route described, up the south face as it had less snow on it and so made the climbing easier. The views are spectacular down the Auch Glen. Descending to the north the skies were clear and Beinn Achaladair looked very tempting, if only winter daylight was longer.
edmunro

Munros:24   
Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:15   

Postby cjwaugh » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:52 pm

Good to see you back in the hills Bioman I ve recently returned to hill walking following a road traffic accident and I'm really loving it again great photos by the way nice to see someone who doesn't let bad luck put them off :D
cjwaugh

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:9   Donalds:27+0

Postby IainG » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:01 pm

The report made this walk look excellent. Brilliant photos, especially the last one.

I'm afraid I don't share your enthusiasm for this hill though :? Unfortuneately we done it in miserable weather with gales at the top. Just shows what decent weather can do :D
IainG
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:11
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:4   

Postby mountain coward » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:25 am

The weather certainly does make all the difference to most of them I think - although I seem to be up a lot of them in mist and drizzle etc.

Thanks for those pics Bio-man - I'm thinking of doing that in a couple of weeks too and was wondering which side to approach it. Although of course, it's easier in Feb to get along the A82 than up Glen Lyon! Has anyone done it from the Glen Lyon side? I can't decide which I think would be nicest - I like Glen Lyon but fancy seeing the Auch Glen as it's quite historic isn't it? Duncan Ban MacIntyre an' all that? Point taken about the waterproof boots. I gather the route crosses the river several times - are there bridges or is that a problem if it's in spate/

Great photos anyway - been wondering what it looks like down there. Also, thanks for the point about the farmer - I was wondering whether to approach him - seeing as I rescued one of his very large lambs the other year anyway including carrying it quarter of a mile down the road to put it in my car to return it to him (although I doubt he'll remember).

What happened to you that needed helicopter rescue Bio-man? Think I've missed something somewhere...
mountain coward

Postby edmunro » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:52 am

The river in Glen Auch shouldn't be a problem. Water level can vary but I had no trouble with standard boots and no gaiters crossing it several times at different points. The worst case is that you stay on the east side between fords #1 and #2, which is about a mile, between fords #3 and #4 I'd recommend staying on the south anyway, as the terrain is good and the distance between them is maybe 1/4 mile. After that I don't remember any significant crossings.
edmunro

Munros:24   
Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:15   

Postby mountain coward » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:35 am

Great - thanks edmunro - I'll take that advice for when I do it...
mountain coward

Postby maddjock » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:00 am

mountain coward wrote:
What happened to you that needed helicopter rescue Bio-man? Think I've missed something somewhere...

dont think Bioman gets on here as much as he used to, think possibly to his job relocation? there's a lot of information on his blog http://mtunney.wordpress.com/ and also the forum threads here viewforum.php?f=15
the bowled a bouncer section on his site will give a graphic/painful description of what he endured..
also dont forget the donate link.. :D
:D
maddjock
Hill Bagger

Postby mountain coward » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:48 am

Ouch! You wouldn't believe it would be so easy to get so badly hurt! He's doing very well to get back to Munroing after a set of injuries like that - very brave man!
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland