walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Another fail, for Creise sake!!

Another fail, for Creise sake!!

Postby smudger831 » Sun May 29, 2011 1:53 pm

Route description: Creise and Meall a'Bhùiridh from the Ski centre

Munros included on this walk: Creise, Meall a' Bhùiridh

Date walked: 28/05/2011

Time taken: 3 hours

Ascent: 470m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After doing Meall a'Bhuiridh a few weeks ago and chickening out on Creise I decided to give Creise another go this weekend as my walking buddy and Bob (the dog) was up for the weekend. We had a shock on arrival at the ski centre as there was a mountain biking downhill event on and the car park was mobbed.
After getting kitted up we started off up under the chairlift. Only to stop after 10 minutes and get full waterproofs on as it started chucking it down. Worryingly enough the wind was picking up as well. By the time we got to the top of the chairlift it was gusting really badly and we had been caught in a few hail showers which was not pleasant.

DSCN1134.JPG
Quick break inbetween rain/hail showers

We decided to try and head for the summit of Meal a'Bhuiridh and see how the weather conditions were before heading over to Creise. Walking over to the base of the next hill was a bit of a struggle as the wind was right in or faces and quite difficult to walk in. After another half an hour of walking up hill it started pouring, then hailstones and finally it started snowing. We took shelter behind some rocks to see if it was just a passing shower but after 10 minutes with no let up we decided to call it a day and head back to the car.

IMAG0295.jpg
Please let me go home...

We got back to the top of the chairlift and turned round to have a look at the summit; clear as a bell with not a cloud in site, although the sky behind it did look very dark. I think we did make the right decision turning down but thats twice I've been up there and failed to get Creise - hopefully third time will be lucky.

DSCN1140.JPG
Time to head back
smudger831
Ambler

Munros:21   Corbetts:1

Re: Another fail, for Creise sake!!

Postby metafor » Sun May 29, 2011 11:23 pm

Yes Smudger831! It is certainly brain-bashing , mind-numbing , soul-destroying , stuff when you have to make the decision to turn back , but believe it or not ! it is always the right one , because there will always be a better day to come, and just rermember as well - that it takes more guts and savvy to make that decision - been there a wheen o times!!!!!!!! I have included some photies for you to peruse and hopefully encourage you and your buddies![img][img][/img]
Attachments
06-03-2010 029.jpg
Looking up at Creise from the bealach
06-03-2010 043.jpg
The summit of Creise
metafor
Mountain Walker

Munros:174   

Postby neilh23 » Mon May 30, 2011 9:13 am

Have to say I agree with metafor on this one. Did both of these with friends last July and got exactly the same weather, yes even snow. I have never been so cold up a mountain. A couple of weeks ago we did Ben Narnain and then set off to do Ben Ime. We got half way up Ime and had to turn back. So close and yet so far but the right decision, one for another day.
neilh23
Mountaineer

Munros:96   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:10   

Postby neilmci » Mon May 30, 2011 9:40 am

I was lucky enough to climb these last year on a lovely day where you could see for miles in all directions. It was such a nice day, i even took in the other top that is up there (I think it used to be on the list?) just in case!

As a result, this is still one of my favourite routes.

I would save these ones for similar conditions as there is not much in the way of shelter up there especially if it is windy.

The route over the bealach is usually windy enough due to the funnelling effects of the surrounding hills on a calm day, so I would not like to try and cross it when it is blowing full pelt with hail stones!
neilmci
Mountain Walker

Postby monty » Mon May 30, 2011 11:13 am

Good call Smudger. You have to know when to call it a day. Good excuse to go back in the summer. :D
monty

Postby smudger831 » Mon May 30, 2011 8:05 pm

Thanks for the comments. It will be third time lucky but I think I know every blooming rock under that chairlift by now so I may use it next time and cut out the initial boring climb and then descent.
smudger831
Ambler

Munros:21   Corbetts:1

Postby Wilco de Jonge » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:22 pm

The picture of Bob "please let me go home" is great! :clap: The pic of the year.And you did listen :lol: :lol: By the way, did you give this M another try?
Wilco de Jonge
Munro compleatist

Munros:114   Corbetts:3
Donalds:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland