walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

My first and second Munro's - Mayar and Driesh

My first and second Munro's - Mayar and Driesh

Postby boabie » Mon May 30, 2011 11:14 pm

Route description: Mayar and Driesh, Glen Clova

Munros included on this walk: Driesh, Mayar

Date walked: 30/05/2011

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 14.5 km

Ascent: 835m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

hey guys, i've finally broke my duck and bagged me some munros :D

before i start, i do have to say that i was unready for a walk of this nature! unfortunately i didnt find this out till half way up Corrie Fee!! ... but, i made it to both peaks, and im one happy walker tonight!!

started off at half past 10 this morning, the forecast was for light rain, but the sun was shining when i started.

took this one on the way into the forest.

made it out of the forest and stood in awe at the task ahead of me! i took a nice panorama picture but it's way to big to be uploading!

made it to the waterfall at Corrie Fee (after several breaks)

then i realised i wasnt prepared for this climb, but i managed to dig in and pull myself up the mountain... more stops than starts, but when i got to the top, i did my own little 'Rocky on the Philadelphia steps'

after soaking in the view, i looked over at Driesh... i could do this!! so off i set, i saw the rocky climb up to the summit, and i saw the path down, i managed to convince myself to go for it and set off for the top. again it was more stop than start, but standing on loose stones on the side of a huge drop gave me the nudge i needed to get up. i finally made it up after 4 and a half hours, and i had a great sense of achievement when i was sitting in the shelter having a well deserved coffee!

by this time, i had my breath back and was feeling good, so i set off for the car. this was the worst part of the day! that track down the mountain was a nightmare! my knees hurt like hell after the descent! but when i got back to the car and looked back, you couldnt wipe the smile off my face with a hammer!!

special mention to the two guys from Aberdeen grabbing their first munro's too! had a good chat with one on the way up, but had to let him go on ahead (i was slowing him down lol) and the guy i exchanged handshakes with at the top of Driech as we congratulated each other :D

all in all a great day, i will pay for it in the morning :lol:
boabie
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:3   

Re: My first and second Munro's - Mayar and Driesh

Postby Gable Gable End » Tue May 31, 2011 8:18 am

Good two to start with; looks like you got a decent day too!!
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby boabie » Tue May 31, 2011 11:22 am

thanks, yeah the weather was kind, had a bit of hail near the top of mayar, but it passed as quickly as it started!
boabie
Mountaineer

Postby BalDEE » Tue May 31, 2011 1:16 pm

good ane Bob like the pictures keep it going
BalDEE
Mountain Walker

Munros:29   

Postby boabie » Tue May 31, 2011 2:31 pm

cheers paul, look out for more 8)

do they have munro's in america??? :lol:
boabie
Mountaineer

Postby pollyh33 » Tue May 31, 2011 9:54 pm

Hi Boabie,

Smashing report. Can't see the pics yet because I'm at work but I'll have a wee look tomorrow.

So glad you posted this. I'm thinking of climbing these two very soon, bought my OS map the other day, so hopefully I'll be able to have as much fun as you obviously did!! :lol:

Polly X
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby boabie » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:03 am

thanks polly, was a fantastic walk for a beginner, and the scenery was amazing! if you get the right weather you'll have a great day :D
boabie
Mountaineer

Postby ken reid » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:26 am

sum great pics there i'm heading up there tomorow so hope that i'm as lucky as you were with the weather will let you know.ps only 281 to go :D
ken reid
Mountain Walker

Munros:246   

Postby boabie » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:03 am

good luck ken, hope you get great weather, it does make for a better climb. and thanks for reminding me that im still miles away from bagging them all :lol:
boabie
Mountaineer

Postby ChrisW » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:24 pm

Great start to your 'bagging' boabie, I really enjoyed these two when I did em, particularly corrie fee - brilliant :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby boabie » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:22 pm

thanks chris, im already planning the next trip :D

looking at lochnagar... but in two minds, do i bag all 5 while im there? or is that a bit much for me just yet and i do your route to lochnagar then down to loch muick??? hmmmm... got a while to plan it as im off to the states next week for a couple of months :lol:
boabie
Mountaineer

Postby porty » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:28 pm

Boabie.

It was myself that took in the view at the entry to Corrie Fee with you and toiled up past the waterfall.

Great to see that you got both Munro's bagged. I was hoping to see you at the top of Mayar but the weather looked to be closing in and, being another novice, I didn't hang around and quickly headed off to Driesh.

Great pics - especially of the waterfall...
porty
Mountain Walker

Munros:21   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:6   

Postby boabie » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:01 pm

hey porty!

i was hoping to catch up with you, at least see you descend driesh as i was struggling up... guess i really was slow!! :lol:

good to hear you bagged these both as well, and hopefully i'll see you on another climb in the future :D

(p.s... the shot at the waterfall was the only good picture of the day :lol: ... guess the puffing and panting doesnt really help you compose an picture!)
boabie
Mountaineer

Postby Graeme D » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:14 pm

Good start to your bagging Boabie. Agree with ChrisW - Corrie Fee is something special but the high level walk from Mayar over to Driesh isn't too shabby either! :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby boabie » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:30 pm

thanks graeme, i'm hooked! i've got my next 20 walks planned!! will have to wait till i get back from my travels, but im deffo up for more of this! :D
boabie
Mountaineer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland