walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Notch Peak, Utah - 670 meter verticle drop!

Notch Peak, Utah - 670 meter verticle drop!

Postby ndhudson » Tue May 31, 2011 10:05 pm

Date walked: 27/05/2011

Time taken: 6

Distance: 15.3 km

Ascent: 1m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After a long spell of unseasonably cold and wet weather, our options for hiking (without snowshoes) around northern Utah were becoming very limited. So we decided to head out to the west desert and conquer a peak that I have heard about my entire life from my father. Even on a busy holiday weekend here in the states, in this part of the country, you rarely have to share a trail. :D

Notch Peak, standing at 2,943 meters above sea level, is part of the House Range of mountains in the high central west deserts of Utah. It is the second highest pure vertical drop in the United states after El Capitan, with an overall summit rise of 1,356 meters from the surrounding valley floor. Obviously, to stand at the summit and look over the edge is a rush, to say the least. In fact, I was overcome with a feeling of trespassing...like I wasn't meant to be there. :shock: It's definitely worth the hike for the heart-stopping cliff views, BUT...the magnificent canyon on the way up is just as amazing! Nevertheless, here's how it all went down...

The hike basically follows a drainage canyon, or wash, all the way up. It begins as a fairly large wide open area and slowly narrows to the top.
IMG_001.jpg

Beautiful tall walls of weathered carbonate rock surround the trail as the canyon begins to narrow and climb.
IMG_002.jpg

IMG_005.jpg

Gnarly old Cedar trees grow in every direction.
IMG_007.jpg

As the trail begins to turn into a bouldering route, you run into this HUGE Poderosa Pine tree that broke and fell many years ago. (my dad hiked here over 40 years ago and the tree had already broken) Still a bit of snow around as well.
IMG_009.jpg

Is this the trail??? Yes, yes it is...
IMG_011.jpg

Keep on going...
IMG_012.jpg

and going...
IMG_014.jpg

Stop for a breather...
IMG_015.jpg
IMG_016.jpg

Almost to the false peak...
IMG_017.jpg

With the lasts 1000 feet or so in in sight (and amazing views of their own right), we decide to walk the ridge line and take a few photo opportunities.
IMG_018.jpg
IMG_019.jpg

Lunch first, and then on to the summit...that's the peak there.
IMG_020.jpg
IMG_021.jpg

Are we there yet?
IMG_022.jpg

Wooowhoo!!! SPOT message to the family!
IMG_023.jpg

That's looking almost one mile to the ground folks!!! Pictures really don't do it justice. (note: those are not MY feet dangling precariously off the edge. Nope, no sir...I leave the scary photo taking to my man!)
IMG_024.jpg
IMG_025.jpg

A wonderful day, most definitely! After hiking back down to the truck, we drove about 40 miles the south to camp for the next 3 days at another amazing area (Crystal Peak). Unfortunately, the strange weather followed us to the desert. We woke up the next morning to find 3 inches of snow on the ground and a solid 24 hours of constant precipitation. But the sun came out just in time for us to leave the following morning AND, best of all, get some pretty great pics of the west side of Notch Peak on our way home...

The southern view of Notch Peak covered in snow about 30 miles away.
IMG_026.jpg

And finally, the west side of Notch Peak.(Notch is on the left side) Weird to think of yourself standing on the top!
IMG_027.jpg
Attachments
IMG_026.jpg
ndhudson
Munro compleatist

Corbetts:1

Re: Notch Peak, Utah - 670 meter verticle drop!

Postby susanmyatt » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:40 am

Fantastic pics, think the straight up is out of the question :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Postby ken reid » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:36 am

quality pics looks like a great day thanks for sharing :D
ken reid
Mountain Walker

Munros:246   

Postby ChrisW » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:57 am

Absolutely beautiful, what a wonderful walk and stunning pics from the most beautiful state in the US, thanks again ND, I'm really gonna have to get back there when we make the move to Calgary (only a few more months) :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Alastair S » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:11 am

Wow, spectacular (& scary) stuff. Thanks for sharing 8)
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby malky_c » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:15 pm

Hmm, that looks pretty impressive! I really need to look in on the 'Outside Scotland' forum more often 8)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby pollyh33 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:10 pm

AWESOME!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby ndhudson » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:07 am

Thanks everyone! I geek on this site too much...my highland hill walking desires are out of control, with little hope of a visit anytime soon. :cry: So for now, my western US adventures will have to do.
ndhudson
Munro compleatist

Postby Johnny Corbett » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:20 pm

ndhudson wrote:Thanks everyone! I geek on this site too much...my highland hill walking desires are out of control, with little hope of a visit anytime soon. :cry: So for now, my western US adventures will have to do.

Awesome looking place, if this is the standard of your Western US adventures keep the walk reports coming :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby ndhudson » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:38 pm

Thanks Johnny! More to come soon... 8)
ndhudson
Munro compleatist

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland