walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Narnain and Beinn Ime

Beinn Narnain and Beinn Ime

Postby Caledonia84 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:15 pm

Route description: Beinn Narnain and Beinn Ìme

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ìme, Beinn Narnain

Date walked: 31/05/2011

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 1300m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is the first time I've tried more than one climb in the same day since the torture of I felt doing the three peaks challenge 5 years ago, I was looking forward to it having climbed Beinn an lochain Ben Donich and Ben Arthur over the previous months and seing the views from those climbs.

There were still a few low clouds hanging around and the cobbler was completely obscured at this point, was hoping this would clear
DSCF4309.JPG

The path was very overgrown, had me worried id choosen the wrong path
DSCF4311.JPG

Once I spotted the remnants of the old railway I knew I was on the right track!
DSCF4320.JPG

The climb is steep here and not much fun the views start to open up though
DSCF4326.JPG

DSCF4336.JPG

2011-05-31 11.40.44.jpg

This was the first easy scramble
DSCF4341.JPG

First view of the Cobbler
DSCF4346.JPG

The walk at this point is still steep but far more interesting with brilliant views all round

DSCF4351.JPG

DSCF4357.JPG

DSCF4365.JPG

Another scramble up a rocky gully
DSCF4367.JPG

The higher you get the better the views get
DSCF4369.JPG

The final push
DSCF4379.JPG

DSCF4382.JPG

Last Scramble
DSCF4386.JPG

Summit Beinn Narnain with Beinn Ime in the background
DSCF4388.JPG

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOFtld4yhzY[/youtube]

Now on to Beinn Ime, my legs felt ok but as I descended down to the beallach and started the ascent my legs really started to burn, not reaching the summit wasn't an option after coming this far so I just pushed through it. I didn't take many pictures here as I was using all my concentration to defy my legs. The path was verry boggy and slippy in places and was hard work, it got easier nearer the top with better views and more solid ground.

DSCF4398.JPG

DSCF4393.JPG

DSCF4400.JPG

DSCF4401.JPG

DSCF4405.JPG

DSCF4408.JPG

DSCF4417.JPG

video I took of the summit of Beinn Ime
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmYvyt60flY[/youtube]
Caledonia84
Munro compleatist

Munros:12   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Re: Beinn Narnain and Beinn Ime

Postby Malckyb » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:31 pm

Great report and pics...we did Beinn Narnian a couple of weeks ago in a gale with sleet,hail,rain the lot!!..its a fine hill...carried on and got within a half hour of Ime summit and had to give up though as the weather just got really silly....they are wet and boggy hills though..not pleasant underfoot at all....would like to go back on a sunny day though.
Malckyb
Munro compleatist

Munros:87   Corbetts:6
Fionas:6   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:19   

Postby Caledonia84 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:59 pm

I did think (especially on the Narnain ascent) that this would be a nightmare in adverse weather, credit to you for getting that far, I found it hard enough and I had a good day for it. Think high winds and hailstones would have meant breaking point for me! I almost brained myself coming down Beinn Ime, thought I'd be clever and try and jump a boggy patch only to end up slipping on the one leg I landed on :shock: , honestly it was like something out of a Mr Bean sketch both feet were above my head, ended up very wet and muddy :(
Caledonia84
Munro compleatist

Postby Malckyb » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:31 pm

Not surprised you slipped on Ime,we had a few near misses as it was just a quagmire at places,you did well to bag both as its a bit of a leg burner! :)

Narnian was a bit of a nightmare for us..certainly for me anyway...I have never been out in winds like that,we got stuck for a while on the plateau just before the final push to the summit due to not being able to stand in the wind,had to seek shelter behind the large stones..it was that strong that I got blown off my feet and dislocated my thumb :? ,managed to pop it back in though,was agony but didnt fancy the walk back down in that state!..then,after some t and a wee rest to get myself together we decided to go for the summit when the wind dropped a bit...we probably shouldnt have but we were sheltered at the scrambly parts near the top...the wind on the summit was bad though and we had to shelter for a while before going down then trying to ascend Beinn Ime.

Its days like that though that you learn a bit about yourself,tough at the time but satisfying afterwards....its a great hill and deffo wanna do Ime sometime...think would be good to do it along with the cobbler. :)
Malckyb
Munro compleatist

Munros:87   Corbetts:6
Fionas:6   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:19   

Postby Caledonia84 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:00 pm

Its days like that though that you learn a bit about yourself,tough at the time but satisfying afterwards....

I think theres been a point on most hills I've climbed so far where I've thought " I need a different hobby" but then you turn a corner and are smacked in the face by breathtaking views, or when you reach the summit and miraculously forget the pain in your legs and are allready planning your next climb. Its definately a bitter-sweet experience at times, always feels worth it though.

Hope the thumbs heals ok, dislocating it sounds nasty :shock:
Caledonia84
Munro compleatist

Postby jamesjones » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:28 pm

Hi,

Well done with Beinn Narnain and Beinn Ime, Hoping to do first Munro next week and hoping kids will tag along. Can anybody give any advice regarding the best Munros to do at this early stage. Have fair bit of experience of walking in Lake District and abroad but Scotland looks excellent. Kids are 9 and 12 any Munros which the kids would enjoy would be appreciated. It's pretty important that I get this right otherwise they might never do another one.
jamesjones
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:20
Fionas:9   Donalds:45
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:98
Wainwrights:91   

Postby Caledonia84 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:45 pm

Really sorry James, just saw your post, you thought about ben lomond? The ones around arrochar and crianlarich are steep and rocky by nature, some of the corbets are just as chalenging also, i'd recomend beinn an lochain and the cobbler if you get the chance
Caledonia84
Munro compleatist

Postby JTweedie » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:16 pm

Beinn an Lochain would be fine in good weather (although not a Munro), but I think if it was windy the relatively narrow ridges near the top might be a bit scary for young children, depends on the experience they've had in the Lake District of course.

Ben Vorlich at Loch Lomond would be an easy introduction to Munros, it's not the most exciting, but that makes it an easy one to recommend.

Another Munro, but one of the very best in my opinion, is Beinn Dorain at Bridge of Orchy. It's easy to get to by car, bus or train, and depending on fitness, combining it with its neighbour Beinn an Dothaidh would be a really good day out.
JTweedie

Munros:8   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland