walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

4 at Glenshee

4 at Glenshee

Postby ChrisW » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:46 pm

Munros included on this walk: Cairn of Claise, Càrn an Tuirc, Creag Leacach, Glas Maol

Date walked: 31/05/2011

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 19.8 km

Ascent: 1240m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After almost 2 weeks without a good walk it was great to pack the bag and head out toward Glen Shee again. I had studied the route on WH and decided that the 6 may be a little too much for me but 4 would be a good challenge but still enjoyable.

I arrived at the car park to the north of the ski village at 10.50 and took a steady 10 mins getting ready for the off, it was a beautiful day with just a few showers drifting by on occasion. From the car park Carn an Turic (left hand peak in the pic) looked a long way off.

dropping down from the car park a footbridge does away with any need to ford the burn and a good track heads off in the right direction

after a short time I stopped to grab another photo whilst the two walkers behind me passed by, the path was a little boggy in places but nothing to worry about on a day like today

looking back the car is soon a speck on the horizon though there is little ascent so far which leaves me wondering when it will start....

as I continue walking alongside the burn I am beginning to wonder if the mountain is moving away from me as I walk as it doesn't seem to be getting any closer

after a small ford the ascent finally begins and climbing up finally allows me to see a little of the surroundings

continuing on an almost direct vertical ascent the views quickly open out though the ascent is now quite steep and covered in some real ankle snappers

being so steep the ascent is quite short but still a good workout before the hills open out and bathe themselves in the warm sunshine

though there are a few showers passing by and some rain falling in the distance it is a beautiful view over the rolling hills of the cairngorms

I met a lovely lady up top who was ticking off one of the last remaining munros on the list (she had 26 to go ) and we had a pleasant chat before parting company as she set off toward Cairn of Claise. I lined up the usual 'evidence' shot and sat down enjoying a drink and the views for a minute or two.

after a short time I set off toward the same destination along what looked like a gentle rolling hill and at this point I was in my element, great weather few people around and I'm up top....what could be better

the walk to Cairn of Claise really is a gentle wander along a grassy knoll

in no time at all I am at the end of a small wall and can see the cairn on the horizon, with a hardly noticable ascent this must be the easiest munro I've ever seenImage

I am soon at the summit where I rejoin the lady I met earlier and we continue our chat a little longer Image

when the lady leaves I take my second 'evidence' shot of the day and have a chat with a guy who has just arrived who is doing all 6 :shock: Image

Glas Maol away on the horizon looks a little more challenging being quite a way off with one of those deep 'dips' to add a little to the ascent

very soon after setting off for Glas Maol the heavens opend and I needed to stop and don the waterproof gear pretty quick and even put the rucksack cover on due to the volume of water being dropped, then as quickly as it came the shower was gone and I was looking back at the 2 conquered munros from a good distance away - strange how the 'head down striding' during the rain moves you so far so fast.....I must spend a lot of time looking around when its not raining :lol: Image

on arrival at the summit I take the usual shot but seem to be having trouble with my spacial awareness

looking over to the west I see another shower sneaking in but where it's not raining the views are great and go on for miles

away to the north Carn an Turic is getting a soaking but it doesnt detract from a fantastic day Image

the shower heading my way drops a quick blast of hail for about 1 minute then passes by and I grab a last shot before heading off to number 4

It is not too far before the ridge that runs to Craig Leacach meets the descent from Glas Maol and the very end of the cairngorms is in sight on the far horizon

a small cairn marks the start of the ridge line as I look toward my final target for the day

walking along the spine the views to either side are great and the weather has improved to steady sunshine once again

the approach is undulating and the peaks and troughs through the ankle snappers is a weary affair at this stage in the day, on arrival at the summit I struggle to find a suitable spot for the camera and my last summit shot of the day

looking north the A93 snakes its way through the mountains up to and beyond the ski village

to the south the ridge top wall continues and the end of the hills is clearly in sight as the land beyond the cairngorms begins to level out

to the north east the blue skies and showers continue away into the distance and the cairngorms spread out as far as the eye can see

the vistas are seemingly endless on a day like today and it seems this route really does save the best till last

after a good 15 minutes on top I decide to head down, via the direct route :shock: though it is steep and I certainly wouldn't want to do it in the wet, its OK today and I'm off without much concern

I am soon low in the glen and the views are lost to me, I take a last pic before packing away the camera and making good time toward the A93

I chatted to a guy from Milton Keynes in the car park for a while before setting off on the miserable wander along the tarmac toward the car - after about 1 mile a guy in a mobile home on his way to Breamar picked me up and whisked me back to my car in no time....that was the perfect end to the day.

Really enjoyed this walk but that tarmac would have been a real killer if I hadn't got a lift.....got to love the outdoor folks who randomly stop and offer a lift. I always offer if I see walkers on the black top and it's great to be on the receiving end today :D
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: 4 at Glenshee

Postby mountain-ju-drop » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:38 pm

Wow your photos are amazing - do you edit them to get the colours so good?

We've done that walk in reverse adding in Tolmount and Tom Bhuide..... but then we had a car at each end so didn't even need to cadge a lift!

Great report. :D
mountain-ju-drop
Mountain Walker

Munros:263   Corbetts:57
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:25   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:4   Islands:18

Postby Gordo » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:54 pm

when the lady leaves I take my second 'evidence' shot of the day and have a chat with a guy who has just arrived who is doing all 6 :shock:

It was a hard days slog doing the 6, but couldnt have asked for better weather.
Glad you had a good day out and it was good to chat with you for a bit. I managed to get a lift back to the car off of 3 kind folk that saw me coming down off Carn an Tuirc that I had met earlier on between Cairn of Claise and Tom Buidhe.

Cracking report and great photo's.
Gordo
Hill Bagger

Munros:90   Corbetts:1

Postby ChrisW » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:09 pm

mountain-ju-drop wrote:Wow your photos are amazing - do you edit them to get the colours so good?

We've done that walk in reverse adding in Tolmount and Tom Bhuide..... but then we had a car at each end so didn't even need to cadge a lift!
Great report. :D

Thanks - the camera plays a big part in getting good colour - its a high end DSLR (Canon 5D) with Canon 'L' series lens so no excuse really - the rest is down to getting the right exposure and on a day like this that is no problem.

I shoot in RAW format and when I get home I add a standard 'S' curve whilst transferring them to JPEG ( I do this en-mass with batch processing) which does make the colours 'pop' without overdoing it :D

by Gordo on Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:54 pm

It was a hard days slog doing the 6, but couldnt have asked for better weather.
Glad you had a good day out and it was good to chat with you for a bit. I managed to get a lift back to the car off of 3 kind folk that saw me coming down off Carn an Tuirc that I had met earlier on between Cairn of Claise and Tom Buidhe.

Cracking report and great photo's.

Thanks Gordo - great to meet a fellow WH member - glad you got a lift and congrats on doing the 6, still too much for me as yet. - nice to see you getting into the forum ........you'll be posting walks before you know it :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby malky_c » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:18 pm

Great colours as usual. Your photos show these hills up nicely 8)

I've come to rather like this area between Lochnagar and Glen Shee. These hills were the first ones I did after moving up to Scotland in 2000, and initially I found them a bit disappointing compared to all the summer holidays I had been on around Glen Coe and Glen Nevis. But they've grown on me over the years and I've been back to most of the summits 2 or 3 times.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby rockhopper » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:26 pm

Nice walk chris. :D You can avoid the end tarmac by doubling back to go west of Glas Maol and down by Meall Odhar but getting a lift is a definite bonus. Your colours are way better than mine were despite good weather (might try the RAW mode and see what happens) 8)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby ChrisW » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:22 pm

malky_c wrote:Great colours as usual. Your photos show these hills up nicely 8)
I've come to rather like this area between Lochnagar and Glen Shee. These hills were the first ones I did after moving up to Scotland in 2000, and initially I found them a bit disappointing compared to all the summer holidays I had been on around Glen Coe and Glen Nevis. But they've grown on me over the years and I've been back to most of the summits 2 or 3 times.

thanks malky - I like that area too, got my eye on a little wander from Glen Muick to Glen Shee to pick up a couple of stragglers but need just a little more fitness first.

by rockhopper on Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:26 pm
Nice walk chris. You can avoid the end tarmac by doubling back to go west of Glas Maol and down by Meall Odhar but getting a lift is a definite bonus. Your colours are way better than mine were despite good weather (might try the RAW mode and see what happens)

thanks rockhopper - just enjoyed your report (except for the GPS disaster) :( wish I had gone the way you suggest as I hate the tarmac...I got lucky :D If you try the RAW setting make sure you have software that can read/convert RAW files or you will be left frustrated, RAW does catch more detail though :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby gammy leg walker » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:24 pm

Another fine report & pictures once again Chris,you always seam to get fine weather wherever you go (not like me :lol: )
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby ChrisW » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:22 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:Another fine report & pictures once again Chris,you always seam to get fine weather wherever you go (not like me :lol: )

thanks Gammy - if it ain't sunny I ain't going :wink: I'm fortunate to be able to pick my days so if its raining I do some work instead :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby JonetCol » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:55 pm

Great report & fab pics Chris - I see you did 4 in one go and not two in two - nice one!! Jon:D
JonetCol
Munro compleatist

Munros:112   Corbetts:1

Postby ChrisW » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:14 pm

JonetCol wrote:Great report & fab pics Chris - I see you did 4 in one go and not two in two - nice one!! Jon:D

thanks JonetCol - I may have done 4 in one but I couldn't have done any more :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland