walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Liathach on Fire...

Liathach on Fire...

by andrewdoggett » Mon May 02, 2011 12:32 am

Route description: Liathach, Glen Torridon

Munros included on this walk: Mullach an Rathain (Liathach), Spidean a' Choire Lèith (Liathach)

Date walked: 01/05/2011

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 1610m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Liathach on Fire...

Postby walk aboot » Sat May 07, 2011 12:15 pm

These photos are yikes! (Great shot of the ptarmigans too, HighlandSC).
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Postby DEADEVEN » Thu May 19, 2011 8:17 pm

cracking report and some stunning photos
going here next weekend and hopefully going up liathach
staying in YH all weekend so hoping for a dry and sunny(with a little wind) long weekend :clap: :clap:
DEADEVEN
Munro compleatist

Munros:226   

Postby Bod » Fri May 20, 2011 9:25 pm

Will do, hope get up Liathach too before too long.......great report! :D
andrewdoggett wrote:Jeez, got some attention this report - thanks - glad you all liked it - though a shame the fire will have temporarily destroyed some views :(

The pictures were on the news; Trail Magazine have contacted me also; they want to include an article in their next months issue... :)

It's an epic mountain - Liathach - some fabulous conditions over the last two weeks - and some great reports from everyone - Scotland at it's very best - I have to go away to India for a couple of months; will miss the hills so please keep these reports coming; I'll be missing the munros!!

Slanj...
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby jeanette » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:07 pm

Hi Andrew, a well deserved winner. Liathach is the only mountain I ever cried on. I was all for turning back but the leader of the group I was with would not allow me so I went on. Glad I did once I was safely down. I have completed many munros but am terrified of sheer drops (o.k. if I have about a foot either side of me) but on Liathach I was really scared. Gald to say I completed it and was the only woman in the group to go on and climb Alligin the next day. Looking at your photos brought back memories of the day I climbed it and I could honestly feel the fear when looking at the pinnacles and remembering that day. No fires then. I loved reading your report and seeing your dramatic pictures. Happy walking. Best wishes Jeanette.
jeanette

Munros:195   

Postby Megan McQAust » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:40 am

Congratulations Paul on your walk and wonderful photos - I do have some concerns though about an apparent blase approach to wildfire. The combination of radiant heat and smoke inhalation is extremely dangerous. You are extremely lucky to have walked through it, I ask that others do not follow your example. It is heartening that fire fighters were actively dousing flames early.

We in the antipodes are very much aware how dangerous an approaching bushfire is.
All hillwakers should pay particular care to the use of fire and cooking equipment - making sure that all fire is in a cleared space, preferably 3 feet either side; that all fires if lit are absolutrely extinguished before leaving them - preferably covered with soil or extinguished with water.

Australia suffers dangerous bushfires annually - the last 2 years ago with severe loss of life (173 people dead), significant injurues, losses of homes (about 2000) and huge loss of endangered flora and fauna.

The thought of the Scottish mountains and moors being obliterated by fire is a major concern.

Please care for the environment which gives you so much pleasure, contentment, challenge & clean air. Love it and protect it & PLEASE DO NOT WALK THROUGH BUSHFIRES!!!!
Megan McQAust
Ambler

Postby gaffr » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:56 am

After the drama of the billowing smoke, that we could see from the Fionn Loch Corbetts a month ago, a bit of healing has begun in Torridon after the wet spell of weather in May. :) Death for the wee pines though!
Torridon healing HPIM5169.jpg
The bigger pines on the other side of the Glen road remain untouched!
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby Oldman » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:28 am

Well Done!! An excellent report wich is stunning in it's simlicity with magical pictures and loads of information for future walkers. Simply brilliant!!! Thank you.

Safe walking y'all
Oldman
Oldman
Bird-watcher

Postby CurlyWurly » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:30 am

Stunning - Those photographs are amazing. :)
CurlyWurly
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:47
Fionas:17   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:51
Wainwrights:50   

Postby rocket-ron » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:56 am

Well done andrew just noticed you made it in to the latest trail magazine
rocket-ron
Mountaineer

Munros:222   Corbetts:94
Fionas:22   
Sub 2000:15   

Postby victoriajarrett » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:52 pm

rocket-ron wrote:Well done andrew just noticed you made it in to the latest trail magazine

Which Trail Magazine - i just went and brought June 2011 edition and i don't see the report in there... is there another edition?!
victoriajarrett
Mountaineer

Munros:41   
Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:1   

Postby rocket-ron » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:50 pm

July just got it through door today
rocket-ron
Mountaineer

Munros:222   Corbetts:94
Fionas:22   
Sub 2000:15   

Postby victoriajarrett » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:14 pm

rocket-ron wrote:July just got it through door today

damn!!! I brought June's... But noticed that July's is out on the 8th June. Now i have two copies of June's magazine. Subscribers of the magazine must get it earlier.
victoriajarrett
Mountaineer

Munros:41   
Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Left Behind » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:58 am

Just saw your Trail article, nice one pal! 8)
Left Behind
Hill Bagger

Postby The-Big-Grey-Man » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:27 pm

I saw one of the pictures in this report in Trail Magazine, well done for getting it included, a day to remember indeed.
The-Big-Grey-Man
Munro compleatist

Postby Ray Mackay » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:29 pm

What an amazing report, and account of such a strange event to happen on the start of May in scotland....Liathach here i come...i knew it was spectacular but the views are outstanding....
Ray Mackay
Mountain Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   

28 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland