walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The abridged version of the South Glen Shiel ridge

The abridged version of the South Glen Shiel ridge

Postby Stephen and Ruby » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:06 pm

Route description: South Glen Shiel Ridge: 7 Munros

Munros included on this walk: Aonach Air Chrith, Creag a'Mhàim, Druim Shionnach, Maol chinn-dearg

Date walked: 31/05/2011

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 21.5 km

Ascent: 1350m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The best walk I've done for a long time...

My second opportunity for tackling some Munros came earlier this week, along with my friend Neil as pictured below, and was a complete success. Sadly though Ruby of 'Stephen and Ruby' was unable to join on this expedition :(

Kintale was a totally new area of Scotland to explore, and made me realise just how extensive the Highlands are, especially when all we could see for most of the day was beautiful mountains as far as the eye could see.

Neil and I were lucky to have the right day weather wise and managed a healthy 4 out of the 7 Munros along the spectacular ridge, and with a circular walk that got us back to the car with only 4km road at the end. There were a few 'hairy' moments (for me) of scrambling, when the ridge got a bit narrow, which certainly added to the adventure. All four Munros were amazing, and the descent down the Eirecheanach ridge was nice too! Good to kick-start my early Munro tally from 2 to 6, and congratulations to Neil on bagging his first 4 Munros all in one day...hopefully he is now hooked - watch this space :D

Description on walkhighlands was a great help to us, as were the helpful reviews, so thanks to all!
Attachments
IMG_0230.JPG
IMG_0194.JPG
On the big Aonach Air Chrith!
IMG_0191.JPG
IMG_0187.JPG
IMG_0182.JPG
IMG_0167.JPG
Neil on the edge
IMG_0158.JPG
Back east to Creag a' Mhaim
IMG_0125.JPG
Near Cluanie Inn

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Stephen and Ruby on Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stephen and Ruby
Mountaineer

Munros:26   Corbetts:16
Fionas:5   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:5   

Re: The abridged version of the South Glen Shiel ridge

Postby goth_angel » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:03 am

Nice report. Did the same as you a couple of years ago - had meant to do the whole lot but ran out of time and water. Didn't much care for the descent from Aonach air Chrith. :?
goth_angel

Munros:101   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:84
Wainwrights:179   

Re: The abridged version of the South Glen Shiel ridge

Postby ChrisW » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:19 pm

Cracking good walk by the looks of those pics - good effort :D :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland