walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgor na h-Ulaidh

Sgor na h-Ulaidh

Postby Stretch » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:31 pm

Munros included on this walk: Sgòr na h-Ulaidh

Date walked: 03/06/2011

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 13.6 km

Ascent: 1083m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The day before conquering the mighty Aonach Eagach I set up camp in Glen Etive and made my way down to Invercharnan in order to walk up Sgor na h-Ulaidh. [Spelled 'Sgurr' on the OS map] I chose this route over the traditional approach from Glencoe simply because I wanted to stay in Glen Etive - Gable Gable End was meeting me at my campsite later so I thought it would be best to stay in the area. I had planned to add the corbett, Beinn Maol Chaluim to this route but due to a late start I had to leave it for another day. The forest track from Invercharnan is a breeze and at this time of the year it's lined with purple rhododendrons. It took about 40 mins to reach the open hillside, at which point I broke right and headed up to the lower top of Meall a'Bhuiridh. This was a slog and a half. I had been cooped up for the past 3 weeks, writing away on a chapter of my thesis, and my legs were feelin awful. But, the steady breeze kept the 23 degree heat off me and the views were excellent, so I pressed on. From the summit I turned northwest to carry on up the ridge of Sgurr na h-Ulaidh. There are some crags along the ridge, but you can pick up a path that follows some fence posts and they guide you through most of the steeper bits. Once at the summit I had views for about 5 minutes, then sadly the cloud came down. I chose to descend to the bealach and then carry on down to the glen between Sgurr na h-Ulaidh and the far end of Beinn Fhionnlaidh. The line of fence posts used for the ascent takes you all the way down to the stream where you will eventually pass a nice waterfall. But from that point there was basically no path. Every step was squishy until I finally hit a path taking me back to the forest track. Relief! Five hours after setting off I was back to the car and then I met up with Gable Gable End back at the tent. We had a pretty nice spot along the River Etive, a good fire, some bratwursts cooked on a disposable bbq, and some drinks to steel our nerves for the Aonach Eagach the following day. A good end to what was a pretty tough day on the hills.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Stob Dearg - The Big Buachaille on my way into Glen Etive.jpg

Rhododendrons.jpg

Looking back to Ben Starav from the forest track.jpg

Sgurr na h-Ulaidh from the end of the forest.jpg

The slog up Meall a'Bhuiridh.jpg

Sgurr na h-Ulaidh from Meall a'Bhuiridh.jpg

Top of Meall a'Bhuiridh looking down Glen Etive.jpg

Bidean nam Bian and the corbett, Beinn Maol Chaluim.jpg

Meall a'Bhuiridh below Sgurr na h-Ulaidh.jpg

Looking back to Ben Starav group.jpg

Sgurr na h-Ulaidh summit with Bidean nam Bian.jpg

Looking down to Glencoe and across to the Aonach Eagach.jpg

Fence posts lead all the way down to the glen.jpg

Rhododendrons and Ben Starav.jpg

The view from our campsite down Glen Etive.jpg
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Sgor na h-Ulaidh

Postby rockhopper » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:48 pm

Good report and excellent timing stretch :D if I'd stuck to my plan I'd have been on this hill today but called off when I saw the weather forecast worsening towards the end of last week (didn't fancy another weekend of bad weather) - note what you said about you return route as I was planning to ascend that way - cheers 8)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby davetherave » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:11 am

Nice one stretch, some cracking pics once again. You can never go wrong with a picture of the Buachaille. But that 1st one of yours is perfect.

You mention the Corbett ......... but what about the wee Graham Meall Lighiche.!!

Tut tut , you should have went for it. :lol:
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby skuk007 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:47 pm

Nice to see some pics of the views from the top of this one stretch, didn't see a thing when I did it. :(
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby gammy leg walker » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:43 pm

They Rhododendrons have fairly flowered from the last time I walked this way stretch :lol:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Stretch » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:54 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:They Rhododendrons have fairly flowered from the last time I walked this way stretch :lol:

The views cleared up too big man, wahaha. :lol:
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8

Postby Jockstar » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:06 pm

Nice reports and excellant photos. Looked like a bit of a pipe opener for the big day that was about to happen. And
you had the weather and company for a small dram (is there such a thing?). :D
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland