walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

2 out of 3 ain't bad!

2 out of 3 ain't bad!

Postby Jockstar » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:13 am

Route description: Beinn a' Ghlò

Munros included on this walk: Bràigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain, Càrn Liath (Beinn a' Ghlò)

Date walked: 04/06/2011

Time taken: 11 hours

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 1070m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Looking to continue our climbing in Perthshire we decided to take the tent up to Faskally, outside Pitlochry, where we would look to do Beinn a' Ghlo which was nearby to Blair Atholl. Once rested after the previous warm day we set off on the northbound A9 knowing that this was a rewarding walk if the conditions were good though we knew it was going to be a long day if we trusted the WH website, and as we were always at the longer end of the scale this was going to be tiring but hopefully rewarding. We managed,thanks to Su (the navigator) to find the right road which brought us to the oversubscribed car park at loch Moraig. We were pleased to see so many cars as it showed the popularity of this walk, and before long we had set out onto the estate road which would take us along at a brisk pace and 20 minutes later we were at the wooden hut that
signalled for us to head towards the clear path that scarred the ascent to our first munro of the day, Carn Liath. :D

P1010374.JPG
the path snaking its way up Carn Liath

The weather conditions were perfect and as we got higher we were able to see more clearly Loch Moraig and also the road through the estate that seemed to go on forever. What we didn't know was how important that road would become as a focus for us to get back to the car. :D

P1010378.JPG
Looking down on the road

We could also see the great view towards the south. :D

P1010383.JPG
loch Moraig

With good conditions for climbing we were zig zagging our way to the first munro in good time. There was a hint of cloud starting to appear as we got nearer to the top but at that point there was nothing to worry about.

P1010381.JPG
Su putting in a good effort to get up to the top.

Glamis Castle - the home of the Duke of Atholl - in the distance easily recognised with the white stone.

P1010382.JPG
Glamis Castle

As we got to the cairn and trig point of Carn Liath there was now a noticeable clag starting to appear. :( But we had fine views to the north and to the 2nd and 3rd Munros, so without hesitation we had the obligatory photos and having met another group of walkers we set off down the ridge towards Braigh Coire Chruinn- Bahalgain - BCCB for short. And it was a fine view that we had until we got near to the ascent up to BCCB.

P1010391.JPG
Su at the cairn on Carn Liath

Great views also across to BCCB and Carn nan Gabhar, which gave us a great idea of what we should have seen for the whole walk as it is described in all the walking guides. Unfortunately this would only last another 30 minutes and by the time we reached the cairn at BCCB we had had the best of the day. :(

P1010395.JPG
BCCB on the left and Carn nan Gabhar to the right from Carn Liath

P1010398.JPG
The ridge that winds its way towards BCCB

Following the clear path towards BCCB we were still able to see our way and climbed steadily up to the top of BCCB and our second munro of the day. However, by this time the visibility was down to 20 metres above 600 mtrs so by the time we reached BCCB cairn we had made good time but conditions were deteriorating. We also had the same guys who had climbed up Carn Liath for company which was great for morale as all the great views had now gone.

P1010409.JPG
Second Munro done

We made the decision then as the weather forecast had been for the sun to come through in the afternoon and so we made to towards the third munro. After a short time it started to rain quite steadily and we kept on by map and compass to find the little path down to the right and ended up at a path that would take us down to the Alt Bealach an Fhiodha. :(

P1010411.JPG
Rain as well

We had missed the bealach to Carn nan Gabhar and so decided that knowing that there was along walk back out of this we followed along the burn and knowing reading previous reports (thanks Gammy) we had a long slog in front of us. :(

P1010415.JPG
Alt Bealach an Fhiodha

This was born out by the clag with never more than 10 yards visbility and when we did drop down we couldnt get onto any path and had to keep up on the hill to make sure we didn't slip down the slope. So we walked on and eventually after 3 hours walking through heather and grass reached the road that took us back to our car. In my opinion it would be helpful if the walk report made a point that this is a walk on its own of you do the 3rd Munro. Even if the weather was fine it is still a bigger walk than the 13.75 miles.

I will be back to do this again especially as I now know where the paths are on an alternative way into Carn nan Gabhar. :D
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Re: 2 out of 3 ain't bad!

Postby Jock McJock » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:33 am

Nice one Brian, pity about the weather. You're starting to rack them up now :D
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby skuk007 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:09 pm

Nice pictures, before the clag turned up, Jockstar.
What's with Mr McNeish's timings on this one, he reckons all three can be done in 6-8 hours. :?
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:23 pm

Jockstar wrote:knowing reading previous reports (thanks Gammy) we had a long slog in front of us.

Glad to be of help Brian/Sue :lol:

You got more views than I did when doing these 3,and your right its a fair old slog back to the car.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Jockstar » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:46 pm

What's with Mr McNeish's timings on this one, he reckons all three can be done in 6-8 hours

I reckon McNeish (or his buddies) must have been on a bike !!! The walk out is 3 hours on its own !
Also I like to take the walk in and enjoy the moment..not run round like a demented dog! though that has been the case a couple of times when we have had to double back :lol:
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Postby Alan S » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:37 pm

Well done brian and sue, good report
I really enjoyed this route apart from the long walk out, that was murder :o
skuk007 wrote:Nice pictures, before the clag turned up

I didnt know gammy leg walker was even there :lol:
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby Bod » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:39 am

Nice one Jockstar! And good to see you out there in the Blair Atholl hills - spent many many days there during my Scout days "82" onwards..............Maybe we'll hook up for finishing off Bein a'ghlo, Valerie's to get up there too!
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby Jockstar » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:45 am

we can sort this one out once we have done Bren More and Stob Binnien. :D Really peed of because I miss the bealach over to carn nan ghabahr. :( Stiil glad to see the road to the car after that long walk out. :D
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Postby pollyh33 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:36 pm

Smashing report! When I started reading it, I was thinking 'I'm definitely doing those next, good clear paths, plenty of people about' and then the weather happened. It really does change a pleasant day out to a slightly scary one!

You both look fab in your photos, thanks for posting :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby monty » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:53 pm

Well done Jockstar. Its a bugger when the weather turns against you. Never mind it gives you a chance to do the long walk out again :lol: :lol:
monty

Postby Jockstar » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:32 pm

monty wrote: Never mind it gives you a chance to do the long walk out again :lol: :lol:

gee thanks Monty...I never thought of that !!!! :(
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland