walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Inaccessible Pinnacle, Cuillin Hills

Inaccessible Pinnacle, Cuillin Hills

Postby Bod » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:58 pm

Route description: Sgùrr Dearg and the In Pinn

Munros included on this walk: Inaccessible Pinnacle

Date walked: 04/06/2011

Ascent: 980m

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The first weekend in June had arrived and we were off to Skye! :D :crazy: :lol:
It was Saturday morning 6.30am and the big questions were, how would we all feel today? And would the weather be in our favour as suggested by our trusty forecasters? After all we were camped in Glen Brittle and some of us had experienced the unexpected there before. Well fed and watered we nipped from the tents along to the Glen Brittle Hut and ascended towards the waterfall - four of us committed, gelled and savouring the prospects of the day.
DSCN1236.JPG
A beautiful waterfall in a vast gorge just 800metres into our walk. We heard the cuckoo and saw it flying eastwards up the slopes above the falls as we headed towards the window buttress on the Sgurr Dearg approach.
DSCN1257.JPG
Our campsite below on the beach at Loch Brittle - a fine, fine spot, but beware of the midge and the winds that like to take over from eachother at different times of the day and prey on the lowly campers....he..he!
DSCN1258.JPG
Photo of myself and Valerie getting a feel for the Cuillin. (By Redrock)
DSCN1266.JPG
DSCN1277.JPG
DSCN1283.JPG
DSCN1285.JPG
We had arrived at the Inaccessible Pinnacle, all of us having enjoyed the climb. Three of us were there for the first time and we shared reactions to our expectations. Wonderous and exhilarating it was and we had it to all to ourselves. We were first on the mountain and that felt very, very special. So, it was time to get ropes and the metal out as conditions were good, but you never know how the weather might turn. Eagerly and with care we layered up, had refreshment and nibbles, left our sacks and prepared our boots to grip the Cuillin.
DSCN1287.JPG
Eerie and atmospheric as it was with the misty clouds, we descended down the scrambling, slabbed and rubble surface of Sgurr Dearg to arrive at the foot of the Pinn. Almost like a curtain unveiling the blue skies appeared. How lucky were we, though there was some mixed opinion about how much of the drop-offs you might want to see? But the wind was barely a breeze and that was real issue to watch.
DSCN1303.JPG
DSCN1307.JPG
DSCN1315.JPG
DSCN1329.JPG
DSCN1331.JPG
DSCN1332.JPG
Ah well, so here we are half way up the back of the In-Pinn fin, it was time to stop and take some panoramic pictures! First across An Stac, Mhic Choinnich and Sgurr Alasdair then one down into Coire Lagan focusing in on vast screes at the foot of the Great Stone Chute - FANTASTIC!
DSCN1335.JPG
DSCN1336.JPG
Back on route again we were all soon congregated near the summit, then after a re-jig of the gear we got settled to enjoy some time together sat under the "boulder" tied into the shiny steel chain kindly fitted by the local mountain recue. All fears were gone and there was no rush to leave other than fellow climbers were on their way and would need our spot. A calmness and high spirits descended upon us giving a few moments to relish and remember forever.
DSCN1353.JPG
DSCN1354.JPG
DSCN1360.JPG
DSCN1362.JPG
I was safely down first onto the gabbro rock slabbed surface at the foot of the Pinn and was able to get a classic view, but this time with familiar faces perched on the top. Soon we would be making the decision what to do next?
DSCN1363.JPG
DSCN1374.JPG
DSCN1386.JPG
DSCN1392.JPG
All four of us happy with our sacks on our backs again were raring for more adventure. We headed off down below the side of the Pinn for Bealach Coire Lagan with Sgurr Mhic Choinnich in our sights......progress had to be carefully made as the three Cuillin novices in our party (including myself) continued to realise the risks involved here. Basalt rock sections in the mass of Gabbro proved of interest and in wet conditions would be oh so slippy with the gradients involved. Rock falls of recent years presented themselves and the Cuillin environment just exuded threat and charm together in an enchanting cocktail of fun. Respect due and respect offered with each and every step.
DSCN1394.JPG
Looking back up had to be done very carefully as focus and concentration on what lay ahead became clearly our new prioirty. My next report looks at Sgurr Mhic Choinnich in more detail as this mountain seriously contributed to an exceptionally enjoyable mountain day. Great weather in an awe-inspiring wondeful place and of course made even more special sharing it together with Valerie, Redrock and Steve...we'll be back :D :D :D
Last edited by Bod on Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:27 pm, edited 16 times in total.
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Re: Inaccessible Pinnacle and Sgurr Mhic Choinnich

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:04 pm

How did you feel when you got back to the campsite after these two Bod
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Re: Inaccessible Pinnacle, Cuillin Hills

Postby skuk007 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:08 pm

Congrats in getting this one done :clap:

Pic 1363 makes it look like it might be easier going up the bit you normally come down. Says me, like I know what I'm talking about. :wtf:
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby colgregg » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:17 pm

Superb, what an excellent day out you had with great weather too!!! Been on Sgurr Dearg several times but only stood and stared at the pin. One day perhaps.......
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Phil the Hill » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:45 pm

skuk007 said
Pic 1363 makes it look like it might be easier going up the bit you normally come down.

I think it can be done either way, but the side facing Sgurr Dearg is steeper (not so obvious in some of the pictures), plus you'd have the additional hazard of people abseiling down on top of you :( Says me, like I know what I'm talking about!
Phil the Hill
Walker

Munros:274   Corbetts:30
Fionas:12   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:63   Islands:25

Postby Jockstar » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:58 pm

Well described Bod and congats to you, Val and David. I was wondering if David was there in a professional capacity should there be the need of a prayer or rousing hymn to bolster your courage ! :lol: :lol:
Your photos told the story but no doubt you will be sharing your thoughts soon with us mere mortals ! :D i expect there was the odd dram to celebrate the occasion. Cheers and well done to you all !!! :D
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby Stretch » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:01 pm

Great job all four of you! Excellent photos too Bod. Suddenly I find myself really wanting to do this at some point before the year is out. Had you absailed before or worked with ropes at all before you did this? Or was it learn on the fly?
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Inaccessible Pinnacle and Sgurr Mhic Choinnich

Postby Bod » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:12 am

Just brilliant glw, it was one of those days when apart from the last few hundred metres (when you just want to sit down), I felt like I was 18 again.......bring on the rest of the Cuillin Hills. Learnt so much on this one. Well done on AE! Looked like you had great fun, cheers the noo :D
gammy leg walker wrote:How did you feel when you got back to the campsite after these two Bod
Bod
Walker

Postby Bod » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:18 am

Aye Phil, you are right about having to watch out for others coming down, but more importantly it is a harder climb. I am not a climber, but found the back of the fin fairly straight forward. Having safety and a lead from my pal Steve was crucial for us. Plus the wind was very low. Cheers........
Phil the Hill wrote:skuk007 said
Pic 1363 makes it look like it might be easier going up the bit you normally come down.

I think it can be done either way, but the side facing Sgurr Dearg is steeper (not so obvious in some of the pictures), plus you'd have the additional hazard of people abseiling down on top of you :( Says me, like I know what I'm talking about!
Bod
Walker

Postby Bod » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:22 am

Aye we did Jockstar, just a few wee low flyers though! Our Saturday evening was very relaxed and friendly in our midge-secured den. We'll see you soon, Bod :D
Jockstar wrote:Well described Bod and congats to you, Val and David. I was wondering if David was there in a professional capacity should there be the need of a prayer or rousing hymn to bolster your courage ! :lol: :lol:
Your photos told the story but no doubt you will be sharing your thoughts soon with us mere mortals ! :D i expect there was the odd dram to celebrate the occasion. Cheers and well done to you all !!! :D
Bod
Walker

Postby Bod » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:28 am

Hi Stretch, my pal Steve is a very experienced climber and took the lead, I am not new to ropes and things, but Redrock and Valerie were relative novices in terms of the climbing with a little abseiling in days gone past. Don't let that put you off as a good guide will keep you right, all the best, Bod
Stretch wrote:Great job all four of you! Excellent photos too Bod. Suddenly I find myself really wanting to do this at some point before the year is out. Had you absailed before or worked with ropes at all before you did this? Or was it learn on the fly?
Bod
Walker

Postby Johnny Corbett » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:36 pm

Well done to you all, it's allways good to read reports of the Pinn to gauge a idea of what to expect when your time comes. You had some good photos there Bod, cheers.
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby ndhudson » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:26 pm

So cool! This is the 2nd or 3rd report that I have read on this climb and I am sold! (I'm in the US, so I was not familiar with this climb until recently). I've gotta try this one some day!!! :D :D :D Thanks for a really great report Bod!
ndhudson
Munro compleatist

Corbetts:1

Postby mountain thyme » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:14 am

well done guys..frightened to do this one! is it as bad as you expect?!?
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Bod » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:59 am

No it is not as bad as you expect, it is just absolutely wonderful on a good day like we had, but get yourself good guide or very good climbing friend who sets your mind at ease. You will manage the climb up the back of the fin as the holds are good....all the best and good luck!
mountain thyme wrote:well done guys..frightened to do this one! is it as bad as you expect?!?
Bod
Walker

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland