walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Forgive me walkers for I have sinned....

Forgive me walkers for I have sinned....

Postby pollyh33 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:28 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Dubhchraig

Fionas included on this walk: Fiarach

Date walked: 08/06/2011

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

.....I didn't follow the very clear guidance given by the forum and its users!

This was to be my first attempt at solo walking and I so wanted to get it right. I was going to climb Dubhcraigh and maybe even Oss, oh yes I was that optimistic! I arrived at Dalrigh on a bright sunny morning and had remembered everything I needed for the walk. Got myself organised and pounced on one of the very few people I would see that day got him to take my photo.
car.JPG
That's me feeling so optimistic!

Crossed over the WHW and was offered a chance by two gentlemen to walk with them down to Crianlarich, I politely declined and carried on. When I got to the gate over the railway line I checked the route and carried on along the path which in my mind veered to the right. I couldn't understand why people had said that the path gets really boggy here- it looked fantastic to me- that's because I was still on the landrover track!!! Still I carried on until I came to a locked gate warning of shooting!!! Yikes!!
gate.JPG
No-one mentioned this in their reports!

Got my OS map out and lo and behold, I wasn't where I should be- drat!
The smart thing to do would go back and pick up the correct path but I decided just follow the fenceline to the top. It was a bit marshy but apart from the frog that I speared with my walking pole- ooops :o it was quite easy.
From the top of the forest I headed towards the nearest peak , which turned out to be Fiarach and once I disentangled myself from loads of old fence wire, I enjoyed really amazing views. And there in the distance was Dubhcraigh! What an eejit! Had a wee laugh to myself, enjoyed my Snickers and headed back down the way I came.

view.JPG
Nice view

And what did I see as I approached the gate at the railway? The correct path!!! If only I paid closer attention to the guide :?

Got home and had a message from Gagfax asking how it had gone. I confessed my stupid error and he kindly offered to walk it with me a few days later. Now given that he knows Dubhcraigh like the back of his hand and I struggle to know my a**e from my elbow I took up his very kind offer.

And so we met up on Wednesday and climbed it properly. He brought wit, wisdom and youth and I brought...sweeties!
Here are some of the photos...

bridge.jpg
A shoogly bridge

misty.jpg
Slightly misty conditions

top.jpg
So this is the top of Dubhcraigh!!

It was a bit dreich at the top but eventually the mist cleared and we were rewarded with some smashing views of Loch Lomond and Loch Oss.
loch lomond.jpg

oss.jpg

The weather continued to improve as we headed back to the carpark but it was still a bogfest. I gave up trying to keep clean and just trawled through it all as best as I could.

It was a fantastic day out and I'm eternally grateful to Garry (Gagfax) for pointing a daft old woman in the right direction. :lol:
Last edited by pollyh33 on Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Forgive me walkers for I have sinned....

Postby Johnny Corbett » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:38 pm

Repent for your sins oh sinfull one :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby pollyh33 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:43 pm

And my penance is???
pollyh33
Walker

Postby Johnny Corbett » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:41 pm

Ah a lady of the cloth? As you show sorrow repentance is forgiven :D On a serious note don't worry about going the wrong way, we've all done it.The main thing is you realised you were on the wrong track and amended it and you still managed a Munro and a Graham, well done :)
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Postby Graeme D » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:46 pm

I love the title! :lol: And getting Fiarach is a real bonus too - even if you didn't set out to get it. One of my favourite Grahams that one! :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby pollyh33 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:58 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:Ah a lady of the cloth? As you show sorrow repentance is forgiven :D On a serious note don't worry about going the wrong way, we've all done it.The main thing is you realised you were on the wrong track and amended it and you still managed a Munro and a Graham, well done :)

Thanks for that JC (very apt!)

I thought you were going to make me self-flagellate with the straps from my compass!!
pollyh33
Walker

Postby pollyh33 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:00 pm

Graeme Dewar wrote:I love the title! :lol: And getting Fiarach is a real bonus too - even if you didn't set out to get it. One of my favourite Grahams that one! :D

Thanks Graeme. Yeah smashing views from the top. :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Postby Johnny Corbett » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:04 pm

When you're on landrover tracks look out for small cairns marking the spot to leave the track. If i recall i think that track has one. Though allways check with the map first before leaving a track.
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Postby pollyh33 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:07 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:When you're on landrover tracks look out for small cairns marking the spot to leave the track. If i recall i think that track has one. Though allways check with the map first before leaving a track.

Thanks JC

There is so much I need to learn about hill-walking if I want to go out on my own :?
pollyh33
Walker

Postby Johnny Corbett » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:14 pm

No problem, you'll learn as you go and pick up little tips along the way and if you're like me you'll learn from your mistakes. I'm sure you'll also get good advice when needed from the more experianced walkers on this site if required.
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Postby pollyh33 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:28 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:No problem, you'll learn as you go and pick up little tips along the way and if you're like me you'll learn from your mistakes. I'm sure you'll also get good advice when needed from the more experianced walkers on this site if required.

Oh I'll be asking, you can be sure of that. I think Gagfax is probably lying down in a darkened room trying to recover from my endless questions :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Postby AlisonFox66 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:37 pm

I recall a group of twelve walkers making your mistake .Most of us were very experienced and should have known better .
How twelve people can miss a marker cairn I don't know ............
AlisonFox66
Ambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:87
Sub 2000:497   Hewitts:311
Wainwrights:214   

Postby rockhopper » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:38 pm

:lol: :lol: enjoyed reading your story - bet we've all done something similar from time to time :shh: :think: ....we just don't all admit to it 8) glad you enjoyed it though and you're learning as you go :thumbup:
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Del246 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:03 pm

We all make mistakes ! At least that's 2 new hills you have done ! Good report and pics. I always like your headlines !!
Del246
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   Corbetts:15
Fionas:2   Donalds:1

Postby pollyh33 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:01 pm

AlisonFox66 wrote:I recall a group of twelve walkers making your mistake .Most of us were very experienced and should have known better .
How twelve people can miss a marker cairn I don't know ............

Oops 12 people! Don't feel so bad now :D Thanks Alison
pollyh33
Walker

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland