walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Nevis

Ben Nevis

Postby John D Barrack » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:50 pm

Route description: Ben Nevis by the Mountain Path

Munros included on this walk: Ben Nevis

Date walked: 21/05/2010

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 17 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The time came for my first munro. I couldn't sleep the night before, due to excitement. So up early packed my bag, double checked I had everything, tripple checked everything. I left feeling confident I had packed everything. So off we drove, an hour later and I realised I had forgot probably the most important piece of equipment...a flask of coffee! :( Passing the magnificent cairngorms we eventually got to fort william.
P1010947.JPG
Car Park
It was a very hot and humid day (a bit too much really) but the views were outstanding.
P1010952.JPG
The Views were stunning!
After a while we got to the beautiful Loch at the middle, Lochan Meall an t - Suidhe.
P1020014.JPG
The halfway Lochan
P1020010.JPG
Me having a breather
It was about this point that Mike mentioned he only had a half litre of juice with him because he "though that would be enough"... :? Never mind there was the waterfall nearby so he collected some water there. On we went onto the zigzag path, which seemed to go on forever! The path became quite featureless and was just a rock strewn part. We thought we seen the top, "we are nearly there!" I kept on saying to Mike. However when we got to the "top" I seen the actual top still a bit further on....
P1010973.JPG
We thought this was the top... how wrong we were!
P1020032.JPG
The actual top
After Mikes hopes being built up by me and being crushed by Nevis we carried on. Surprisingly there was still a lot of snow on the top, in May! The snow went up to my ankles which I thought was deep for May as I wasn't expecting any snow there.
P1020041.JPG
Snow
Finally we got to the summit!!!
P1020062.JPG
Me on the summit
P1020055.JPG
Cliff
P1020049.JPG
The view from the top is incredible
P1020066.JPG
North face of Ben Nevis
P1020105.JPG
We actually found this sold sign on the top! Someone must have bought Ben Nevis!
P1020071.JPG
Allt a' Mhuilinn (No idea how to pronounce this so I call it "a big valley")
P1020050.JPG
Bidean Nam Bian from Ben Nevis summit
P1020087.JPG
Snow was ankle deep in summer!
After phoning practically everyone I knew with excitement, I had just done my first munro and was elated. It was after a while that I released there was virtually no wind which to me on top of a mountain especially the highest one in britain was very strange indeed. On we went down back the same way we came.
P1020133.JPG
Us on the way down
Coming down is definitely not as fun as going up. Eventually we came to our saviour... the Ben Nevis inn and had a well deserved pint outside where we heard a psychotic sheep miles away and couldn't stop laughing at it.
P1020184.JPG
Having a well deserved pint at the bottom, however had the idea of putting a pub on the bottom is a genius!
Knackered and glad we done it we headed home.
John D Barrack
Stravaiging

Munros:55   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:5   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland