walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mellbreak to Burnbank Fell

Mellbreak to Burnbank Fell

Postby canisp » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:20 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Blake Fell, Burnbank Fell, Gavel Fell, Hen Comb, Mellbreak

Date walked: 03/06/2011

Time taken: 11

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 1050m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hills done - Mellbreak, Hen Comb, Gavel Fell, Blake Fell and Burnbank Fell
OS Landranger map No 89
Start - Maggie’s Bridge car park (free), Grid Ref 135210
Distance walked 13 km’s
Height Gain 1050 metre’s
03 June 2011

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

With good weather forecast i’d decided to have a crack at these five Wainwrights. After two quick stops on route, Troutbeck Bridge for petrol and then Windermere for a few photo’s i arrived at the car park next to Maggie’s Bridge and was on my way by nine o’clock.

A break from driving, Windermere early morning
0.jpg

From the car park i walked back up the lane turning right at the junction then right again at the inn, down past the church and over a bridge which led to Kirkgate farm. After continuing a few hundred metres along the track i took the path which passes through the forest to Grid Ref 140201.

From the lane looking to Carling Knott
1.jpg

Loweswater with Low Fell on the right, from 141200
2.jpg

Loweswater with Carling Knott on the left, from 141200
3.jpg

Loweswater from a small level area on the way up Mellbreak
4.jpg

From here the grass soon gave way to a scree slope which was obviously the way up. I must have picked a good line as no problems were met, above the flat area in the photo above the scree gave way to rock steps and in no time the angle eased and the north west top of Mellbreak was reached.

Looking north west from Mellbreak‘s small summit cairn
5.jpg

From Hen Comb looking to Grasmoor seen over Mellbreak
6.jpg

Hen Comb from Whiteoak Moss
7.jpg

Blake Fell from Burnbank Fell
8.jpg

I continued to Mellbreak’s true summit before stopping for a 1 hours rest. The best views of the day were had towards Buttermere while descending south from Mellbreak, but the sun being dead ahead ruled out photography. The route to Hen Comb was straight forward and once the summit was reached another hour was spent resting. Once Gavel Fell was reached the hard work was over with only a short distance to Blake Fell then Burnbank Fell and with only a little height to be gained.

Loweswater from around 115216
9.jpg

Loweswater from around 115216
a.jpg

Descending the path through Holme Wood
b.jpg

Loweswater near Watergate farm
c.jpg

From Burnbank Fell a grassy path heads north east then north as it gets steeper before reaching the track shown on the map. Leaving this track i descended through Holme Wood to reach Watergate farm from where less than 1 km put me back at the car.

Mellbreak from near the car park
d.jpg

Mellbreak (zoomed) from near the car park
e.jpg

Dub beck near Maggie’s Bridge
f.jpg
canisp

Munros:281   Corbetts:191
Fionas:28   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:195
Wainwrights:213   

Re: Mellbreak to Burnbank Fell

Postby john923 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:00 pm

That looks like a good circuit canisp - I'll file it away for when we get around to these - and great pics as usual. Funnily enough, the day you did this we were going up your namesake hill, though not in quite such good visibility. :)
john923

Munros:16   Corbetts:10
Fionas:6   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:237
Wainwrights:187   Islands:5

Postby Crawler » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:16 pm

You've got some really beautiful photos there especially the Windermere one. Often wondered about that route up Melbreak but it always looks like it would be horribly loose
Crawler
Bird-watcher

Postby susanmyatt » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:12 am

Still got a few of these to do, thanks for pics on a lovely day :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Postby canisp » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:15 am

Thanks for the kind comments

john923 wrote:Funnily enough, the day you did this we were going up your namesake hill, though not in quite such good visibility.
I envy you, Canisp was one of my earliest hills done in the distant past, i need to get back there.

Crawler wrote:Often wondered about that route up Melbreak but it always looks like it would be horribly loose
I was expecting it to be loose but on the day didn’t find it too bad.

susanmyatt wrote:Still got a few of these to do
Good luck with the weather on the day.

Steve……
canisp

Munros:281   Corbetts:191
Fionas:28   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:195
Wainwrights:213   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland