walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Two Munros from Fersit - Monty's Power of Persuasion

Two Munros from Fersit - Monty's Power of Persuasion

Postby Stretch » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:09 pm

Route description: Stob Coire Easain and Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin

Munros included on this walk: Stob a' Choire Mheadhoin, Stob Coire Easain

Date walked: 11/06/2011

Time taken: 5.4 hours

Distance: 15.5 km

Ascent: 1233m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

On Friday I couldn't for the life of me decide where I was going to be walking on Saturday morning. Gammy Leg Walker had messed up his knee and we had to scrap plans to try the South Glen Shiel Ridge, so I had to come up with another plan. The weather was going to be bad later in the day so I knew I'd have to get up early and get going. I decided I would drive to Fort William and get myself to the start of the Ring of Steall and see what the conditions were like. I could do the 4, or if it looked poor, just do Stob Ban and Mullach nan Coirean. I posted something about this on Facebook and the Laird of Dunfermline's ears perked up and he made a few suggestions. "Stretch, I had a look at your munro map, why not have a go at Beinn Chabhair or Beinn Bhuidhe toward the south so that you can stay dry?" "Ok Monty" I say, "but I need to get some good use out of the car that I'm paying to rent so I'd like to get more than 1 munro done". "Wouldn't you want to save the Ring of Steall for the Roy Bridge meetup", Monty asks. "You could do the two munros from Fersit instead". " "Well Monty" I replied, "I could just do Stob Ban and its neighbor if I go to the Mamores". Next Monty uses his spellbinding powers with a subversive reply: "Not to harp on but do the two from Fersit. Chance of reasonable weather, not too far a drive, and you could manage it on your own!" What a joker. So I went to bed still fairly undecided.

This morning I woke up and immediately sent Gammy a msg on WH saying I was going up the A9 to Fersit to do Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin and Stob Coire Easain. :lol: Something inside me was saying this was a wise choice. Not sure what that was exactly. But I was up and out of the door at 5am and I started my walk by 7:35. It's a heck of a trudge up to Meall Cian Dearg, loads of bog, mud, and pure muck. But the weather was really nice and there was a gentle breeze to keep the bugs away. The steep prow of Meall Cian Dearg looked daunting but it posed no real problems - consider the fact that I just completed the Aonach Eagach ridge last Saturday 8) Once at the top it was an easy walk all the way to the summit of Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin. Sadly the cloud was covering the top, but that didn't spoil the fun for a family of munro-bagging sheep! I thought I was going to be the first to the summit today, but they beat me to it.

I barely paused to take a few pics at the top and then continued on down below the cloud toward the bealach. Stob Coire Easain had been in cloud for a bit, but it began to clear off as I approached and by the time I crossed the bealach it was cloud free. Again, some voice inside my head kept saying, "Stretch, you'll have reasonable weather . . . ". Hmm, it seemed I was set for some views at the top, so I plodded on. This peak towers over you as you approach, but it's straightforward and doesn't take long to get to the summit cairn. At the top I was rewarded for the earlier slog with views across to Schiehallion, Glencoe, the Mamores, and across to the Grey Corries. Fantastic! Great vantage point to view these hills. "Stretch, do the two from Fersit . . ." Ach, get out of my head Monty.

I sat down and soaked it all in, maybe too much seeing the slight sunburn I got. I met a few others as I left the top, but I had both summits to myself, the reward of a 4:30 alarm clock no doubt. I debated whether to reascend Sa'CM or drop down to Coire Laire. Either was going to be boggy and a bit of extra exercise wouldn't hurt me, so I reascended and retraced my steps back to the car. On my way back to Meall Cian Dearg a lone shower scooted right past me over Loch Trieg and I stayed dry. "Reeeaasooonable weaaatthherrr". Grr, ok Monty, your wise. The rest of the walk was pretty tiring as I recrossed the ridiculous bogs. Not a dry step the last quarter of the route. But I had been rewarded with some great views and I didn't complain too much. 5 hours and 40 mins later I reached the car and then . . . the rain came. It's still raining as I type this. If only these poor sods in St Andrews - with their heads down and umbrellas up - were friends with Monty on Facebook. They would have had a much better day I think. :lol:

Heres my pics from earlier. And to you Monty, I know people don't tell you this often, but I took your advice and it was sound. :lol:

Meall Cian Dearg with a distant Stob Ban.jpg

The steep prow of Meall Cian Dearg.jpg

It was pretty steep.jpg

Legend has it that you can see Schiehallion from Mars.jpg

Munro bagging sheep on Stob a'Choire Mheadoin.jpg

It was a family outing.jpg

Stob Coire Easain.jpg

Cruach Innse and Sgurr Innse.jpg

Stob Coire Easain pano.jpg

Stob Coire Easain totally clear of cloud now.jpg

The Grey Corries clearing off.jpg

Stob Coire Easain summit with Stob a'Choire Mheadoin.jpg

Stob Ban and the Grey Corries.jpg

Stob Coire Easain summit looking toward Glencoe.jpg

Glencoe in silhoutte.jpg

Stob Coire Easain and beyond.jpg

Stob a'Choire Mheadoin summit with approaching shower.jpg

The lone passing shower that skipped just past me.jpg
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Two Munros from Fersit - Monty's Power of Persuasion

Postby Del246 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:24 pm

Another good report and great pics. Good stuff. I'm hoping to sneak into double figures tomorrow depending on the weather !
Del246
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   Corbetts:15
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby gammy leg walker » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:40 pm

Stretch wrote:On Friday I couldn't for the life of me decide where I was going to be walking on Saturday morning. Gammy Leg Walker had messed up his knee and we had to scrap plans to try the South Glen Shiel Ridge

Thanks for rubbing this in mate, :lol: sorry I messed your weekend up,but at least you got out,so I dont feel so bad,looks like you had some fine weather,and another two closer to 150.Thats an early start you had,but it seams to have paid off with some cracking views.
I spent today putting new felt on my shed roof,cementing in a new whirrlie gig for Mrs GLW,and fitting a new baby gate at the bottom of my stairs so grandweans cant get up the stairs and risk falling back down,not what I had planed this weekend,but lots of brownie points in the bag. :lol: :lol:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby HighlandSC » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:08 pm

Gammy, that's about 3 weekends away worth of brownie points!

Good report Stretch. I seen Montys fine advice last night. Thankfully I wasn't awake to hear about your 4:30 start!

Hope we see you get to the NW to bag a few before the years out - 150th in Torridon?
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby monty » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:40 pm

Excellent report Stretch,
If the truth be told I was willing to accompany you on this fine walk today but late on Friday i got instructions for work in Paisley and Dundee today. I might do these tomorrw.

Lovely pictures on a fine walk. :D
monty

Postby Stretch » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Don't forget your gaitors Monty, it was bogtastic. Thanks again for the suggestion! :D

Del, wherever you chose for munro 10, hope you get a good day.

Gammy, we'd still be trying to dry off if we had of gone north to Glen Shiel, that ridge will be done before I head home for good don't worry.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8

Postby Jockstar » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:32 pm

Well done Stretch for getting up early and tackling these two...Monty is always right, of course !! :lol: shame the sheep beat you to the top of one. :lol: Thought the top photo was the silhouette of Glencoe. :D
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby rockhopper » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:42 pm

great WR and photos Stretch - enjoyed reading that one :thumbup:
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby LeithySuburbs » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:51 pm

Stretch wrote:Gammy, we'd still be trying to dry off if we had of gone north to Glen Shiel, that ridge will be done before I head home for good don't worry.

Sorry to break it to you but you would have had a pretty good day if you had made a reasonably early start :silent: . However, looks like you had a more than suitable substitute :D . Bring some of that with you in two weeks ;).
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland