walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

3 Cairngorm Munros and an overnighter

3 Cairngorm Munros and an overnighter

Postby gagfax » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:48 pm

Munros included on this walk: Cairn Toul, Sgòr an Lochain Uaine, The Devil's Point

Date walked: 05/06/2011

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had a weeks holiday, 9 whole days away from work and had decided that the tent must be released from the wardrobe where it is kept. The destination was the cairngorms from the linn of Dee as i had a few loose ends to tie up there. Last year my brother and i had walked to Corrour bothy via Carn a Mhaim, camped there with the intention of doing the three munros next to the bothy in the morning. Bad weather the next morning sunk those plans and we headed out.I was going to get the Devils point, Cairn Toul and Sgor an Lochain Uaine this time if it killed me. I took my camping gear but hadn't made up my mind if i'd use it or just walk out the same day.

I'd see how i felt after the Munros.

It's a great walk in but i couldn't help being envious of all the folk zooming by on bikes. Still i made Derry lodge in 50 mins where a good number of tents were pitched.

Me walking in.

The first bridge and a view to the walk ahead.

At grid ref NO 015938 You come to a wee fenced off bit where the trees etc have been allowed to regenerate and you must cross the Luibeg burn. I went for the stepping stones instead of the bridge which is a short walk away. Nae wet feet at all.

Trees

Where i crossed.

After the trees i passed around the Southern end of Carn a Mhaim and soon the devils point came into view. A spectacular looking mountain regardless of its higher neighbours.

DP

My target, Corrour bothy which i made in just under 2hrs 30 mins.

I set the tent up as there was no way i was carrying camping gear up the hills, it could be packed again if i walked out. Into the bothy and got the grub on. Lunch today was a Mug Shot, coffee and biscuits. Soon i was joined by 4 people who were training for the 4 peaks and were planning on doing 3 munros and then heading out. Next were 4 German speaking guys who were doing the 3 munros and staying in tents for the night.

Lunch

German guys by their tents.

My wee tent, a red laser competition. Hotel Terra Nova.

After the food i headed up for my first Munro of the day- Devils point. Ahead of me was the 4 peaks team and 3 guys on a day trip, behind were the Germans.

Initial climb

Looking back to Corrour

At the bealach i dropped my rucksack and continued with just a windshirt and camera. The summit is soon reached and the views were good.

4 peaks team

I descended and collected my pack. Met this wee fellow.

Next was the climb up to the 1213m top and i made the mistake of taking the route up the boulder field and not the easier track to the west. I was drained by the time i got to the cairn. The 4 peaks team were right behind me and decided to crack on as they were short of time.

Me by the cairn

Views to cairn Toul

Distant Sgor Gaoith

After a Mars bar i headed around and up the boulder field to The Cairn on Cairn Toul stopping only to chat with an English couple about the joys of boulders.

The way up

The cairn.

I had a wee stop in the Summit shelter and saw the 4 peaks team having a wee discussion, seems they were struggling for time and had decided to call it a day.

Nice views again

Ben Macdui summit zoomed.

Down another boulder field and on toward Sgor an Lochain Uaine. The high lochain is a wonderful sight, i wonder how tricky it would be to get to it?

Sgor an Lochain Uaine

Back to Cairn Toul.

I was on the summit in no time and again great views toward Braeriach and its tops

The Germans had just made it to the 1213m top and were a man down.

A happy chappy

I descended and traversed around Cairn Toul. Over the 1213m top and down the easier grassy path toward the bealach before the Devils Point.

Bealach

A short drop and i was at the bothy again. Dinner was 2 mug shots and more coffee and biscuits. I really must look into more interesting grub.

God i look fat, it's the way im slouching in the seat......honest :lol:

I was a bit tired and decided to stay the night.

The Germans arrived and i went into my tent. I must learn another language.

Tent life.

I find it hard to sleep even on a neo air as i have a bad back but i must have got a few hours in. My pipedream 400 bag was too warm and my poundshop inflatable pillow had a leak, oh the joys.

I woke up at around 5.30 and ventured out. There was a slight dusting of snow higher up, must have been cold.

Spotted the Devils reindeer.

I had some coffee in the bothy and decided to pack and walk out.

Ta ta!

A good overnighter and a place i'll be returning to at some point.

Hope this didn't bore you to tears, it's my first report for Walk Highlands.

Garry.
gagfax

Re: 3 Cairngorm Munros and an overnighter

Postby craighall » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:37 pm

I'm honoured that a 283er would respond to my musings, so thought I would reciprocate.

Nice report & photos, Garry.

Michael,

Edinburgh.
craighall
Mountaineer

Munros:10   
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4

Postby ndhudson » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:46 pm

Great report, Garry! Nicely done. :clap: Great pic of the Devils reindeer too!
ndhudson
Munro compleatist

Corbetts:1

Postby gagfax » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:00 pm

283er, nah not me only 97er 8)
gagfax

Postby pollyh33 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:38 pm

Top notch report GF!

Your photos are fabbie. A couple of things.... are all bothies as smart as the one you were in? and what on earth were you doing that caused that deer's eyes to light up!!!!! :shock: :shock:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby gagfax » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:46 pm

Not all bothies are that clean in fact some are real shite holes. Didn't do anything to the deer it really was possesed by evil highland devils woooooooo!!!!!!! :lol:
gagfax

Postby monty » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:47 pm

Excellent report Garry,
Some great photos, you bag a few munros, camp out and see some snow. Superb :D
monty

Postby Border Reiver » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:39 am

Great report & pics as usual. The Germans must have been the ones who followed us from Blair Atholl, there were 4 of them and the last we saw of them was near the Chest of Dee on the evening of 4th June.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby rockhopper » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:33 pm

Good report and very useful - hoping to get up here when on holiday late July - noted your comments about the 1213m top / boulder field / easier track to the west. :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby gagfax » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:40 pm

You'll love it up there. I think if you ever get tired of the Cairngorms then you're tired with life.
gagfax

Postby alfredo143 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:32 am

Good report and fantastic photos. :D :D Look forward to outher reports. :) :)
alfredo143
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:10   

Postby Greigers » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:42 pm

one day one day, but going by the photo`s def somthing to look forward too, awesome views, cant wait till i behold them in my very own eye :)
Greigers
Mountain Walker

Munros:7   
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:2   

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:11 pm

Good effort gagfax,suprised you got to the bothy before the germans,try beating them to the towels on the beach,just one thing,thought you may have put clean socks for your photie :lol: :lol:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby gagfax » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:14 pm

That wiz the clean yins :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol:
gagfax

Postby Fcfraser » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:33 am

Lying in bed, aching from every bone, due to adapting a strange walk due to blisters early on, having done Cairn Toul - Braeriach with my 1st Wild Camp at Wells of Dee. Loved reading your report & photos!
Glad I didn't see the Devil deer tho! We had plenty roaming round the tent .... None with eyes like that! :crazy:
Fcfraser
Munro compleatist

Munros:76   Corbetts:5

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland