walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sweet Sunset

Sweet Sunset

Postby Merry-walker » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:25 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Craigowl Hill

Date walked: 09/06/2011

Time taken: 4 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having kept my beady eye on the weather all week, the possibility of a cracking sunset hill was on the cards. I didn’t need to drag Ronnie up the hill (we’d climbed Ben Cleuch via The Law the week before and as he hadn’t died of exhaustion and he was still speaking to me (I’d kept saying “just a bit more....oops, sorry – that’s another false summit”... might do a report for it, I don’t know), the invite of climbing something softer was met with relief).

We met up in Tealing at 6.30pm, off the south bound A90 and headed off to the start point with Mez screcking in the back of the car. When parked, I grabbed the hound and back pack (Ronnie – his man-bag full of cameras and 20 different kinds of lenses) and we clambered over the gate with 10 padlocks (yes – 10).

After a short way by a cattle grid, we were met with about a million cows on the lower part of the hill on the pathway. As we got nearer to the cattle grid, some frisky looking youngsters hopped towards us mooing and kicking their hind legs out as if doing some kind of strange Gymnastic Hong Kong Phooey Cow Dance. So, not wanting to be splattered and made into cow food, we decided to head on up the hill to the right along the fence line. We would go the long way to Craigowl Hill.... which meant of course breaking promises of an easy walk.

Reached the top a bit on the sweaty side and after heading over to the summit, it was around 8pm.

Stopped at the summit for about an hour and took some snaps. (And someone stole my jam piece...not Mez)

Some of Dundee from Craigowl Hill

That's a Big Mast...

Image [/url]

Trying to be Arty

The sun was slowly setting.

Mast, Man and Trig

Craigowl Masts

Slinky Dog

Sun Hiding

The sunset was sweet and we could see for miles. After a bit, we left and headed on down the hill.

Mez Waiting

The cows we had seen earlier were still there near the start of the walk so we retraced our steps. With Mez on her lead, we crept past the cows (some way off on the left but near enough to see they were keeping their peepers on us and the young Kung Phooey cows on our right safely unable to cross the grid unless they suddenly grew wings or leapt for it). Mez had a whale of a time rolling in cow pats and grabbing at a gobfulls of poo when I looked the other way. Her new nickname now, is faecy face farty nickers...

After climbing over the final gate then having a last look back whilst congratulating ourselves over not having being eaten alive by the kick boxing bovines, a humungous white beast of a bull came sauntering right out from where we had just walked to escape the rest of his clan. Gasping “Where did that thing come from....?” the beast waddled it’s huge kachy bulk across the path towards those poor females.

So glad I’m a human...
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Re: Sweet Sunset

Postby pollyh33 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:59 pm

Gorgeous photos honey. But what did you with Mez before you got her home? Put her through a carwash?? :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby ChrisW » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:45 pm

Some lovely shots there MW - mast, man & trig and slinky dog are both belters :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Graeme D » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:39 pm

Good stuff MW. Craigowl will always be a special hill to me. Great to see a different angle on it. Thanks! :thumbup:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby baggervance » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:27 am

The Mast Man and Trig - sounds like a super hero and his horse :lol: :lol:

Nice report
baggervance
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:59
Fionas:5   Donalds:7

Postby Merry-walker » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:57 am

:lol:

Cheers guys and gals.

Polly, I was tempted to stick Mez on the roof to air blast her dry :lol:
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland