walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn a Bheithir

Beinn a Bheithir

Postby jonny616 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:42 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Bheithir via Schoolhouse Ridge

Munros included on this walk: Sgòrr Dhearg (Beinn a' Bheithir), Sgòrr Dhònuill (Beinn a' Bheithir)

Date walked: 04/06/2011

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 15.5 km

Ascent: 1350m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I have had this walk in my mind for a long time, so I was up & away from Glasgow at 6am with my friend Harry & his 10 month old golden retriever, Millie, for her first taste of high mountains, with a great deal of excitement. Weather forecast looking good, clear tops, little rain & not as hot as Friday! :D

Arrived at the tourist information car park, following a good run with every Munro on the way up wearing a cloud hat. :(
You get a good view of Sgorr Bhan from the car park & what a view it is rugged steep peak.
DSC01340a.JPG
Sgorr Bhan from the car park

We had opted for the WH route going up the very steep grass slopes of Beinn Bhan which is the north north east ridge to Sgorr Bhan rather than the scramble of the north east ridge as we were not sure if Millie was ready for scrambling.
DSC01343a.JPG
Ascent to Beinn Bhan

As you climb up the slops of Beinn Bhan, which is a bugger, the views open up & once you get onto its top at about 450 meters the views down Loch Leven & up Loch Linnhe, down Glencoe & the Bidean massif, to name but a few are stunning.
DSC01346a.JPG
Loch Leven & the Pape
DSC01347a.JPG
Up the steep grass slopes above Balachullish
DSC01348a.JPG

You need to spend a while taking in the views to let your legs recover from all the hard work to only be at 450 meters.
DSC_0129a.JPG
Looking down Glencoe

From this point the path to the summit of Sgorr Bhan is straight forward & once the summit is reached the ridge to Sgorr Dhearg looks as fantastic as all the pictures you have seen.
DSC01356a.JPG
Path to Sgorr Bhan
DSC_0133a.JPG
Deeper than she thought!
DSC_0141a.JPG
North East ridge of Sgorr Bhan
DSC_0145a.JPG
Loch Leven, The Pape & Glencoe
DSC_0154a.JPG
Summit Sgorr Bhan with Sgorr Dhearg behind
DSC_0158a.JPG
The ridge to Sgorr Dhearg
[

It’s a fairly easy pull to said first Munro & then again the view to Sgorr Dhonuill is equally impressive as is the view back along the ridge.
DSC_0165a.JPG
Looking back
DSC_0180a.JPG
Sgorr Dhonuill from Sgorr Dhearg

Down to the bealach is a quick jaunt & then the ascent is a bit harder work than the last, with the need to put hand to rock on a couple of occasions & the odd rather long drop beside you.
DSC_0188a.JPG
Last push to Dhonuill
DSC_0192a.JPG
Millie in a boulder field

From here the views out to sea are great & worth spending time taking in before the decent to the bealach & the long work out.
DSC_0193a.JPG
Two Sgorrs & a Pape
DSC_0198a.JPG
Three Sgorrs, one Pape & I
DSC_0202a.JPG
Looking out west
DSC01361a.JPG
Decent of Dhonuill

From the bealach as the notes say stick close to the right side of the fence posts all the way to the trees. The new path must be further on in construction than when the notes were written as whilst we did see the old path descending where the new path has a slight rise the new path is the more obvious of the too.
DSC01363a.JPG
Fence posts through the crags
DSC01364a.JPG

We arrived back at the car 9 hours after our start feeling weary, but elated. This in my opinion is a contender for one of the greatest walks in Scotland, but like others only if you get the right weather.

Whilst we were taking of boots etc Millie had a snooze.
DSC01367a.JPG
say no more!
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Re: Beinn a Bheithir

Postby atseacliff » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:40 pm

Nice! what a day...what a dog!
atseacliff

Munros:33   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:4   

Postby PeteR » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:52 pm

Nice report of a great hill and some great pictures too. That slog up onto sgorr bhan is a killer isn't it :shock: Still, gets the pain over with early and you enjoy the rest of the walk. My stepson is looking to come out with me soon and this is on the 'possible' list for him. Even so, I really must pay this hill a return visit soon :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Stretch » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:34 pm

Very nice Jonny! We all did this at the Glencoe meet-up in terrible conditions and barely saw anything. It is a fab looking pair of hills in nice weather.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby jonny616 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:38 am

atseacliff wrote:Nice! what a day...what a dog!

Thanks, great day. Millie did well & was full of beans the next day unlike the two of us!
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Postby jonny616 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:13 am

PeteR wrote:Nice report of a great hill and some great pictures too. That slog up onto sgorr bhan is a killer isn't it :shock: Still, gets the pain over with early and you enjoy the rest of the walk. My stepson is looking to come out with me soon and this is on the 'possible' list for him. Even so, I really must pay this hill a return visit soon :D

Thanks Peter

I will do this again two, probably with one or more of my kids, but there a bit young for that walk yet. Hope you get a good day for it when you do
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Postby jonny616 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:23 am

Stretch wrote:Very nice Jonny! We all did this at the Glencoe meet-up in terrible conditions and barely saw anything. It is a fab looking pair of hills in nice weather.

Hi Stretch. I saw the reports from that meet up. I think the word for your weather is 'pish'. I met a couple of the guys on Crisie the day after you did the walk.
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Postby Bod » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:19 pm

Great report of two fine mountains. We made it up there in April whilst up in Glencoe and I really enjoyed Beinn a'Bheithir, but I never got a post organised. Also, left my lab Ritchie at home as we were away for a few days, but like your dog, he would have loved it! Great pics...
Cheers the noo :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby Jock McJock » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:06 pm

Nice to see what I missed in October when up there. We didn't get the best weather for it. Still really enjoyed the walk though. I felt like your dog at the end though :lol:
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby jonny616 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:24 pm

Bod wrote:Great report of two fine mountains. We made it up there in April whilst up in Glencoe and I really enjoyed Beinn a'Bheithir, but I never got a post organised. Also, left my lab Ritchie at home as we were away for a few days, but like your dog, he would have loved it! Great pics...
Cheers the noo :D

Thanks Bod. I saw the report from Jockstar who you were with i think or did i get my wires crossed. Glad you enjoyed these hills.

Regards

Jonny
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Postby jonny616 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:26 pm

Jock McJock wrote:Nice to see what I missed in October when up there. We didn't get the best weather for it. Still really enjoyed the walk though. I felt like your dog at the end though :lol:

I felt like the dog too :lol:

Regards

Jonny
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Postby ChrisW » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:01 pm

What a great walk, loved the report and the pics, if I take it upon myself to drive a long way to a couple of hills it may well be these two - fantastic :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland