walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stob Dearg (Buachaille Etive Mor)

Stob Dearg (Buachaille Etive Mor)

Postby nathan79 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:03 pm

Munros included on this walk: Stob Dearg (Buachaille Etive Mòr)

Date walked: 14/06/2011

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 9.18 km

Ascent: 939m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A long weekend with some folk from work and the target, much to my delight was decided to be BEM.
Driving up on Thursday evening, this was the sight that had greeted me as i approached Glen Coe
DSCF3465.JPG
The gateway to heaven?

I must admit that i was suffering from a few too many whiskies and ales from the night before, and i wasn't alone.
The two main parking areas were chock-a-block so we parked up in a spot between the two. This meant for a boggy walk to join the main path but i was gaitered up.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Stretch- i found an antler at last! This one looked a good age and a spider had made it's home in it so i didn't stick it in my rucksack.
DSCF3521.JPG
Antler piece

I toiled on the way up here, and when it came to the scree slope, i cannot put into words how disenchanted i was. A welcome rest let me take in the views and wolf down some jelly babies.
DSCF3527.JPG
Scree slope

Up on the was clearly the destination for all those cars parked up below. Including a group of tourists with a rubber chicken they inisted on squeaking repeatedly. I almost considered throwing them off the edge in my less than joyous mood!

From the bealach.
DSCF3529.JPG
To Sgor Dearg

Good view of Ben Nevis from the summit. The first time i've been up that way and it hasn't been obscured by cloud.
DSCF3531.JPG
Ben Nevis

I must say i was a tad more cheerful having reeched the summit. A couple of folk popped up from the edge having done the Curved Ridge ascent. I bet it was a lot more fun than the scree!
DSCF3533.JPG
Stob Dearg summit

A raven perched near by and stared us down long enough for me to snap a few pics.
DSCF3537.JPG
Nevermore

Didn't pause for too long here, headed on back down to the bealach and towards Stob Coire Altruim. Unsure if that was going to get bagged today or not. When i caught up with my colleagues I was glad they were keen to just head down back to the cars. The other half of the big Buachaille can be done on it's own another day when i was alone and more enthusiastic.

BEB from the descent path
DSCF3539.JPG
Buachaille Etive Beag

Glad to get down to the gently undulating path along Lairig Gartain. This path would be a pleasant walk for a day resting the legs in between hill days.
DSCF3540 f.jpg
From down low

Not my favourite hill day, but everytime i drive up this way i can look at that imposing pyramid and say to myself "i've been up there".

Number 28 in the bag and if the weather held up on Sunday i was going to drag myself up Creise to bag the double there for my 30th hill.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Re: Stob Dearg (Buachaille Etive Mor)

Postby iainwatson » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:13 pm

excellent pics Nathan! especially the first one,very very nice! its defo a fair trudge up to the bealach on this one and the scree doesnt make it any easier,although as you say every time you drive by you can revel in the fact you've been up there :D
iainwatson
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   

Postby Stretch » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:01 pm

Shame about the poor state of that antler Nathan, I'll keep an eye out for them this fall once I get back from a warm sunny trip home. I'm fairly familiar with what too many whiskys will do to you before a walk :lol: , but well done for carrying on, you had some nice views!
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby ChrisW » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:52 pm

Great effort from a man in a 'delicate' condition - it must have been tempting to ram that rubber chicken where the sun don't shine :lol: you still got some great pics nathan and clocked up another munro - not a bad 'day after' day ..... I tend to lay around groaning on a day after :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Jockstar » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:54 pm

Well done mate in getting through the whisky fog :lol: It was great to get a sight of Ben Nevis as we had clag
when we climbed it in April :( .
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby nathan79 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:16 pm

I'd have been kicking myself if i'd wasted such decent weather so glad i got up there on reflection.
And i should've known better, i was also hungover the previous morning pottering about Glen Nevis and Steall Falls.

Loved the wire bridge though! (Even if i was apprehensive at first glance :lol: )

Steall 2.jpg
Bridge crossing
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Postby Gary1904 » Thu May 24, 2012 12:58 am

Enjoyed your pics, this mountain is on my list of fails ... I attempted this while there was snow and yes I wasn't eqipped so we headed back down after about 2000ft, go back up and do it one day.
Gary1904
Munro compleatist

Munros:9   Corbetts:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland