walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

USA - City of Rocks State Park - New Mexico

USA - City of Rocks State Park - New Mexico

Postby ChrisW » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:46 pm

Date walked: 18/02/2009

Time taken: 2.5

Distance: 7 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

New Mexico was a favourite haunt of mine so when I was seeking some 'dark night-sky viewing' I looked around to see what it could offer. Trawling the internet I came across this strange little place which suited my needs exactly so another road trip was hastily planned.

Approaching the park from a distance it is another beautiful day in the desert and the strange monoliths are visible way toward the horizon.

After a quick look in the visitor centre I picked up a map for the trails and set off for a wander

The rocks seemed strange, almost sculpted at times and afforded some beautiful views across the desert

The rocks were created by a volcanic eruption about 35 million years ago erosion over time has done the rest

This tree is probably only here because of protection from the rocks, otherwise it would probably have been cut off by wind blown sand long before it became a sapling

The rocks seem staged at times leaving windows through to the other side and unlikely looking balancing acts

It is a strange place............quiet and isolated, it draws you in as you walk

Shaped passes between the rocks provide perfect frames for photo's

Curved waves frozen in time provide shelter if required

Smaller spaces let you feel as if you have 'stolen' a view of something beyond

there are some interesting picnic areas.....if you dare use them....

Out into the desert now on a short trail to a higher point

around the perimeter there are no signs of other rocks, just desert grasses and the odd shrub

at the end of the trail a stone sign tells you all there is to know...so its back the way I came then.

Another of the more unusual places across the pond but a great place to visit, get there early, walk the park, pitch a tent and wait for the night sky. I assure you, if you haven't seen the night sky from the desert before you will be awestruck to see the milky way rise on the horizon and climb into the darkness casting a cloak of diamonds across the entire sky, that is a memory that will stay with me forever.
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: USA - City of Rocks State Park - New Mexico

Postby susanmyatt » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:47 am

Great pics, love the picnic table in the shade, thanks :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Postby ChrisW » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:01 am

susanmyatt wrote:Great pics, love the picnic table in the shade, thanks :D

Thanks susan, I couldn't decide if it was just an innocent picnic table or some kind of 'human trap' :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby susanmyatt » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:52 pm

You're watching too many U.S. crime series, what they could do with that scene in Criminal Minds :lol:
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Postby JTweedie » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:08 pm

Love the deep blue sky in these photos.
JTweedie

Munros:8   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Merry-walker » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:19 pm

Fabulous Chris!! :D
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby john923 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:52 pm

Great stuff - I do love desert landscapes.
john923

Munros:16   Corbetts:10
Fionas:6   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:237
Wainwrights:187   Islands:5

Postby Alastair S » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:54 pm

susanmyatt wrote:Great pics, love the picnic table in the shade, thanks :D

Sure it wasn't Wile E Coyote who put it there :lol:
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby ndhudson » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:22 pm

I love your photography, Chris! It's nice to know another person who sees the beauty in the desert lands. I know it's not for everyone. Man you do a good job of capturing it in all it's glory! My hats off to you!!! I have never been to this City of Rocks, but we will be heading to another City of Rocks (this one is in SW Idaho) this weekend. Hopefully we'll get a bit of a walk in and some decent pics...not as good as yours though. ;)
ndhudson
Munro compleatist

Corbetts:1

Postby ChrisW » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:02 pm

Thanks again ND - I have never seen such beauty as the deserts of the USA, I honestly felt like I had returned 'home' every time I visited, something there really suited me perfectly..........I miss it very much.

I never got to the city of rocks in Idaho, spent a couple of nights in Boise though and walked around Arrowrock Reservoir and Lucy Peak Recreational Area just east of the city. Years ago my friend told me there should be a sign 200 miles from the border of Idaho reading "eat drink and be merry for tomorrow you'll be in Idaho" - I have to say I disagreed with his suggestion, I found it to be a great place (but I did laugh at the sentiment as I crossed the border from Oregon)
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby ndhudson » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:00 am

ChrisW wrote:Years ago my friend told me there should be a sign 200 miles from the border of Idaho reading "eat drink and be merry for tomorrow you'll be in Idaho"

:lol: :lol: :lol: often said about Utah as well...it's the prerequisite disclaimer for any of the predominately Mormon states. ;) (non-drinkers, they are) I've never had any trouble being "merry" in either state!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
ndhudson
Munro compleatist

Corbetts:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland