walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Rinnes - My First Corbett!

Ben Rinnes - My First Corbett!

Postby jakeyboy » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:37 pm

Route description: Ben Rinnes ascent

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Rinnes

Date walked: 11/06/2011

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 7.5 km

Ascent: 541m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Even though as a youngster I'd stayed with a cousin near Ben Rinnes and my Granny and other members of my Mother's family lived in Aberlour, I was oblivious to the delight of climbing, or indeed, that one would even consider climbing Ben Rinnes. Now I was looking for something to climb near at hand, "The Ben" seemed the obvious choice. Plus, it was a Corbett, and although I have a few Munros under my belt, I've never bagged a Corbett. So the decision was made!

After a few annoying false starts, I was finally on my way. But it was by far plain sailing. My sat-nav had never heard of Ben Rinnes or Glen Rinnes and I spent a lot of time checking my maps for somewhere nearby that would help navigation. I eventually settled for Favillar, and off I set. Although I usually have complete faith in my sat-nav, I'm afraid I didn't feel comfortable at all with it on this occasion. Probably because this was pretty unfamiliar country for me, even though it is practically on my doorstep! Anyway, my fears were unfounded and my faith was restored when I saw a sign indicating "Ben Rinnes 1 ->". And although I still had a little trouble finding the car park at the path start, I knew that with the Ben looming over me like a behemoth, I couldn't be far from it. Perseverance prevailed and I was soon wending my way up the well-worn pathway leaving my car behind as the only one in the tiny car park. I hadn't gone far when another climber arrived to make it two cars!
DSCF0632.JPG
And off we go!

As usual, I had to stop regularly, and although the weather was dull, I had high hopes of some superb views. I found the first part of the path to be a little rough under foot, and a little tedious. But the widening views were promising enough to ensure I didn't get bored.
DSCF0641.JPG
Pity it's so dull

After Round Hill, the path levels off long enough to get over the strain and tedium of the first section before the steeper zig-zagging path to the rocky tors of the summit. I couldn't see the summit for low cloud for most of the climb, but a descending climber assured me that although, cloudy, the views were still impressive. Another climber, (well a runner actually) passed me on his way to the top and told me that he had run all the way from Dufftown over the Conivals and that when he reached the summit, he was going to run all the way back! Fair play to him I thought. He was up and back before I had progressed much further. I wished him luck and watched him trot into the distance.
DSCF0656.JPG
The lonliness of the Long-distance runner!

As the tors of the summit came into view I was glad I had persevered. I had been a little discouraged by the delays to my trip and the frustrations had given me thoughts of giving up earlier. As usual I got over that and before I knew it, I was within reach of the top. I had relished the tremendous views on the way, despite the dull weather and the cloudy outlook. And my anticipation of the summit views was not to be misplaced. As I scrambled about from tor to tor, snapping away like a man possessed, I realised I had just completed the ascent of my first Corbett!
DSCF0703.JPG
A view from the summit.

There were no disappointments here, apart from the dull weather, (June in Scotland eh?!) and a now quite chilly wind. The views were terrific, and although you couldn't really make out any landmarks or see the East coast. The scenery in all directions could not have disappointed. Naturally, a clear day would have been preferable, but all in all I thought the vistas were immaculate.

I had planned to have my lunch on the summit, and although the tors provided plenty of shelter from the cold wind, I could smell rain on that wind. I decided to make my descent and have lunch in the car. I bid a fond farewell to the summit of my first Corbett and headed down the crooked path.
DSCF0706.JPG
The long path back to the start.

I met quite a few fellow climbers on my way down, and my fears were realised as the rain started as I greeted the first of them. It is testament to the spirit of we climbers that those I met, stayed determined to proceed in the hope that there would only be an odd shower to contend with. I wished them all good luck and went on my way.

As ever, I'm so glad I climbed Ben Rinnes, and feel it apt that it should be my first Corbett. I was quite satisfied with a 2-hour ascent and 1-hour descent. For me, that was pretty good going really, and the pure distance in all directions that can be seen from the top are just one reason to climb it. I recommend it to anyone, but personally I hope it's just the first of many more Corbetts that I'll climb in future. As they say.....watch this space. :D
jakeyboy
Hill Bagger

Munros:11   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   

Re: Ben Rinnes - My First Corbett!

Postby rockhopper » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:58 pm

nice report - now you're started on the corbetts as well, that'll be you into multiple list walks soon - makes it even more interesting :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby monty » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:43 am

Your now into multiple lists Jakeyboy,
Good effort. That sounded quite tough with the conditions but you persevered. Nice one. :D
monty

Postby jakeyboy » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:16 pm

Cheers for the comments guys!! I know, and multiple lists it is indeed, since as of this very morning I've also completed Stac Pollaidh!! My first Graham!! Report will surely follow :lol:
jakeyboy
Hill Bagger

Postby The-Big-Grey-Man » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:20 pm

Hey, great report I did this on Thursday, the views are quite spetacular, did you notice the message someone had written on the summit trig point, i couldn't make head nor tail of it.
The-Big-Grey-Man
Munro compleatist

Postby jakeyboy » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:32 pm

The-Big-Grey-Man wrote:Hey, great report I did this on Thursday, the views are quite spetacular, did you notice the message someone had written on the summit trig point, i couldn't make head nor tail of it.

Aye, I did see the message, something about a fairy hill. :?

Here's the answer -> http://www.northern-scot.co.uk/Letters/Selfish-act-robs-village-of-priceless-heritage-05052011.htm
jakeyboy
Hill Bagger

Postby The-Big-Grey-Man » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:55 pm

jakeyboy wrote:
The-Big-Grey-Man wrote:Hey, great report I did this on Thursday, the views are quite spetacular, did you notice the message someone had written on the summit trig point, i couldn't make head nor tail of it.

Here's the answer -> http://www.northern-scot.co.uk/Letters/Selfish-act-robs-village-of-priceless-heritage-05052011.htm

It still doesn't make a huge amount of sense, as i saw no fence that barred the way, except one with a sliding metal gate, that you move to each side as you go past. But they do seem to be doin a lot to try and combat the erosion, which looks quite bad in places.
The-Big-Grey-Man
Munro compleatist

Postby jakeyboy » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:05 pm

The-Big-Grey-Man wrote:
jakeyboy wrote:

It still doesn't make a huge amount of sense, as i saw no fence that barred the way, except one with a sliding metal gate, that you move to each side as you go past. But they do seem to be doin a lot to try and combat the erosion, which looks quite bad in places.

The reference isn't anything to do with Ben Rinnes, but a small hillock behind the Aberlour distillery nearby. Someone has obviously tried to make their annoyance known by placing the message on the trig point where many folk will see it.
jakeyboy
Hill Bagger

Postby kevsbald » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:25 pm

And it winna be yer last, 'at's for sure.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby jakeyboy » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:30 pm

kevsbald wrote:And it winna be yer last, 'at's for sure.

Aye, planning ma next as we speak! Any suggestions kev? :wave:
jakeyboy
Hill Bagger

Postby kevsbald » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:11 pm

Well, seein as yer fae Nairnshire, Meall a Bhuachaille nr Coylumbridge and/or the Buck i' the Cabrach are a good place.

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9373 - this will show you my route - fit aboot Tap o Noth or Little Wyvis?
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby Graeme D » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:22 pm

Good stuff jakeyboy. Good to see a man wi' the bit between his teeth! You'll be bagging Sub2K Marilyns before too much longer! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland