walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bla Bheinn - My first Skye munro

Bla Bheinn - My first Skye munro

Postby hags n crags » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:46 pm

Route description: Blà Bheinn (Blaven)

Munros included on this walk: Blà Bheinn

Date walked: 11/06/2011

Time taken: 7 hours

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

There has been quite a few “firsts” reported recently and a few of Skye too, so here is my offering – a first Skye munro.
Our original plan had been to do the Inn Pinn but as first one guide and then a second pulled out; we decided to head over and do Bla Bheinn instead.
We stayed at the Sligachan hotel on the Friday night and kept our fingers crossed that the good weather would hold. Saturday dawned bright and sunny and after a gargantuan breakfast we set off with our expensive but meagre packed lunch from the hotel. One round of sandwiches, a chocolate biscuit and a packet of crisps wasn’t going to keep us going for long. To add insult to injury the vegetarian packed lunch contained ham crisps!
As Munrotop had climbed Bla Bheinn before by the usual route we opted to climb via the south ridge. It meant a long walk in but as the weather was perfect we knew we would get stunning views of the Cuillin ridge most of the way.
The path from the small car park at Kilmarie was excellent and it wasn’t long before Bla Bheinn came into view.
1. Start of the track from Kilmarie.JPG

2. First view of Bla Bheinn.JPG

At Am Mam the path became a bit boggier and while Munrotop stopped to don his gaiters, I took some photos of the ridge.
3. North Cuillin ridge from Am Mam.JPG

3.5 Inn Pinn.JPG

Just before Camusunary a smaller path branches off towards the North. After easily crossing the Abhainn nan Leac, we headed up a steep grassy slope towards the south ridge where we came across a little adder sunbathing on the path.
5. little adder on the path.JPG

I really enjoyed the next section which was very rocky and even gave a little bit of easy scrambling. There are lots of paths heading in all directions so scrambling could be avoided if necessary.
6. munrotop gains the ridge.JPG

7. Path up to South Top.JPG

9. North Top comes into view.JPG

Once we had gained the south top, I was a little daunted to see how far away the true summit appeared and how far the drop between the tops seemed. However an awkward scramble down a steep stone gully soon got us back onto the path again. We didn’t see the easier path just above the gully until we returned!
10. Gully between South and North Top.JPG

On reaching the top at around 2.15pm we noticed that the clouds were beginning to roll in over the Cuillin and the Inn Pinn was shrouded in a dark haze. I still felt a little sad that I hadn’t been able to experience it on this occasion. Lunch was hastily consumed and after the obligatory summit snaps, we retraced our route off the summit.
11. Hags n crags at the summit.JPG

12. Marsco.JPG

13 weather closing in on the Cuillin ridge.JPG

Instead of returning all the way down the ridge we headed SE down what turned out to be a nasty scree slope (avoid this if you can) towards Slat Bheinn, then headed south to pick up the Kilmarie path. The last bit before reaching the path was a bit of a bog trot over my least favourite terrain of tussocky grass.
14.Slat Bheinn.JPG

After a quick visit to the chippy in Broadford, we were off to the Glenbrittle youth hostel for the night. We awoke on Sunday to another glorious day and drove down to the campsite to feast our eyes on the ridge before setting off reluctantly for home, promising that we would be back as soon as possible
hags n crags
Munro compleatist

Munros:207   Corbetts:20
Fionas:8   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:2

Re: Bla Bheinn - My first Skye munro

Postby sjb101 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:56 pm

Nice report with good pics,hopefully ill get this walk in myself this year.that last picture is amazing 8)
sjb101

Munros:117   

Postby Bod » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:17 pm

Yes, very nice report. Great angle on Sgurr Mhic Choinnich and Sgurr Dearg....like the adder shot too :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:19 pm

Brings back memories of when I first climbed Bla Bheinn (so long ago I had plenty of hair). I'm pretty sure I came down that gully and not on the path too - couldn't fathom it when back to the main summit more recently. Some stunning photos there - especially the 2nd to last 8)
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby colgregg » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:25 pm

Nice report and great pics. I only saw fog when I went. By strange coincidence I met up with a dutch guy along the path that I'd walked down from Banachdich with two years previously so ended up walking it with him.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Postby sjb101 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:25 pm

Paul Webster wrote:Some stunning photos there - especially the 2nd to last
Thats what i meant to say :oops:
sjb101

Munros:117   

Postby hags n crags » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:05 pm

Thanks for all your comments :D
hags n crags
Munro compleatist

Postby smirnie71 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:09 pm

Great report, stunning pictures and definitely whetted my appetite to walk this mountain - and wild camp as well! :D :D :D :D
smirnie71
Munro compleatist

Munros:12   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:24
Islands:14

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:03 pm

This was also my first Skye munro & still one of my favorite,nwver got any views from the top,so thanks for posting
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby L-Hiking » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:55 pm

I must agree a great second to last picture. Thanks for the report, ive just put it on my agenda for my first Skye Munro in Sepember. Hopefully the old legs will hold up!! As my wife and I are supposed to be resting on Skye after completing the West Highland Way. Are there any nice shops there for my Mrs? :lol:
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Postby pollyh33 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:03 pm

Thanks H/C for such a detailed report. I really appreciate all the helpful advice that you have taken time to include. So glad you had a great time. I bet that chippy tasted fabbie :D
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby hags n crags » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:40 pm

pollyh33 wrote:Thanks H/C for such a detailed report. I really appreciate all the helpful advice that you have taken time to include. So glad you had a great time. I bet that chippy tasted fabbie :D

You bet!
hags n crags
Munro compleatist

Postby hags n crags » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:42 pm

Luvhiking wrote:I must agree a great second to last picture. Thanks for the report, ive just put it on my agenda for my first Skye Munro in Sepember. Hopefully the old legs will hold up!! As my wife and I are supposed to be resting on Skye after completing the West Highland Way. Are there any nice shops there for my Mrs? :lol:

Let me think........umm....no :(
hags n crags
Munro compleatist

Postby Gibson Jones » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:54 pm

Liked your description of your first Skye Munro and you have some great photos. Hope to climb my first Skye Munro in 2012 and will use your report as a good reference.
Gibson Jones
Mountaineer

Munros:2   
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby foggieclimber » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:47 pm

Nice report, thanks.
I did this one in cloud so a re-visit is definitely needed.
I also went down wee chimney.
foggieclimber

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland