walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mount Keen

Mount Keen

Postby Hillfold » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:54 pm

Munros included on this walk: Mount Keen

Date walked: 18/06/2011

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 17.56 km

Ascent: 939m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hi there,

Just to let you know that Mount Keen was added to our Munros on Saturday 18/06/2011.
Sorry no pictures were taken, I would have needed an underwater camera.
Unfortunately we were unable to pick our day for this trip, it had to be done on the 18th.
The weather report stated that it would rain all day...it certainly did.
It rained from the time we left Kemnay until we arrived back home.
The walk up to the Queen`s Well was nice and flat and easy, but past the cottage things changed.
It was a gruelling trek up the path in the rain.
At the cairn near the fork to Mounth Road visibility was really poor, nearer the summit it became quite blustery as well, we had to continually look back to see if we could see where we came up the path, if the visibility had got any worse we would have had to abandon the ascent.
However we made it in 6 hours which to our reckoning wasn`t too bad?
This was our first climb in continual wetness and it was a learning curve (must remember to put spare socks and small towel in a plastic bag).
Although we had waterproof equipment some wetness was observed mainly on our extremities (elbows, knees etc) is this normal, pehaps we expected too much of our equipment?
We did really enjoy the walk and climb in the end, was very quiet, only seen one other person on our travels.
Will do it again though, but will pick the day more carefully weatherwise.
Last edited by Hillfold on Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hillfold
Munro compleatist

Munros:3   

Re: Mount Keen

Postby Merry-walker » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:26 am

Well done for doing it in naff weather. It's a lovely walk in a smashing area. One well worth doing again :)

One of my most fave hills.
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby ramblingsteve » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:22 am

That's a shame about the weather. What gear were you wearing? I usually get back soaked from the inside out, due to perspiration :lol: Proper wicking layers keep me comfortable though. I find eVent waterproofs work for me, boots and Jacket.
ramblingsteve
Mountain Walker

Munros:58   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Hillfold » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:29 pm

Merry-walker wrote:Well done for doing it in naff weather. It's a lovely walk in a smashing area. One well worth doing again :)

One of my most fave hills.

Thanks for that, what we did see through the rain will make us go back and do it again.
Some of the pictures taken by other walkers show really great views.
Hillfold
Munro compleatist

Postby pollyh33 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:38 pm

Thanks for posting. I have still to climb this one, so I'll definitely try to do it on a decent day :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Hillfold » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:18 pm

ramblingsteve wrote:That's a shame about the weather. What gear were you wearing? I usually get back soaked from the inside out, due to perspiration :lol: Proper wicking layers keep me comfortable though. I find eVent waterproofs work for me, boots and Jacket.

Jacket: Alpine Lowe, Gore.tex jacket (performance shell)
Trousers: waterproof,breathable overtrousers bought off the net.
Boots: Waterproof Regattas (great outdoors).
Jacket was fairly expensive, rest of the gear probably not the best, I decided not to invest too heavily apart from the jacket just in case the hill walking bug didn`t take off.
Like I said in my report, the gear probably did what it was supposed to do, maybe I expected too much.
Don`t get me wrong, never at any stage did I feel too uncomfortable, but, I reckon spending more would get me more?
Thanks for your interest.
Hillfold
Munro compleatist

Postby tony.cee » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:12 pm

excuse the horendous pun, but im dead keen on doing this one soon. jeez, tumbleweed just rolled through my house.haha
Where did you park up and head out from? i just had a quick look on the map and noticed sheilin of mark, i remember a night at the bothy there drinking whiskey with hardened stunt drinkers..i will never drink whiskey again.
tony.cee
Mountain Walker

Munros:99   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   

Postby Hillfold » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:29 pm

tony24 wrote:excuse the horendous pun, but im dead keen on doing this one soon. jeez, tumbleweed just rolled through my house.haha
Where did you park up and head out from? i just had a quick look on the map and noticed sheilin of mark, i remember a night at the bothy there drinking whiskey with hardened stunt drinkers..i will never drink whiskey again.

Parked as instructed at the car park at Invermark, really as far as you can go up the glen, then followed the rest of the instructions from walkhighlands, had no problems following route as described.
Hillfold
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland