walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Schiehallion - give it a break

Schiehallion - give it a break

Postby old danensian » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:20 am

Route description: Schiehallion

Munros included on this walk: Schiehallion

Date walked: 01/08/2009

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Saturday 1 August

Now I'll admit I was sceptical about this one. It had suffered from some mixed reviews - uninteresting; no enjoyment; only there and back.

No, it's not spectacular. It's not got towering crags or scary precipitous ridges. But, hey, what do you expect?

Schiehallion-01.jpg
Schiehallion from across Loch Kindarochy

It's a hill - on it's own - a simple but comfortingly satisfying shape - it's a Ronseal type of hill. To plagiarise John Cleese - what do you want from it - the Hanging Gardens of Breadalbane or wandering packs of wolves and beaver?

But it's got position - location, location, location - views, panoramas and the realisation of little of Scotland some of us English really know

Schiehallion-03.jpg
Loch Tummel

On a late Saturday morning I had choices - revisit battle sites at Killiecrankie - retail therapy at House of Bruar - blow the cobwebs away up a hill. A no brainer.

Park at the Braes
Push on up the crafted path
Piroutte across the stones and boulders of the ridge
Scamble along the final top
Spend a little time at one end or the other and few feet below growing crowd
Meander back down - three hours out - and much enjoyed

Schiehallion-02.jpg
Loch Rannoch from summit

I'll probably spend more time playing with the piccies on Photoshop and putting together the panoramas - but it wasn't a waste of time.

Schiehallion-04.jpg
Worsening weather over Schiehallion from Loch Tummel
old danensian

Munros:282   Corbetts:101
Donalds:9
Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:151   

Re: Schiehallion - give it a break

Postby kevsbald » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:33 pm

I'd agree with you. The history of the hill itself and it's connotation with physics experiments in estbalishing the atomic mass of the earth are of interest. The path's fab and the hop skip and jump across the boulders is good fun - the views across to the Glen Lyon 4 are excellent (on a good day) and it's one of the last places we'll all be able to stay dry according to 'But and Ben a-go-go'.

And that Gaelic translation - wow!
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby Paul Webster » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:23 pm

Good report. I would add to Schiehallion's positive qualities, it can be climbed pretty quickly and is near enough to the A9 that we could drive back to England after doing it quite a few years ago when we were still based on the 'Plains of Albion' 8)
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Graeme D » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:12 pm

Quite right!

My first Munro. Will always have a special place because of that and the time and circumstances surrounding our ascent.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby MacCookie » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:33 pm

Great views if you get a clear day!
MacCookie
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   

Postby mountain coward » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:04 pm

I decided the hill had a 'wheelchair path' - not as you might think the made path up it... the boulder hopping along the ridge when it's wet and greasy - likely to put you in a wheelchair if you don't tread carefully! Nice hill though...
mountain coward

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland