walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Tarmachan Ridge

Tarmachan Ridge

Postby Frogwell » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:12 am

Route description: The Tarmachan Ridge

Munros included on this walk: Meall nan Tarmachan

Date walked: 20/06/2011

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 12 km

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had been planning to go up North on Sunday and Monday and do an overnighter on Ben Hope or Ben Loyal, but the weather forecast said there was going to be very little wind and quite a bit of mugginess. My inner wimp said that I would sweat half my body weight off and the rest would be eaten by midges. My outer wimp agreed. A new plan - some motorbiking on Friday and some walking on Monday. I went hill spotting on Ardnamurchan on Friday and even did part of the Silver walk circuit by Castle Tioram. Looks like a great little walk, but probably one to do while not dressed in waterproofs and armour in 20 degree weather.

Friday started overcast with a 4000 foot cloud base and the forecast didn't seem overly ominous so I figured I'd go and do a quick spin on the Tarmachan Ridge. I'd been up Meall nan Tarmachan maybe around 22 or 23 years ago when I lived along the loch side, but quite liked the look of the ridge when I flew past in January so made a mental note do doodle along it sometime soon. I arrived at the start point a little after 11:00 and was ambling along 20 minutes later. There were a dozen cars already there, although I saw very few people throughout the day and even then they were mainly silhouettes in the distance.

Not really a whole lot to say about the walk that's not been said before really. It's a great walk, quite straightforward for the most part, with great views. I was going to drop down to the quarry after Beinn nan Eachnan but the path along to Creag na Caillich looked far too inviting for that and I had plenty of time. I didn't know whether there'd be a route down beyond that, or whether I'd have to retrace my steps and head down to the quarry that way but I figured I'd work that out when I got there. Worst case I figured I'd walk down into Glen Lochay and get my mother, who lives there, to give me a run back up to my car. In the end I did retrace my steps a little bit, but only by a few hundred feet and then just zigzagged down and along the boggy bit with no drama. Looking back from the path I could see I could easily have gone round the back and South of Creag na Caillich and joined up with the lower hydro road, but that was hard to see from the top.

It took just over 5 hours in total, all quite leisurely too.

Ben Lawers and Lochan na Lairige from Meall nan Tarmachan

The Tarmachan Ridge

My interest being peaked as I flew past in January. Anyone from here walking the ridge on the 20th January this year? if so, you might be able to see yourself :)
Attachments

tarmachan_ridge.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Frogwell
Hill Bagger

Munros:265   Corbetts:100
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Tarmachan Ridge

Postby pollyh33 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:31 am

Sounds like a great day out. Your photos are amazing- truly perfect :D

The only thing is...what did you mean when you said you had flown past these hills???? :?
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Frogwell » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:50 am

pollyh33 wrote:Sounds like a great day out. Your photos are amazing- truly perfect :D

The only thing is...what did you mean when you said you had flown past these hills???? :?

Flown past? Think of a mechanical bird in which a person can sit - we call them aeroplanes, or more specifically in my case, microlight. Surely you have heard tell of such technology in Rutherglen? :lol:

Sorry :D
Frogwell
Hill Bagger

Postby pollyh33 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:10 am

Frogwell wrote:
pollyh33 wrote:Sounds like a great day out. Your photos are amazing- truly perfect :D

Flown past? Think of a mechanical bird in which a person can sit - we call them aeroplanes, or more specifically in my case, microlight. Surely you have heard tell of such technology in Rutherglen? :lol:

Sorry :D

What a letdown! There I was thinking you were Superman :( :(
pollyh33
Walker

Postby Frogwell » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:31 am

pollyh33 wrote:What a letdown! There I was thinking you were Superman :( :(

Superman on Thursday mornings by appointment only :)
Frogwell
Hill Bagger

Postby pollyh33 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:52 am

I was in Comrie last Wednesday climbing Ben Chonzie. The best bit was a giant scone, really giant scone! that I had in a logcabin typey tearoom opposite a caravan park. It was so huge that I couldn't finish it! The lady gave me the rest to take away with me!!! :lol:

Pity I didn't stay overnight and then I could have seen your underpants!!! :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Postby Frogwell » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:25 pm

As someone who lives in Gled Lednock at the bottom of Ben Chonzie I can confirm that, for the most part, scones are indeed more interesting.
Frogwell
Hill Bagger

Postby Graeme D » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:27 pm

I think I need to go and sit down and have another beer and then come back and read this report again and see if I imagined all that stuff about giant scones, superman and mechanical birds with seats in them! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Malckyb » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:05 pm

Great pics...this walk is still my fave so far!! :)
Malckyb
Munro compleatist

Munros:87   Corbetts:6
Fionas:6   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:19   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland