walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An evening walk up Mount Keen

An evening walk up Mount Keen

Postby clivew » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:21 pm

Munros included on this walk: Mount Keen

Date walked: 22/06/2011

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 17.5 km

Ascent: 810m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Did this walk on my own on the way down from a meeting in Aberdeen; had been thinking about it for a few days so decided to take my walking gear in the car and see what the weather was going to be like. Left Aberdeen at about 3.00pm and headed south, the weather wasn't that good and it was still raining a bit in Aberdeen. I thought I would drive on down to the turning off the A90 onto the B966 towards Fettercairn and see what the weather was like there. The clouds appeared to be breaking up a bit to the west so I thought I would take a chance on it. It seemed to take ages to get from the A90 through to Fettercairn and on up the Glen to Invermark, bloody rabbits everywhere and couldn't avoid driving over one poor little bunny. By the time I had parked the car and got out of my suit into some more appropriate clothes it was 4.15 and looking a bit black over the tops. Mine was the only car in the car park so didn't expect to see anyone on the way up.
I was hoping to make good time on this walk as I still had over a hundred miles to drive home, the track up towards the Queens Well was good and very easy to follow; had a quick look at the well and stopped to put my waterproofs on as by now it was raining.
By the time I had crossed the two burns just above Invermark Cottage it was pouring down but I was making good time and really enjoying being out on the hills on a work day; it was almost like having a crafty pint on a Friday lunchtime. Soon after I passed the zig zag on the path I was into the clouds and the rain became a lot heavier and visibility worse. The turning off the main path, which is marked by a large Cairn, was soon reached but don't be confused by a faint path leading off by a smaller Cairn a bit lower down. The path to the summit was a lot better than I thought, obviously a bit of work had been done on it recently and it had a good covering of grit making it easy under foot. Reached the Cairn and trig point in a little over 2 hours which was pleasing; didn't stop there long as it was pouring down by now. Jogged part of the way down where the path was good and by the time I had reached the zig zag on the path I was out of the cloud and the rain had stopped. Had a banana and a drink and then continued on down. All the rain had made the Easter Burn quite a torrent by now and I had great fun crossing on the stepping stones. Stopped just past the Queens Well and watched a herd of deer on the far side of the river; they were watching me as well but because I stayed still and crouched down they didn't run. Loads of rabbits on the path down towards the Castle and the highlight was a red squirrel on a tree just in front of me. Got back down to the car park at 7.45 peeled of the waterproofs and started the long drive home. Had loads of near misses with the rabbits on the road, bloody things kept running across the road in front of me I'm sure they had suicidal tendencies. Didn't get back into Edinburgh till gone 10.00 I was starving and knackered but as always really enjoyed the walk.
clivew
Mountain Walker

Munros:157   
Sub 2000:1   

Re: An evening walk up Mount Keen

Postby skuk007 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:41 am

Nice one Clive, getting a hill bagged on a work day. Sounds like you had a great walk despite the rain.
I shouldn't worry too much about hitting the crazy bunnies. Not nice to experience but there are millions more. :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby pollyh33 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:54 am

What a great report, really appreciate all the details because I haven't climbed this yet!

Oh but shame on you for killing a bunny!!! :shock:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2

Postby clivew » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:39 am

pollyh33 wrote:What a great report, really appreciate all the details because I haven't climbed this yet!

Oh but shame on you for killing a bunny!!! :shock:

I know I felt sorry for the poor little furry thing; if its any consolation the end came quick for him (or her). Enjoy Mount Keen when you get to climb it Polly, but watch out for the hoards of Kamikazi bunnies on the road.
Clive
clivew
Mountain Walker

Munros:157   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland