walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mid summer night -Meall Ghaordaidh, the dry route!

Mid summer night -Meall Ghaordaidh, the dry route!

Postby Renate » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:33 pm

Route description: Meall Ghaordaidh from Glen Lochay

Munros included on this walk: Meall Ghaordaidh

Date walked: 22/06/2011

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 9 km

Ascent: 800m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having read other reports about the boggy ridge to go up I was determined to find a drier route. And luckily I managed so thought I would share it.
I set off up the standard route at 6 pm (having spent the day in Edinburgh for work). I followed the track up the west side of the burn. I could see where the path veered off from the track to take the first ridge line. But I resisted and carried along the track until I reached a gate and fence post to the west. This was at height 375 m. The track took a slight dip just after this.

photo.JPG
the fenceline where I turned west

I stuck to the north side and veered slightly right to stay trend below a dip in the hill and stay on solid ground. I have tried to mark it on the map, but may not have got it accurate. But as long as you are happy to be off a path, the going was quite good avoiding the obvious bogs.

At the pateauy bit around 700 m, it was choosing a careful route around the major wet areas, but by going around the obvious parts it seemed OK as long as you stayed off the path. Then the slightly rockier bit to the summit. I reached the summit at 7.40, and fortunately there was still a view. Although nothing to see of my 'home' hill Ben Cruachan. (Going up Cruachan again this Sunday for the sponsored Oban Mountain Rescue walk and taking both my youngsters up).

Then down all the way. Very gentle on the knees this, and I ended up carrying my ski poles. I was tempted by the path going down, but once I hit the very boggy part I decided to veer north to my original route, which was very pleasant to go down as well.

I would recommend anyone who is walking from this direction to take the west ridge as a means of ascent (to Carn Chearg), and come down the route I've described. Unless you're in a hurry to get home like I was. Got down just before 9 pm, and of course home in daylight. Glad I'm still beating Naismith.
Attachments
photo summit ghaordaidh.JPG
summit looking west

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Renate
Munro compleatist

Re: Mid summer night -Meall Ghaordaidh, the dry route!

Postby Alastair S » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:33 pm

There's a coincidence - here's me atop Meall Ghaordaidh at 9pm last year:

The ascent from the other side is a lot more interesting. Got down a bit before 11pm but there was still no need for a torch. Full report over here.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Re: Mid summer night -Meall Ghaordaidh, the dry route!

Postby Renate » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:22 pm

Hi Alastair. I read your report before I went up. Definitely sounded like a more satisfying route. Unfortunately I didn't have time. You had better weather too!
Renate
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland