walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn a` Bheithhir

Beinn a` Bheithhir

Postby steven65 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:31 pm

Munros included on this walk: Sgòrr Dhearg (Beinn a' Bheithir), Sgòrr Dhònuill (Beinn a' Bheithir)

Date walked: 20/06/2011

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 1500m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We were on holiday at a lovely wee cottage at Ellenabeich on Seil Island relatively close to Ballachulish compared to home so i decided to do Beinn a ` Bheithir , as i`d previously saw walk report of it on the site & it looked very exciting !
Also we`d stayed at The Lodge on the Loch hotel last year & the views across from our room to these hills was trully awesome. I was up very early at 4am & parked in the parking area at Gleann a Chaolais it`s clearly marked from the main road - i was coming up the A828 from Oban. Once parked easy forrest paths/trails are clealr marked & lead you onto the 2 hills.
The path splits - left for Sgorr Dhearg & right for Sgorr Dhonuill NB the R/H path for Sgorr Dhonuill has an " advisory " sign saying access is not currently allowed due to forrest works ( felling ) and thanks you for taking a different route , sign says it will be closed till July - start of or finish it didn`t say .
I had planned to do Sgorr Dhearg 1st anyway so i was fine. It was quite warm despite it being early although a wee bit overcast , the forecast was for a very much improving day , and it did improve greatly :-) I plodded on & cleared the trees on towards the bealach , the last few hundered meters were a wee bit wet & muddy ,but honestly not too bad at all .
at last the bealach
The clouds were lifting to offer fleeting glimpse of Sgorr Dhearg although Sgorr Dhonuill was still obscured.
At the bealach i turned & headed up to S Dhearg an easily marked route , i thoroughly enjoyed every foot of it.
Once on the summitt the clouds cleared FOR THE REST OF THE DAY to offer fabulous views especially to south & west , but less so to the east & north. Overall though the views were amazing !!!!!
Oskar on Sgorr Dhearg with Sgorr Dhonuill behind , the cloud would soon burn off in the hot sun !
I took a long break on S Dhearg soaking in the views , before moving down & onto S Dhonuill , at the bealach i briefly chatted with 2 guys from N. Ireland who were making their way up to S Dhearg.
I`d read how challanging Sgorr Dhonuills` final pull can be , but i managed it fine , as did Oskar who had no difficulties at all. It was exciting & the views - now in hot sunshine - only added to the climb .
Looking down the Firth of Lorne to Mull & Lismore
I had a shorter break at the top before decending fron S Dhonuill towards Coire Dearg , then towards the lochans heading for Coire na Capuill , Creag Ghorm & exiting via the forrest to the car park. This route looked fairly easy from the summit of S Dhonuill , BUT was in fact more difficult a lot of ups & downs - quite a tirring route out !!
Oskar on Sgorr Dhonuill summitt with Loch Linnhe behind
Looking over to Corran Ferry
I did in fact go down Coire na Capuill , a wee bit shorter than i had hoped, however the 2 guys behind me were still continuing down on that route . Once into the trees it was only a very short distance to the track / road out . There was no work actually going on the forrest plant was all around , but the workers had presumably finished for the day or went to the pub !!
This is a fabulous climb / walk a trully wonderfull day out with amazing views in the right conditions.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by steven65 on Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steven65
Mountain Walker

Munros:262   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Beinn a` Bheithhir

Postby pollyh33 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:51 pm

Great report Steven. Sounds like a wonderful day out. Can't wait to see your photos :D :D
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Beinn a` Bheithhir

Postby Holly » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:41 pm

Ah those signs!!!! Ive been up there a few times now but the last time I got myself a bit confused with where I was supposed to go with the blooming signs!!! I went the wrong way before getting it right eventually! Glad you got the gist!!! That pair of hills have absolutely stunning views if you are lucky to get them on good days as I have and worth going back too, as I have. Thanks for reminding me of them!
Holly
Munro compleatist

Munros:240   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:2   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland