walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn a'Chochuill and Beinn Eunaich

Beinn a'Chochuill and Beinn Eunaich

Postby clivew » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:50 am

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chochuill, Beinn Eunaich

Date walked: 19/06/2011

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 13.5 km

Ascent: 1210m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Left home in Edinburgh at 7.30 for the 100 mile trip to Loch Awe, weather was awful low cloud and pouring with rain in Edinburgh but put my faith in the previous nights mountain forecast which promised reasonable weather for the Loch Awe area. Had the obligatory bacon roll and coffee at the van in the car park on the A85 above Glen Ogle needed something to get me ready for the walk. Reached the starting point near the pine trees off the B8077 just before 10 and I could see two other groups of walkers way up ahead of me on the track. The weather forecast was spot on as usual with high cloud and nothing to spoil the view. Enjoyed the slog up the track gave my legs the chance to get going before hitting the steep bits higher up. As soon as I turned off the track I caught up with one of the groups I had spotted from the car park, passed them and followed the second group up onto the ridge and west towards the summit of Beinn a'Chochuill. The view from the summit was superb particularly of the Cruachan Ridge opposite; that's one walk I have pencilled in my diary for another weekend, it looked a great ridge walk which I always enjoy. Sat and had some grub and a chat with the other group of walkers for about 20 minutes before heading off towards Beinn Eunaich. The route is very easy to follow and the only slightly difficult bit of the walk so far was the last hundred metres or so leading up to the summit where it was mainly loose stone. Didn't hang around long on the summit as I could see rain heading in my direction from the east. The path down the ridge from the summit of Beinn Eunaich was very easy walking and I made good time, the most difficult bit was the steep slope from the ridge back onto the track but once back onto the track its only a short walk back to the car. My luck held out and I was back at the car before 2.30 just ahead of the rain; another great day out and 2 Munros in the bag.
clivew
Mountain Walker

Munros:157   
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Beinn a'Chochuill and Beinn Eunaich

Postby Morag M » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:20 pm

I really enjoyed these two also, and the Cruchan ridge looks superb, also have plans for this in the near future, the last bit of descent to get back on the track is very steep right enough, when we done these two our path at the last gate was blocked by highland cattle and their babies :problem: , thought they were not going to move for us, the're very intimidating the way the look at you :lol:
Morag M
Mountain Walker

Munros:118   Corbetts:4
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   

Re: Beinn a'Chochuill and Beinn Eunaich

Postby clivew » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:57 pm

sarahkirsty wrote:I really enjoyed these two also, and the Cruchan ridge looks superb, also have plans for this in the near future, the last bit of descent to get back on the track is very steep right enough, when we done these two our path at the last gate was blocked by highland cattle and their babies :problem: , thought they were not going to move for us, the're very intimidating the way the look at you :lol:

Hi Sarah & Kirsty, thankfully there were only sheep at the gate when I came through, although I had the same issue with cattle when I was cycling back to the car after climbing Beinn Bhuidhe a few weeks ago, Highland cattle look pretty big close up don't they.
Clive
clivew
Mountain Walker

Munros:157   
Sub 2000:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland