walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Daughter 2 - Me 1

Daughter 2 - Me 1

Postby Oldman » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:38 am

Route description: Buachaille Etive Beag

Munros included on this walk: Stob Coire Raineach (Buachaille Etive Beag), Stob Dubh (Buachaille Etive Beag)

Date walked: 27/06/2011

Distance: 8 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Havn't had a walk since mid April and it's June already. My legs are getting older every day and a BIG birthday is looming - a birthday I've promised myself that I'll spend on a Munro - so I need to get a walk in quick. The 11th June presented us with great weather and an opportunity to introduce ourselves to Glen Coe and Bauchaille Etive Beag. We've never walked in Glen Coe before and, despite my ageing body, we're both relative novices to hill walking and so the Wee Boochle looks like a good test for the more mature body. We arrived at the car park at 8.30 and were on the hill by 8.40 in nice sunshine.
Starting off towards the targets.jpg
Height is gained very quickly - well for us maybe not so quickly - and the views are opening up.
Come on Siobhan, we've hardly started.jpg
After a lot of huffing and puffing, drinking gallons of water and stopping to admire the incredible views we eventually reached the bealach and the hard work was over - more or less. At this point the views are gob-smackingly brilliant.
1st Glen Coe 031.jpg
We decided to tackle Stob Dubh first and so it was up onto the ridge where the views got even better.
Stob Dubh just behind.JPG
Lairig Eilde.jpg
Ridge walk to Stob Bubh.jpg
Not far now Siobhan.jpg
The ridge walk is magical and we soon reached the cairn where the mandatory high fives were pictured. We went the few extra metres to take in the sight of Glen Etive in it's magnificence.
High Fives.jpg
Glen Etive.jpg
1st Glen Coe 081.jpg
We spent some considerable time at the summit and daughter produced a penny whistle from her ruck sack and played a tune which fitted the scene perfectly.[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2T9gmFGE8Y[/youtube]
It was with regret that we had to leave thr top however time was getting on. On the way down there were loads of pics to be taken.
1st Glen Coe 047.jpg
1st Glen Coe 124.jpg
Finally we reached the bealach and as we started up the second top it struck - the damned cramp - both thighs front and back and I was out of the game - blast and double blast. I knew it would take time to settle down so I sent daughter off on her own to bag Stob Coire Raineach which she duly did. During her absence my legs recovered and I took a few more pics.
Beinn Fhada.JPG
1st Glen Coe 082.jpg
Stitched_002.JPG
Stitched_006.JPG
Stitched_007.JPG
Soon daughter was on her way down.
Siobhan returning from Stob Coire Raineach.jpg
Then it was off home but not before seeing the old Search and Rescue Aircraft to add some more interest to the trip.
1st Glen Coe 142.jpg
The walk took us about 6 hours in total and my legs were sore for about 3 days but it was well worth it. Come my birthday later in the month I'll be ready to challenge nature again - roll on!!!

Good walking y'all

Oldman ( even older next week)
Last edited by Oldman on Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
Oldman
Bird-watcher

Re: Daughter 2 - Me 1

Postby MarilynMunro » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:50 am

Cheers Oldman(from one to another), some lovely pics there, Hopefully I'll be up there this week, keeping my legs crossed I don't get cramp :lol: . I did Schiehallion a few weeks ago and my calves were killing me for a few days, but I guess you have to pay something for those views. Good luck with the other walks.
PS Pesky youngsters, eh
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Munros:43   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Alastair S » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:56 am

Nice report - looks like you had a great day. Some great views & photos there. Shame about the cramp - I've been lucky so far in that regards but no doubt it will catch up with me some time :lol: :(
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby lomondwalkers » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:43 am

Great stuff. We were on its big brother last week, again, the views were stunning. Glencoe really is a beautiful place to walk. I hope the legs hold out for the birthday walk
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby sjb101 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:38 pm

Nice report and pictures,i met you on my way down that day,we spoke as i was heading for the carpark.good to see the weather held up for you aswell.
sjb101

Munros:117   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland