walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Hole of Horcum.

Hole of Horcum.

Postby L-Hiking » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:08 pm

Date walked: 26/06/2011

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

VThe Hole of Horcum is situated on the North Yorkshire Moors midway between Pickering and Whitby on the A169. There is a car park at the start of the walk GR 852937 where quite often there is a Moors Ranger Mobile Information Centre. There is a small charge for the car park, however the signs informing you of the need to pay are not obvious, so make sure that you make the payment before leaving the car! legend has it that the great bowl which can be seen from here was scooped out by a giant by the name of Wade and the pile was thrown at his wife and formed the conical hill called Blakey Topping which is close by. Please remember to keep your dog on a lead as there are nesting birds on the moorland and of course lambs in springtime. :)
CIMG2728.JPG
Looking into the Hole of Horcum
CIMG2729.JPG
CIMG2730.JPG
CIMG2733.JPG
Looking north towards Whitby..RAF Fylingdales Early warning Station in the distance
CIMG2745.JPG
Dundale Pond, an ideal picnic spot, this is the second pond on the route the other one has dried up!!
CIMG2747.JPG
Not the best of pics, bot the V shaped cutting behind the sheep is an earthwork over 2000 years old and stretches quite a long way along the path way
CIMG2751.JPG
An ideally placed watering hole in Levisham
CIMG2757.JPG
CIMG2762.JPG
How did they get up there???
CIMG2769.JPG
The farm building has long since been abandoned but it does seem to have had some tiles replaced since last time I saw it. Maybe the giant Wade is coming back!
Attachments
CIMG2765.JPG
Heading into the Hole!!
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Hole of Horcum.

Postby Alistairs » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:55 pm

Shame, I didnt know you were down thhis way I could have taken you around a fair few walks, if youre ever down is way again just ask and ill meet up and we can get a walk in
Alistairs
Mountaineer

Postby colgregg » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:20 am

Seems like a decent stroll. The N.Y. Moors provide some excellent and safe walking, steeped in history and often with far reaching views. I haven't walked on the moors yet as there's still Yorks Dales areas which need doing, but my brother is out and about on them weekly. I never knew they charged for parking though but I suppose that's life today. If there's a place people will visit there's an opportunity to make money. It's the same at Sutton Bank on the western edge as it's another "hot spot" with dramatic views.
Fylingdales just is not the same nowadays. I remember when the three giant "golf balls" were there and the kids getting excited when they came into view fron the A171. That signified that we were almost at Whitby and the seaside. Thank god theyve grown up!!!
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181

Postby Alistairs » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:10 am

The people who are charging are the forestry commission and most of it goes back into making sure the tracks are safe, new styles and sign posts. There is hundreds of walks around here most which parking fees can be avoided if you know where to look.

Goathland, hole of horcum and north yorkshire railways are extremely popular
Alistairs
Mountaineer

Postby L-Hiking » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:52 pm

Thanks for the reply, I can also remember those 3 White Golf Balls on the moors, it did seem a shame when they were removed and the modern pyrimid erected.
:(
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141

Postby Alistairs » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:04 pm

It use to make us laugh as the locals around here protested for years because they were an eye sore but they brought thousands of tourists here and then when they were to be taken down they protested for years to keep them. :lol:

"Nowt queer as folk" as they say rand ere :?
Alistairs
Mountaineer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland