walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Liathach in Fog

Liathach in Fog

Postby JonetCol » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:37 pm

Munros included on this walk: Mullach an Rathain (Liathach), Spidean a' Choire Lèith (Liathach)

Date walked: 19/06/2011

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 11.2 km

Ascent: 1311m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

As a Xmas Box, my wife Colleen had booked me three days in Torridon, which included a guided walk. I chose Liathach for the 'guiding' as I was unsure of navigating the pinnacles in poor visibility. As it turned out the tops were covered in mist from the outset and I was hugely reassured to be accompanied by the excellent Richard from Torridon Activities.
The day started badly, as I was stiff and tired from the 300 mile plus journey from home the previous day - when the sky was also much clearer!
PICT1462.JPG
Liathach seen clearly day before

During the early steep ascent I struggled badly with my 62 year old legs and abs still sore from the drive. At one point both Richard and I worried if I would make it. Luckily I got a 'second wind' as we approached the steep scramble to the ridge to the west of Bidean Toll a Mhuic. My relief turned to awe as a break in the cloud allowed a spectacular view to the depths of Coire Dubh Mor and across to Beinn Eighe - what an amazing place!
PICT1419.JPG
across to Beinn Eighe

Sadly the cloud quickly dropped again, obscuring all but a few feet of visibility.

We continued along the ridge and over a couple of smaller tops to reach the thumb-like summit of Spidean a' Choire Leith (1055m). En route the mist had given the ridge an eerie Tolkien-like air.
PICT1421.JPG
View W to scotland's last active volcano

As we looked back we found we had company.
PICT1425.JPG
Two tax officials in pursuit

Reaching the summit allowed a break for water and the obligatory 'evidence' shot.
PICT1422.JPG
me atop Spidean

The scramble over the Fasarinen Pinnacles was exciting - to put it mildly. Though the dangers are obvious I felt calm throughout - reassured no doubt by the presence of my skilled guide. There was no view to speak of - other than down!
PICT1426.JPG
view down from the Pinnacles

We stayed with the Pinnacles all the way, apart from one point where the alternative path was so close it made little difference. At this point I chose to crawl under, rather than manouevre round, a bit of an outcrop and before we knew it Mullach beckoned. It was a bit of a climb - but when you know you are so close you hardly notice - and then we were there!
PICT1427.JPG
Atop Mullach an Rathain

We then began the steep descent down wet slippery sandstone and loose rock. Great efforts have been made to create a decent path but the elements resist strongly. A little lower the sky was clearer providing views up and down Glen Torridon.
PICT1431.JPG
View E along Glen Torridon

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

PICT1429.JPG
W along the Glen

I look back on it as a fantastic experience and one I'd be happy to repeat alone - in better visibility. Meantime many thanks to my ace guide Richard.
JonetCol
Munro compleatist

Munros:112   Corbetts:1

Re: Liathach in Fog

Postby Morag M » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:03 pm

Well done, looks like you had a great time :D despite having such a lot of low cloud.
Morag M
Mountain Walker

Munros:118   Corbetts:4
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Bod » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:22 pm

Excellent and well done....hoping to follow in your steps soon. Thanks.. :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby monty » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:56 am

Well done. Shame about the weather. Looking for sunshine before i head of up there. :D
monty

Postby ChrisW » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:52 am

Great effort JonetCol, such a shame about the clag but it did provide some real atmosphere to a few of those pics. You still managed to keep it interesting and sneak a few great shots through the mist, enjoyed sharing, thanks :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby kevsbald » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:41 pm

It won't win WOTM after Liathach on Fire but I applaud your efforts to do this.
Well done that man.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby Graeme D » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:06 pm

JonetCol wrote:As a Xmas Box, my wife Colleen had booked me three days in Torridon

And I applaud your wife's choice of Xmas gift! 8) Good stuff!
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Alastair S » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:38 pm

Yes, good effort. Love the active volcano pic :lol:
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland