walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Moruisg & Sgurr nan Ceannaichean

Moruisg & Sgurr nan Ceannaichean

Postby JonetCol » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:37 pm

Munros included on this walk: Moruisg

Corbetts included on this walk: Sgùrr nan Ceannaichean

Date walked: 20/06/2011

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 12.8 km

Ascent: 1067m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having recovered - thanks to anti-inflammatories and a hot bath - from Liathach the day before, I set off from the car park about 1km from the W end of Loch Sgamhain. I thought a nice grassy stroll up Moruisg and across to ex-Munro Sgurr nan Ceannaichean would be a trouble-free respite after the gruelling Big L. Wrong....

The first problem came in the shape of a huge bull blocking the end of the little tunnel under the railway. "Was it not just a cow" you might ask. Fair question, but if it was you could go ten-pin bowling with the contents of its udders. It wasn't going to move and I didn't want to photograph it in case I ended up writing this report from A&E, so I headed W along the railway line for 100m or so and took a fresh bearing up the pathless slopes. The second problem was how deceptively steep a slog it was, not helped by frequent peat hags and the slippery wet grass. The summit was covered in cloud so I looked back quite a lot on the lower slopes to enjoy the views N towards Glen Torridon.
PICT1434.JPG
view N across Glen Carron to Torridon

A problem I find with these rounder hills is that you keep thinking you are close to the summit ridge when its only the next bit of horizon - and so it was here. The absence of a path slowed me too, as I had to keep checking my bearing. I began to enter the clouds but fortunately my navigation held and in the mist I stumbled on to the cairn.
PICT1436.JPG
Moruisg evidence shot

Soon after visibility was down to a few feet at best, but heading hopefully on a bearing SW I ended up on a decent path edging the cliffs of Coire Toll nam Bian leading down into the Coire an Tull Bhain and then up the steep rock strewn slopes of Sgurr nan Ceannaichean (SnC). by the time I hit the summit ridge I was seriously doubting the SMC decision to demote this hill. Its a fair challenge, worthy in all respects (apart from a few centimetres) of Munro status. I stumbled from cairn to cairn in the dark before pausing for a snack.
PICT1440.JPG
atop SnC

I then set off, still in deep cloud, to seek the N ridge and my return.

I found a path, which was clear enough initially, but I managed to lose it and head across rougher, boggy, pathless ground towards the E bank of the Alltan na Feola. About a third of the way down the sky cleared enough to offer some lovely views, along and across Glen Carron.
PICT1441.JPG
Moruisg - cloud lifting

PICT1446.JPG
looking NE from SnC

PICT1447.JPG
looking back to SnC summit

PICT1451.JPG
N across the Glen

PICT1454.JPG
Moruisg clearing

PICT1455.JPG
NW across the Glen

After a tiring walk along the boggy E bank of the stream, I reached the car park without sight of the bull. I then had a drink and change of footwear and discovered I'd lost my keys. After nervously turning the car inside out 3 or 4 times I found they'd fallen into the spare tyre well. Following a silent prayer I set off back to Torridon, stopping to enjoy a view of Loch Maree.
PICT1458.JPG
Loch Maree on way home
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

JonetCol
Munro compleatist

Munros:112   Corbetts:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland