walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A spectator of the Inn Pinn.

A spectator of the Inn Pinn.

Postby IainG » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:43 pm

Route description: Sgùrr Dearg and the In Pinn

Munros included on this walk: Inaccessible Pinnacle

Date walked: 14/08/2009

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was a trip which WJ and I had planned since we were first guided up the Inn Pinn. WOuldn't it be nice to take up a few beer, sit on the ridge opposite the Inn Pinn and watch others ******* it, just like we did? Too right!

With the weather forecast of 80% cloud free and light winds, we headed up to Glenbrittle for a nostalgic trip back up Sgurr Dearg. Here's hoping it would be absolutely mobbed with the reputed 3 hour queues of guided walkers, clambering up and down the Pinn like a giant carousel. This had all the makings of a cracking trip.

Worryingly, the Glenbrittle campsite was surprisingly quiet for a summers day. We parked up getting one of the few pitches with electricity. Fine for chilling the beer.

In the morning we had a lazy start. A good fry up, a bit of a gibber, then up and away, unlike our previous experience of Sgurr Dearg, with a spring in our step!!

A great path as we headed into Coire na Banachdich. A new path has been constructed almost all the way to the foot of the hill.

The weather was reasonable, but the Cuilling just refused to shake off the cloud and mist. A glimpse of Sgurr Alasdair on the way up the shoulder of Sgurr Dearg.

Approaching the last scrambly section, we got a peek at the tip of the Inn Pinn over Sgurr Dearg. This is what we'd come to see.

It was still very misty when we arrived, giving a very eerie appearance to climbers on the Pinn.

For short periods, the cloud broke giving stunning views. The scale of the Cuillin is incredible.

The mist just hung around.

It was surprisingly quiet, but it was fascinating watching climbers go about the business. There was only one guide with one guided walker.

Two climbers clamber up from below.

Others prepare at the base of the Pinn. The scale of the Pinn can be seen.

Climbers start up the 'short side'.

After enjoying the views, we headed back down the surprisingly scrambly route we'd come up.

A rewarding experience.
IainG
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:11
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:4   

Re: A spectator of the Inn Pinn.

Postby kevsbald » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:35 pm

Okay, you'll wonder why I'm asking this but is it possible to climb the short side, unaided i.e. what grade of climb is it?
Consequences of a slip? Positive holds?
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby foggieclimber » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:48 pm

Current grade: Diff, but it might? be increased to VDiff in new edition of SMC Skye Climbing guide (which is due out by end of 2009 - SMC are currently seeking photos).

All the difficulties are in the lower section. Holds are very polished.

As to what damage you would do to yourself if you come off, I suppose it depends how high up you are when you fall, how you land, ... It will definitely range from between ouch to helicopter and body-bag.
Last edited by foggieclimber on Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
foggieclimber

Postby IainG » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:05 pm

My understanding (I'm not a climber) is that it's considered a Vdiff. I wouldn't or rather couldn't do it.

If you fell, the base is very, very solid :D
IainG
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:11
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:4   

Postby Paul Webster » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:40 am

I went to the base of the In Pinn with the same idea last year... in similar weather... and there was no-one climbing it at all. Rather annoying after hearing so much about hours long queues! It's a bizarre place though, and I'm not going up it again :shock:
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby IreneM » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:38 pm

Funnily, I didn't find the Inn Pinn nearly as scary as Sgurr Mhic Coinnich, which I thought was horribly exposed. :?
I love Skye and would happily climb the Pinnacle again, but I don't think I will EVER be persuaded to go up Mhic Coinnich again!
IreneM
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:195
Fionas:13   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:14

Postby Paul Webster » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:25 pm

I did also find Sgurr Mhic Choinnich terrifying, but then that is partly due to the lack of a rope! I did straight after the In Pinn and again, don't expect to repeat :D .
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland