walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lochnagar munros with Conachcraig - Gammy brought the clag

Lochnagar munros with Conachcraig - Gammy brought the clag

Postby rockhopper » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:02 pm

Route description: White Mounth Munros, Glen Muick

Munros included on this walk: Broad Cairn, Cairn Bannoch, Càrn a' Choire Bhòidheach, Càrn an t-Sagairt Mòr, Lochnagar

Corbetts included on this walk: Conachcraig

Date walked: 25/06/2011

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 28.9 km

Ascent: 1600m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hadn’t been out walking since my trip to Drumochter at the end of May for various reasons and was keen to get out. The weather forecast wasn’t great but was looking better towards Braemar and Aberdeen. So, late in the week decided to head towards the far east (I’m from Glasgow) for an overnight trip taking in a number of hills in that area.

As I drove up towards Braemar, I saw a couple of very keen looking hill walkers getting ready in the first of the Glenshee car parks. Recognised Gammy Leg Walker from the photos on the WH site so stopped, turned round and drove over to say hello. He was with JB and they were off to do some of the east Glenshee hills. Didn’t occur to me at the time that this was probably a bad omen….GLW brings the clag !......but it did later as I spent the rest of the morning and afternoon mostly in clag, cloud and mist. Nice meeting you both :D

Drove down to the car park at Spittal of Glenmuick – already quite a few cars there and some site work being carried out so normal toilets and power not working.

Lochnagar5+C activelog route 500 reduced.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Cloud level looked fairly low as I headed off initially on the Lochnagar path towards Conachcraig.

Last edited by rockhopper on Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Re: Lochnagar munros with Conachcraig - Gammy brought the clag

Postby kinley » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:07 pm

:D

Shame you'd sidled up to the Bringer of Clag. :lol:
kinley

Postby monty » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:10 pm

Excellent report Rockhopper. Thats quite a big walk. We done the same walk in the snow last year. Shame about the clag. :( Love the HDR on the waterfall :D

P.s. we measured it more at about 1350m of ascent though :D
monty

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:18 pm

Fine report rockhopper,pity about the clag,this was our target also on Sat,but glad we did Glenshee instead,want to have good views when Lochnagar time comes.
Thats a good time also for your round,gives me hope I can get round in under 10hrs.

rockhopper wrote:As I drove up towards Braemar, I saw a couple of very keen looking hill walkers getting ready in the first of the Glenshee car parks. Recognised Gammy Leg Walker from the photos on the WH site so stopped, turned round and drove over to say hello. He was with JB and they were off to do some of the east Glenshee hills. Didn’t occur to me at the time that this was probably a bad omen….GLW brings the clag !......but it did later as I spent the rest of the morning and afternoon mostly in clag, cloud and mist. Nice meeting you both

Ah me and my friend the "clag" welcome to my world of hillwalking rockhopper.

Nice meeting you also,maybe see you somewhere again sometime,if you fancy a walk with no views again. :lol: :lol:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby rockhopper » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:23 pm

monty wrote:P.s. we measured it more at about 1350m of ascent though :D
I was confused as well. My gps read over 1,700m so I checked it on the WH gps planner - if you open the gpx file on the planner it shows 1,744m of ascent as well. csimbad's report also showed 1,587m of ascent for the 5 excluding the corbett which I reckoned added about 200m so 1,744m seemed OK ?
rockhopper

Postby kinley » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:26 pm

Anquet puts it at about 1550m. Even for the piddly reascents of the White Mounth 5 munros and a corbett in 1350m would be cheap - perhaps Monty forgot to do the Corbett ;) :lol:
kinley

Postby rockhopper » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:35 pm

kinley wrote:Anquet puts it at about 1550m. Even for the piddly reascents of the White Mounth 5 munros and a corbett in 1350m would be cheap - perhaps Monty forgot to do the Corbett ;) :lol:
cheers - split the difference and amended to 1,600m - that should keep monty quiet :lol: for a wee while anyway
rockhopper

Postby monty » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:41 pm

Rechecked my gpx file from walkhighlands and it gives the round an ascent of 1526m in memory map. So I was short changing myself when I only claimed 1350 :lol: :lol:
monty

Postby rockhopper » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:55 pm

monty wrote:Rechecked my gpx file from walkhighlands and it gives the round an ascent of 1526m in memory map. So I was short changing myself when I only claimed 1350 :lol: :lol:
Does seem odd - I just downloaded your file lochmuikWH.gpx from your report, converted it to a route and uploaded to the WH gps planner - shows 1,604m of ascent. Anyway, 1600m will do me - I get my fill of figures at work during the day :lol:
rockhopper

Postby monty » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:01 pm

Aye, I dont think memory map ascents are that accurate so I will use WH walk planner in future :D
monty

Postby Merry-walker » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:11 pm

Smashing report Rockhopper :D
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby xslawekx » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:42 pm

It's a good walk, that one is and a good report too, albeit I'm seeing you weren't too lucky with the weather. I have done it myself on Tuesday 28th of June and the weather couldn't have been better - long sunny spells and almost no wind. I extended the walk slightly by taking on Tolmount and Tom Buidhe before going up the Broad Cairn what adds up to 38km and over 2000m of ascent...
xslawekx

Munros:282   Corbetts:211
Fionas:169   Donalds:57
Sub 2000:335   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:8   Islands:13

Postby ChrisW » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:04 pm

Great stuff rockhopper, shame the curse of Gammy came upon you for all 5 tops. That walk up Conachcraig must have been a pull, I walked down that side and it was enough for me :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Alastair S » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:24 pm

Wow, that's a big day. Good spot on the swallows, shame about the clag.

As for gpx altitude it seems to be a general weak point to GPS. I was on a beach once and my GPS phone thought I was at 70m, whereas it is hardly more than 10-20m out horizontally. I just report what my ViewRanger says and don't worry too much about the accuracy.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby rockhopper » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:54 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:Fine report rockhopper,pity about the clag,this was our target also on Sat,but glad we did Glenshee instead,want to have good views when Lochnagar time comes.
yup - it would be great on a nice day. The weather was supposed to be better but the cloud was lower than expected :shock:
rockhopper

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland