walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

37 Clicks and 4 Munros in the Cairngorms

37 Clicks and 4 Munros in the Cairngorms

Postby andrewdoggett » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:55 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Bhrotain, Monadh Mòr, Mullach Clach a' Bhlàir, Sgòr Gaoith

Date walked: 30/06/2011

Time taken: 9.3 hours

Distance: 37.4 km

Ascent: 1936m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A changeable forecast; the best of which seemed to be in the Cairngorms had me decided on a 20 km walk taking in Sgor Gaoith and Mullach Clach a'Bhlair... After the first kilometre or so on the road the track takes to the hillside through the forest; there is a good path underfoot and the going is easy.

DSCN0060.JPG
The Foxtrots path up through the forest...

The climb to Sgor Gaoith was easy enough and I was feeling good on the plateau; enjoying the space and the fresh air. To the west I could see the first rainshower approaching - well changeable conditions in the Cairngorms was never going to see me survive without at least one soaking. Bring it on...

DSCN0076.JPG
The summit of Sgor Gaoith

Me on the summit of Sgor Laoith with the valley immersed in the rain cloud that had just passed over...

DSCN0084.JPG
Me on the summit of Sgor Laoith

The legs were feeling good; and I was enjoying the outdoors; so at this point I made the decision to extend my walk. A quick look at the map told me that Monadh Mhor and beinn Bhrotain were also doable in one fairly long circular walk; so off I set...

DSCN0091.JPG
The view back toward Sgor Laoith from the grassy plateau

The going was easy; largely over grassy plains and it felt good to be outside; taking it all in without a soul in sight.

DSCN0093.JPG
View back toward Sgor Laoith from the summit of Tom Dubh; one of the remotest mountains in the country

And the scenery just got better and better; looking toward Carn Toul...

DSCN0094.JPG
Dwarfed on Tom Dubh (918m) by the massive Carn Toul...

DSCN0095.JPG
One of many river crossings...

DSCN0096.JPG
The view down the valley...

And all the while; the soakings kept coming; heavy rain showers arriving with the predicability of the sun rising each day...

DSCN0098.JPG
The next rain shower...

And after the latest soaking; from the top of the Monadh Mhor; the views just got better and better; and even more expansive...

Carn Toul.jpg
The Cairngorm Massif - Braerich; through Carn Toul; and the dEvils Point making up the foreground in this epic view

The hop skip and a jump over to Beinn Bhrotain is fairly easy going; first on grassland and then a good path and the views forward; and backward alike are equally stunning...

DSCN0109.JPG
Looking forward from Monad Mhor to the summit of Beinn Bhrotain.

Monad Mhor.jpg
The view back to Monad Mhor; with Braerich in the distance...

And that was the outward trip complete; just the small matter of getting back to contend with now... A fairly long one hour hailstorm saw me all the way to Mullach Clach a'Bhlair and had me cursing when I looked up and took a painful beating on the nose from a rather large stone... Other than a huge herd of wild deer in the valley there wasn't much to report on the way over; I took the track descent to the valley and the final walk along the river through gorgeous old pines was beautiful; although the legs were feeling it a bit by now!!

DSCN0126.JPG
The walk back along the river through the old pines...

As ever; the route...

2011 - 06 - 30 - Sgor Gaoith.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

And the stats...

IMAG1405.jpg
A leisurely 37.4 clicks in 9 hours and 20 mins :)

And some wee video clips of the walk that may give more of an idea than the photographs...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkm9d0NuEq8[/youtube]
Last edited by andrewdoggett on Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   

Re: 37 Clicks and 4 Munros in the Cairngorms

Postby monty » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:13 pm

Nice one Andrew. Looks like prime running country. Still a big walk though with some great pictures :D
monty

Postby victoriajarrett » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:56 pm

think you need to speak a little louder babe ;) never mind, first voice-over - room for improvement...
victoriajarrett
Mountaineer

Munros:41   
Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:1   

Postby iainwatson » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:21 pm

nice report,eyeing this for saturday although i'm thinking more 11-12 hrs for me which with 3-4 hrs drive before and after maybe too much.....
iainwatson
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   

Postby Bod » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:13 pm

Great stuff Andrew, you are obviously feeling well fit the noo! Love the video ending with the herd of deer... :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby Merry-walker » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:48 pm

Good one Andrew, great to get deer on camera. Great report and photies. You've certainly been getting up loads of hills :) 8)
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:34 am

Nice one Andy

victoriajarrett wrote:think you need to speak a little louder babe ;) never mind, first voice-over - room for improvement...

Woman allways find a slight flaw somewhere eh :D

That video clip could be your first steps to stardom, with your own hillwalking show. Time to step down Cameron Mcneish :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Frogwell » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:42 pm

Sunrise at 08:12 and Sunset at 16:49 at the end of June?

I'm thinking your magic box is telling you lies!
Frogwell
Hill Bagger

Munros:265   Corbetts:100
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:2   

Postby andrewdoggett » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:24 pm

iainwatson wrote:nice report,eyeing this for saturday although i'm thinking more 11-12 hrs for me which with 3-4 hrs drive before and after maybe too much.....

It's good terrain - you should be okay. The powers that be say it''s quicker to return over Monadh Mhor if that helps, and you'd lose less height, but I think a full circle is a better route...

Frogwell wrote:Sunrise at 08:12 and Sunset at 16:49 at the end of June?

Acht, we've been through this :? :lol:

The tell tale red cross means I took this picture at home where in my study there's no GPS reception, so it defaults to the default setting... 101 km from the start as the crow flies, I'll do a Sat Map Masterclass sometime :D
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Postby Cuil Lodair » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:43 pm

andrewdoggett wrote:.

The tell tale red cross means I took this picture at home where in my study there's no GPS reception, so it defaults to the default setting... 101 km from the start as the crow flies, I'll do a Sat Map Masterclass sometime :D

Andrew, why not just take a Satmap Screenshot right at the end of your walk instead of waiting and that would save any further confusion? :?

You will know this already, of course, but for other users who may not.....
To take a Screenshot, press and hold the backlight boost button for three seconds. :)
Cuil Lodair
Munro compleatist

Munros:91   Corbetts:76
Fionas:27   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby andrewdoggett » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:06 pm

Cuil Lodair wrote:You will know this already, of course, but for other users who may not.....
To take a Screenshot, press and hold the backlight boost button for three seconds. :)

Errr and in a change of plan Cuil Lodair will be delivering the Sat Map Masterclass... :clap: :clap:

Thanks for the tip; note to self, must read manual, must read manual... :D :lol: :lol: :D
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Postby Frogwell » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:55 pm

andrewdoggett wrote:

Maybe so, but I'm going to point it out on your next trip report too :)
Frogwell
Hill Bagger

Munros:265   Corbetts:100
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:2   

Postby thufferin succotash » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:44 am

andrewdoggett wrote:
Cuil Lodair wrote:You will know this already, of course, but for other users who may not.....

Errr and in a change of plan Cuil Lodair will be delivering the Sat Map Masterclass... :clap: :clap:

Thanks for the tip; note to self, must read manual, must read manual... :D :lol: :lol: :D

Hey, thanks CL for that tip, been trying to figure that one out for ages ... knew it must be possible but as usual I've tried to run before I could walk. Like Andrew ... definite case of must RTFM before using the kit. :?

Trouble is, you've definitely let yourself in for a full time job .... as Walk Highlands Satmap Expert 8) 8)

Apologise in advance if I become a nuisance with my "CL, how do I do this ..." PM's :D Cheers
thufferin succotash

Postby Smooghead » Wed May 25, 2022 9:55 am

This was a great walk - I completed it yesterday (24/5/22).

However - a few points for future walkers to note.

The river crossings are not easy - many don't have large boulders to hop across, so its boots off and wade !

The end of the walk has changed significantly since 2011. Towards the end of the walk, the GPX route takes you down into Glen Feshie, to walk along the river. That track no longer exists, as the river has eroded the track for a good distance. I tried to use it and it cost me about 30 minutes before I headed back to see where the earlier track headed to. A new track has been constructed (second right toward the end of the track) but its not signposted. That new track will take you back toward the Achlean Croft which you then skirt around to get back to the car park.
Smooghead
Walker

Munros:147   

Postby goat_allu » Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:15 am

Smooghead wrote:This was a great walk - I completed it yesterday (24/5/22).

However - a few points for future walkers to note.

I wish I'd read these before doing this :lol:
goat_allu
Walker

Munros:27   Corbetts:8

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland