walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Day at Work- New River Gorge, WV-USA

A Day at Work- New River Gorge, WV-USA

Postby rvrscum » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:42 pm

Date walked: 24/07/2009

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

To compliment my earlier TR about the Kaymoor Trail, thought I'd share this from today. I work as a river guide and kayak instructor here in the mountains of West Virginia. We primarily run two rivers here commercially, the New and Gauley. The New has the longer season, and where we are through the summer months. The Gauley is more challenging, and is a dam-released river we run in the fall.

The view from my office:

A look back upstream at Double Z Rapid:

This is a view of where the Kaymoor mine complex lies. The steps are here, but one cannot see anything from the river in the summertime. Just down a bit fom the rock cliffs in the center is where I was:

A view of the New River Gorge Bridge, which is the worlds second largest single-arch span bridge. It's 876 ft high, 3030 ft across. In October there is a festival where hundreds of BASE jumpers parachute off of it:

Me, the rvrscum (short for river-scum), at the helm:

Passing under the bridge:

Enjoy!!!
rvrscum

Munros:9   
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   

Re: A Day at Work- New River Gorge, WV-USA

Postby GarryH » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:14 pm

Some fine shots there rv,what does the bridge carry ? rail,road or just pedestrian? And if thats the second largest
where`s the largest ?
GarryH

Postby rvrscum » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:24 pm

GarryH wrote:Some fine shots there rv,what does the bridge carry ? rail,road or just pedestrian? And if thats the second largest
where`s the largest ?

It carries a four-lane divided roadway (US 19). The only day of the year it is legal to walk on the bridge is Bridge Day, always the third Saturday in October. It is closed to vehicular traffic, and folks stroll out to watch the jumpers and take in the view. The NRG bridge held the title until about 2001 when the Chinese built a single-arch span in Shanghai that is slightly bigger. That one looks similar to the Sydney Harbor Bridge down in Australia.
rvrscum

Postby GarryH » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:35 pm

Thanks for that rv,by the way love the office view.............
GarryH

Postby rvrscum » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:27 pm

GarryH wrote:Thanks for that rv,by the way love the office view.............

Appreciate the compliments GarryH, that view never gets old, but Iam looking forward to my vacation views on Skye in less than a week. WOOT WOOT!!!
rvrscum

Postby GarryH » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:04 pm

Hi there rv,Hope the Skye trip went well looking forward to some reports!
GarryH

Postby rvrscum » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:20 am

Had a great trip. Internet has been misbehaving at work (crappy wi-fi), plus I've been working to to try and catch up some of the money I blew in Scotland, but TR is in the works...
rvrscum

Postby Michelle » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:29 am

Glad you had a great time Kip! Look forward to hearing about it :D
Michelle
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:9
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:14

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland