walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

TRYFAN - Glyder Fach - Castell y Gwynt

TRYFAN - Glyder Fach - Castell y Gwynt

Postby susanmyatt » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:34 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Glyder Fach, Tryfan

Date walked: 09/08/2009

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hello all :D , had a great day yesterday, lovely day with the gang in Snowdonia, tackling Tryfan. Progress was a bit slower as there was an 8 Peak Challenge to add to the crowds on a summer saturday, also there was 9 in our group. An early start before 6 was necessary to get a full day of walking in :( Always time for a group shot after kit-up, thanks to a fellow walker.
IMG_1993.jpg
Ready for the off
This was our route.

Route_Title.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

It is such a steep climb that height is soon gained
IMG_2004.jpg
Llyn Ogwen
IMG_2008.jpg
View to the Carnedds
We were soon at the Cannon Stone and time for fun :lol:
IMG_2011.jpg
GIRLS JUST WANNA HAVE...
IMG_2014.jpg
.......FUN
We could now see Llyn Idwal as well as the north of Ogwen
IMG_2016.jpg
Idwal and Ogwen
Whats more we could see the way ahead, having climbed this before I knew this was a false summit
IMG_2017.jpg
Way ahead
The views got better but the climb was not getting any easier
IMG_2020.jpg
Llyn Bochlwyd & Llyn Idwal
IMG_2023.jpg
Lisa climbing
Soon enough we reached the summit and two of the lads do their party piece :lol:
IMG_2030.jpg
Commander Conroy shows the way
IMG_2032.jpg
Steve follows, point for style !
Although I didn't want to jump I did fancy sitting atop one of the stones and to the boys amusement they "manhandled" me up :clap:
IMG_2037.jpg
Yours truly at the summit
As we descended a look back showed how precarious the twin pinnacles are, nothing at the back but a drop :crazy:
IMG_2039.jpg
Adam and Eve
Another look at the dinosaur that is Tryfan
IMG_2042.jpg
Tryfan
On to Bristley Ridge up the chimney or gully
IMG_2043.jpg
To Bristley Ridge
where we picked up a stray, Nev, a lone walker joined us, not long before he thought we were nuts :lol:
IMG_2048.jpg
Group on the Ridge with Nev
As last time, the mist was about when we reached the Cantilever Stone, better luck next time :D
IMG_2052.jpg
Cantilever Stone
As we had a bite to eat we could see Y Gribin ridge, our route off
IMG_2058.jpg
Y Gribin
A last look back to Tryfan
IMG_2062.jpg
Tryfan and me
IMG_2068.jpg
Last look back
Not the longest of walks but the climb is hard work for little legs :lol: Hope you were out in the good weather, see you soon, love Sue :D :D :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Re: TRYFAN - Glyder Fach - Castell y Gwynt

Postby mountain tortoise » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:59 pm

Nice one Sue two classics in one. I am to slow for Tryfan these days I would cause a mighty que. Have been up Glyder Fach recently but by Cwm Tryfan not Bristley Ridge. Love the 'Girls just wanna have fun' great pics as usual well done.
mountain tortoise
Scrambler

Munros:10   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:56

Postby AndrewP » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:25 am

Hi Susan,

That looks much like a walk we are planning from Idwal Cottage.
In your opinion, is this route you've described the best one from around there?
I looks great!

btw: what was the rope for? Are there bits that need it? Or was that a group of climbers who happened to be in frame?
AndrewP

Munros:11   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   Islands:3

Postby susanmyatt » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:30 pm

Hi Andrew, thanks for the comment. The ropes were for climbers, all you need is strong thighs and knees and a reasonable head for heights. The previous time we carried on to Glyder Fawr and down Devils Kitchen to Idwal, due to the reasons stated it didn't leave us the time (thank goodness :lol: ) This I believe is the best route if you like a scramble but there are easier routes, if you don't want to pay at the cottage to park, if early enough, there is lots of parking near to the base of Tryfan, see map, thanks Sue :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Postby mountain coward » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:22 am

Great report and pics - you're way braver than me - I've done the North Ridge which I found okay, and Y Gribin which I wasn't keen on but can't see me ever doing Bristly!
mountain coward

Postby susanmyatt » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:07 pm

It's a great walk and as I said despite the small distance all of us felt it the next day and we walk every weekend. All the girls had bruises and scrapes on their shins and knees, proper tomboys :lol:
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Postby GarryH » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:16 pm

Some great photo`s there Sue, you`ve done really well to do Bristly twice.My excuse is I was on my own so bottled
out.Perhaps one day.
GarryH

Postby susanmyatt » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:26 pm

Thanks Garry, perhaps next time you could come with us, its very rare we shy away from anything, as Mr. Conroy always says............ "I think it's doable" :crazy:
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland