walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn a'Ghlo

Beinn a'Ghlo

Postby clivew » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:38 am

Route description: Beinn a' Ghlò

Munros included on this walk: Bràigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain, Càrn Liath (Beinn a' Ghlò), Càrn nan Gabhar

Date walked: 02/07/2011

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 23 km

Ascent: 1289m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Did this walk on what was probably the best day of the year so far and an ideal day for climbing the 3 Munros on this route. I reached the car park near Loch Moraig at about 09.30 and had a quick coffee and snack before setting of along the track. The car park already had about 10 cars parked and I could see various groups heading off along the track ahead of me. For the first time this year I started the walk in shorts a T shirt and even a pair of shades, it was great not to have to wear a fleece and waterproofs but it did add to the weight of my pack.
The track is very easy to follow and the white scar of a track on the SW face of Carn Liath could be seen for miles; the start of the climb is just far enough from the car park to get your legs and lungs working and although its fairly steep it's a good climb to the summit of Carn Liath. Reached the first of the three summits after about one and a half hours and sat and rested for a while taking in the magnificent views all around and a great view of the whole route along to Braigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain and Carn nan Gabhar. Met up with 2 guys from Dunfermline, Eric and Alan, who were doing the same route so decided to take advantage of the company and stick with them for the day. Because of the lack of cloud the path along to the second top was easy to follow and the climb up was a lot gentler than the climb to Carn Liath. The whole of this ridge gives fantastic views and I could see the walk I did last week at Carn Chlamain on the opposite side of Glen Tilt. After a Mars bar stop on the top of the second Munro we pushed of again for the summit (or should I say summits) of Carn nan Gabhar; again this part of the route was easy to follow and not too steep a climb. By the time we reached the third summit we had been joined by about a dozen others everyone seemed to be enjoying their day. Instead of going back down to the Bealach we decided to walk along to the summit of Airgiod Bheinn which at 1061 metres gave us a top to add to our three Munros. We knew there was a track heading down from the end of the ridge but managed to loose it in the rocks and ended up taking a direct route straight down the very steep side of the ridge; it was an interesting descent to the stream but in the good conditions we were experiencing not too difficult. Once at the bottom of Airgoid Bheinn it was easy to pick up the path back towards the main track and we reached the car park before 6.00 which was good timing. Had a very enjoyable walk with Alan and Eric and hopefully will meet them both on another Munro in the future.
clivew
Mountain Walker

Munros:157   
Sub 2000:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland