walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Seana Bhraigh

Seana Bhraigh

Postby mountainman » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:00 pm

Munros included on this walk: Seana Bhràigh

Date walked: 14/08/2009

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This hill has always intrigued me after I saw it in Cameron McNeishs' book several years ago and having seen it from various angles from other hills I spontaneously decided to drive up to Corriemulzie and hopefully see it for myself. Last summer I climbed Suilven, Canisp and Cul mor and the view to Seana Bhraigh is awesome, certainly viewed through binoculars.

So. after driving up to Inveroykll I headed west along a forest track to Corriemulzie lodge. My plan was to wil camp at the foot of the hill but when reaching the lodge the midges were mental so I opted to sleep in the car that night and set off early morning. 6am...still midge hell so grab my bike and made a quick dash past the lodge cottages and in the early morning sun Seana Bhraigh looked inviting. I crossed the river a couple of times and headed on up towards the bothy and once about halfway there ditched the bike and crossed the river coming from the loch and headed up to the obvious col where the outflow from the Luchd Choire lochans comes down.

From here I ascended the western ridge, zig zagging my way up the hill at a leisurely pace and once up onto the plateau the views towards Coigach, Cul Mor, Suilven etc opened out before me.

A word of warning...as I was climbing up here I decided to keep to the ridge edge and became complacent and as I was walking my walking pole disaapeared into a hole below. Investigating this I was shocked to discover that I had walked over a boulder field where looking into this hole must have been a good 12foot square and much the same in height so would not like to fall in there. This area is moss covered and I realised then that there were a few gaps like this so be careful if walking here in winter. The area is the last steep part as you climb up towards the lochan on this plateau.

Once at the lochan the summit is a fairly easy climb and when I reached there I had good 360 views. The view to An Teallach and also the view back down the glen to Corriemulzie lodge captivated me. The Luchd Coire below was mesmerizing sitting right on the edge with steep cliffs dropping straight away below me. As the weather was holding out I decided to climb Creag an Duine so with an easy stroll around the rim I was soon climbing up and finally onto this very prominant peak. Again the views all around were immense and I was glad that after several years of swooning over the pictures of this hill that I was blessed with good weather and clear views. I have a plan to walk into this hill through Glen Alladale up onto Carn Ban so it was good to see the distance involved to come in from that direction and the lie of the land to study before I do.
Sitting on this peak with sheer drops was exhilarating and I had lunch, glass of vino and a siesta before descending down the steep path leading down to the col where I had walked up in the morning. From here I headed over to where I had ditched the bike and it was an easy cycle back to Corriemulzie lodge.

In hindsight I realised that I should've crossed the burn and kept to the right hand side to head up on to the western end of the hill and this would've taken me up to the lochan but in a more gradual ascent. All in all...an excellent days walking 12hrs in all...but I took plenty of 10 minute stops for photos and just to soak up the atmosphere of the place as I knew how long I had been waiting to do this hill. I'll climb any hills and some of my favourites I return and do 2 or 3 times to experience them throughout the seasons. As this is my first walk report I have put the photos at the end until I suss out how to put them where I want them in the txt.

Seana Bhraigh 016.jpg

Seana Bhraigh 022.jpg

Seana Bhraigh 038.jpg

Seana Bhraigh 067.jpg

Seana Bhraigh 110.jpg

Seana Bhraigh 144.jpg

Seana Bhraigh 152.jpg

Seana Bhraigh 266.jpg

Seana Bhraigh 302.jpg

Seana Bhraigh 524.jpg
mountainman

Munros:19   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   

Re: Seana Bhraigh

Postby kevsbald » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:30 pm

Wow - I didn't realise it was quite as majestic. I must do it. :)
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby foggieclimber » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:03 pm

Nice to see this hill again. I sat on top of this one and watched the sunset over Assynt and then walked back out to Duag Bridge reaching the car at 03.00am.

Couple of photos of Seana Bhraigh with a winter coat on (taken when I did Carn Ban):

foggieclimber

Postby mountainman » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:53 pm

foggieclimber,

Good to see some winter shots..I'm busy walking the various hills and Glens on OS map20..( I call it my backyard, living in Tain I can get to them fairly quickly in winter time as well. I walk a lot up Glen Calvie, ( Carn Chuineag etc ) and Glen Alladale. Hoping to do some winter walking/filming through the glens and a few hills in between.
mountainman

Postby Graeme D » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:22 pm

****, I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight! I'll have visions of Seana Braigh going round in my head 'til morning! :lol: Love the picture with the black clouds and the rainbow!
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby monty » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:34 am

Nice pictures. A great looking, must climb soon, munro :D
monty

Postby bigbertie » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:51 pm

great pics mountainman - there is something fascinating about this hill. I have not done it yet and quite fancy it as a last Munro - hopefully next year. Might do a winter trip, or scramble up Creag an Duine and maybe exit via Carn Ban & Alladale. It's good to have a contributor from the North East - looking forward to hearing about your ascent via Alladale when you do it.
bigbertie

Postby mountainman » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:48 pm

Thanks Bigbertie! My OS 20 map has scribbles all over it from walks on Chuinneag,Diebidale Ridge, Glen Alladale, etc etc. Seana Bhraigh was over all too soon but I do tend to do the hills that capture me a few times over so I'll be back. I'm hoping to do Carn Ban trip in the Autumn, ( hopefully no midges) and then drop into Alladale where I can drop off a mountainbike prior to walk so it's an easier journey out. If you're interested on a walking partner on your walk give us a shout.
mountainman

Postby mountain coward » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:19 am

Beautiful pics of the mountain's spectacular side! I did it from the more boring back from Meall Ceaprechain and co (or Meal Capricorn as I call it) - a nice easy walk but you don't really get to see it properly from that side. I'm determined to do it again from the Strath Mulzie - probably with the fold-up bike and probably take my walking buddy Richard as he'll love the 'castle' bit. Unfortunately, the week I did it before was the week I forgot to take my camera to Scotland! :(
mountain coward

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland