walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A week along the Rivers Divie, Findhorn, and Moriston

A week along the Rivers Divie, Findhorn, and Moriston

Postby rvrscum » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:58 am

Date walked: 10/06/2011

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I've just returned to the U.S. from a very good vacation in Scotland. My visit was nearly three weeks. I've travelled to Skye with friends twice before, and for this trip I wanted to go ahead of them and do some of my own things, which is paddling. Over here in the states, I work for a whitewater rafting company called North American River Runners. We were recently accqired by a larger firm called Ace Adventure Resort. Doing web-based research for my upcoming trip, I discovered that there was a U.K.-based company called Ace Adventures as well. After some e-mail exchanges, I was invited to come visit my "cousins" as it were and go boating with them. So for the first week of my trip I was near Forres and got to paddle on the Rivers Findhorn and Moriston, as well as hike along the River Divie right by where I was staying. Here's some views of the Divie from a trail that started right in front of the cottage I stayed in:

The River Divie empties into the River Findhorn just below Randolph's Leap. I learned that Randolph, Earl of Moray didn't actually make the leap, but Alistair Bane did instead, to escape the Earl's men after a savage battle. The Earl then besieged Bane's boyhood home Dunphail Castle, which is a short detour from the trail alongside the river:

Alistair Bane was able to sneak into enemy lines and get food to his Castle, only to be pursued and cornered in this cave, where he was ultimately burned to death, as it was only a small cave:

Much more pleasant is the gardens of Dunphail estate:

Here are some pics of Randolph's Leap taken from the River Findhorn:

Other views along the River Findhorn:

This stag on an outing makes his own leap:

Some of me having fun:

We also made a the journey up to Loch Ness and Invermoriston to catch the dam-released whitewater of the River Moriston. I found this stream very engaging:

rvrscum

Munros:9   
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   

Re: A week along the Rivers Divie, Findhorn, and Moriston

Postby LeithySuburbs » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:31 pm

If I were to pick a favourite river in Scotland, the Findhorn it would be :) . Nice trip :) .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby ndhudson » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:04 pm

Beautiful beautiful and a bit scary... :shock: Is it as nerve racking as it looks? I've yet to try kayaking or river running, though we have plans this summer to try a few easy trips here in Utah. You're pretty lucky to have such an adventurous job.

Great photos! :)
ndhudson
Munro compleatist

Corbetts:1

Postby rvrscum » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:32 pm

Whitewater boating is a great way to spend time outside. You can pick your battles so to speak, with higher classes of rapids demanding more skills. Like navigation skills with a map and compass on land, with the river its about reading the water, interpreting what's presented, making a decision and then executing the chosen line. Rafts are way more stable than kayaks and can carry more gear, but require more logistics. Kayaking is much more demanding of individual skills, but easier to carry around. Going with a commercial outfitter is always a good way to check the scene out.
rvrscum

Munros:9   
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:33 am

Lovely photos - thanks for posting. I've always fancied having a go at one of those long trips down the Spey with camps along the way.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby monty » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:21 am

Nice report rvrscum.
Excellent photos of the rock formations in the river and above. Great paddling too :D
monty

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland