walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Challum, near Tyndrum

Ben Challum, near Tyndrum

Postby bio-man » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:43 pm

Route description: Ben Challum, near Tyndrum

Munros included on this walk: Ben Challum

Date walked: 04/08/2008

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The most accurate word to describe this mountain is BOGGY!!! At least for the first half.

There are parking spaces on the A82 should the spot described be full, although 4 cars managed to squeeze in. Take time to read the board about St Fillan, next to the cemetery. Once over the footbridge, stay on the right side of the track, round the hump and uphill towards the obvious gap in the ferns and the deer fence. Until the main ascent to the South Top, the route is very boggy. It is advisable to cross to the opposite side of the fence and indeed to stay that side until the small lochan. The second stile over the deer fence is very awkward in the wet!!

The low cloud, cold wind and driving rain made the ascent a bit of a slog, especially knowing what views could be seen on a clear day. Once you reach the south Top, head north to the cleft as described. It provided excellent shelter for lunch on the descent. Another 'easy' ascent in good conditions changed abruptly in poor visiblity. The chap in front headed off in the wrong direction at the Top and proved that map, compass and the ability to use them are essential. he was using a pre-programmed route in his GPS. After the cleft, a quick ascent onto a short ridge, which was interesting in the wet and low clouds. Descend for 40m or so then a burst through the rocks to the cairn at the summit. Two photos thena quick turnround and back to the cleft for lunch. 'Bad Hill Day' moment...sandwiches in the car!! My mate though I'd deliberately left them for eating on return!!! Didnt think to mention it!! Anyway, coffee and mars Bar sufficed.

The descent saw how quickly conditions change again. Freezing horizontal rain, then clearing clouds and hot sunshine!! Good views of Tyndrum and Crainlarich Hills. On the clear descent, you get a good idea of the 910m ascent over a short distance.

Not a mountain I will climb again but the conditions made it an interesting, hardgoing and enjoyable day out.

02AUG08 4 hours 45 minutes including lunch
Attachments
Crianlarich Hills.jpg
Ben Challum summit.jpg
Ben Challum descent2.jpg
Towards Ben Oss and Beinn Laoigh
bio-man
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   

Re: Ben Challum, near Tyndrum

Postby bigbertie » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:47 pm

bio-man, like you we did this is poor conditions, rain most of the way, snow on the top and dense fog or cloud! (It's the sort of mountain one does on bad days - you wouldn't want to waste a good day on it!). I wasn't expecting any navigating problems, but those twin tops ARE confusing in zero visibility. The weather did not clear for us on the way down but we did see some ptarmigan. We didn't manage a photo though. Like you it's not on my repeat list but you never know!
bigbertie

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland